1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys carry you're gear

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by lucasgnick, Jun 2, 2017.

1. lucasgnick

lucasgnick Empty Pockets

How do you guys carry you're stuff in wear jeans and find that I got bulging pockets with my stuff [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

2. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I carry stuff to specifically reduce bulging, weight, and discomfort.

LF: smartphone
    RF: Leek, 2 on keys and fob on P7 clip, MicroStream
    RB: wallet
    LB: white handkerchief

Shirt pocket or button placket: F701

3. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

Small belt pouch; specifically a modded Maxpud rat wallet. It fits my minimal wallet, lip balm, small AAA flashlight, & "survival" card thingy, with a little bit of room to spare.

4. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

Swisschamp and flashlight clipped to the right pocket with a pad of paper and fisher pen in the same pocket, wallet and change in the left pocket, handkerchief in the back pocket, everything else that is work specific in a book bag. I have found the trick to caring bulky stuff like knives and lights is to have them hanging from the pocket and not down at the bottom.

Jeff4snow and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Items vary, but the general arrangement is pretty much always the same:
    LF: Slim wallet, folding knife and a chap stick. Usually don't use the clip on my knife, but I will always use dangler for my alox Cadet.
    RF: Phone, ear protection. Sometimes a pencil.
    Watch pocket: AAA flashlight.

Everything else in a backpack.

Depending on my pants and the shape of the pockets, I usually end up with a small Sebenza or an alox Cadet filling the knife function.
    With the right knife for the pants, this setup is very light and agile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

I only wear 5.11 taclite pro pants or shorts, both of which have identical pocket configurations. I cannot stand blue jeans (don't keep their shape at all, retain odors badly, should they get wet you stay that way for a long time, are not durable and offer inadequate protection) and I require more storage and utility from my daily clothes. My placement is as follows:

• multitool (in custom sheath), spare mag (in custom sheath) and Maxped keyper are all on my belt, left side at 9 o'clock
    • knife is clipped in right leg front thigh pocket (on top/front of leg)
    • flashlight is clipped in left leg front thigh pocket (on top/front of leg)
    • firearm is IWB in holster at 2-2:30, right side
    • 2x CR123 in a delrin vault, suspended by a monroe dangler, clipped in trough of front pocket opening, right side
    • slim front pocket wallet w/ black titanium nitride bullet pen clipped to it in front pocket, ride side
    • custom hand-hammered bottle opener w/ paracord lanyard in front pocket, left side
    • keychain w/ carabiner and truck key+fob on paracord lanyard both are suspended from Maxped Keyper but are tucked in front pocket, left side
    • RITR weatherproof pen is clipped in trough of rear pocket opening, left side
    • RITR stapled mini notebook in custom leather cover in rear pocket, left side
    • phone in magpul bump case in rear pocket, right side
    • loaded Skinth 2XL in leg pocket, left side

While that may seem like a lot to some, it really isn't a burden because of the even distribution and priority placement according to dominant-hand and off-hand access. While particular elements may have changed over the years, this load-out placement has remained the same for several years and is proven to be both comfortable and highly effective for me. Items that see the most use are positioned forefront and do not share their location/space with anything else (knife, flashlight, wallet, and phone).

Fierce Smurf likes this.
  7. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

I think everyone reaches a point where they think about trimming the load. I used to carry a Wave, pens, and other tools but swapped that out for a SAK on a dangler in my front right pocket. Folder on my right side along with my phone and selected keys squished into a Keybar. 1911 IWB on the right side and a spare mag in my left back pocked. Larger SF flashlight was replaced with a little Olight. The Wave and other stuff I used to carry are now in the car along with other tools.

One I started to have trouble just reaching into my pocket to get stuff I knew I had too much crap on me not to mention I started to "clank" as I walked around.

All about balance for me.

#7 Dirty Rod, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Gary Gross and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Phone case wallet, rear left pocket.
    Car keys with qr beta flashlight, rear right pocket.
    Sebenza and bic lighter front right.

All I need.

9. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Ditch that :censored: Seahawks keychain and you'll be golden!

:rofl:

10. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Just looking at the picture you posted, lucasgnick, I think you could make your life a little easier if you had some sort of pocket pouch/carrier that would hold a few little items like your chapstick, lighter, and SAK. For example, I use a Chums wallet that carries my chapstick, nail clippers, and mini-prybar/pocket knife in addition to bandaids and other FAK stuff. Also, be aware that how bad your pockets bulge depends on your jeans. Some have bigger pockets than others.

Here's my typical jeans setup: (I'm right handed)

RF: keys on a pickpocket dangler, Chums surfshort wallet (mini FAK/tool carrier), begleri
    LF: Olight i3s clipped to the back corner of the pocket, County Comm LA wallet, small flip phone in neoprene case.
    Coin pocket: SAK or other small pocketknife.
    RR: thin day planner, thin moleskin notebook, County Comm Embassy pen clipped to front corner
    LR: Hanky/tissues, If it's dark out and I don't have a jacket, my Nitecore MT2A will be clipped to the front corner

I do have a belt holster from CLC that I'll use if I need to carry more pens/pencils, or just need more room in my pockets, but usually all that stuff fits in my jeans.

11. lucasgnick

lucasgnick Empty Pockets

lol that my nail clippers and bottle opener thing shuld I ditch my hat to?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

So, most days I am in jeans. This is what I carry and how:

• LF pocket:
      • old school, very slim Omron digital pedometer
      • Altoids FAK, with 'ranger band' on outside
      • small leather slip case (actually a Kaweco brand case for pocket size pens!) containing:
        • Fisher Space pen
        • Streamlight Microstream light
      • "Pickpocket" Ti dangler with the following on it:
        • house keys
        • NiteIze DooHickey
        • CountyCom mini Ti widgy prybar
        • LM Squirt PS4
      • very old school LG flip phone. NOT a smart phone!
      • NOTE: this is just a regular pocket; not a cargo pocket. I'm able to arrange these items so that they constitute a single flat layer is the pocket!
    • LB pocket:
      • Wallet. This is a large wallet; sort of a vest pocket style. I keep a small 3 x 5 notepad in it.
      • I live in a pretty safe suburban environment so I'm usually not concerned with pickpockets. When/if I venture into more crowded situations I'll often move some items from front to rear pocket so I can carry the wallet up front.
    • RB pocket:
      • bandana
      • sometimes a folding knife; I have a couple that are a bit larger and carry better back there.
    • RF pocket:
      • folding knife clipped to pocket so that blade is aligned with outer edge
      • leather coin pouch; this includes:
        • Sears 4 way screw driver; about the size of a quarter and just as flat
        • GI style P-51 can opener
      • brass money clip
      • small pill case for daily meds
    • Coin pocket
      • small knife; generally something the size of a Case peanut or similar size.
    • Belt sheath at 9 o'clock with a SAK usually a Huntsman
    • Car keys and small NiteCore Tube light on a 'biner on a belt loop on the right hand side.
    • Wrist watch -- left wrist
    • Glasses/sunglasses: duh. On of course!
    Except for the pocket with the wallet, nothing bulges; everything lies flat. One of the blessings of being a big guy -- the pockets on my jeans are proportionately large! LOL

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Water-Rat likes this.
  13. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

To answer the original question - How do you carry your gear? Because I am female - I use a bag. So, no bulging pockets.

14. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I'm kind of surprised so many of you carry gear in your back pockets. I would be constantly worried someone could pick it, and from some limited experience I assume it's uncomfortable to sit on as well.
    Not judging anyone. Just surprised.
    To me, I feel like knife, light and ear protection in addition to the regular phone, keys, wallet setup, solves most of my urgent needs. If I need pen and paper, I usually know in advance, if that fails I can always make notes or make a recording on my phone.
    For all the "nice-to-haves" my backpack is usually close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. crwoody

crwoody Loaded Pockets

I love my jeans. But they are pretty much reserved for work situations where I'm not carrying very much. I carry my gear in the cargo pockets of my shorts or my tactical pants. I can't stand things in my front and back pockets... no idea why, but it's just a weird me thing. :p.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

16. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I carry pretty light. Small Inkosi clipped in right front pocket. Keychain with Surefire Titan plus, Atwood ghost and 3 keys in right front pocket. Slim card wallet in right back pocket. Iphone 7 plus in left front pocket. Very comfortable with little bulk.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crwoody and Water-Rat like this.
  17. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm with you. So my backpacket carry as I indicated above, other than a bandana, is very dependent on size of item/environment/crowd density/probability of pickpockets in vicinity (subjective judgement!).

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

aicolainen and crwoody like this.
  18. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

In my case, if it were any other pant or short with "normal" size and shape back pockets, I would agree with you: bad idea. Because of the accommodating size and unconventional shape of the back pockets of 5.11 taclite pros, I never have a problem with my rear pocket contents being uncomfortable. The very tiny and thin RITR notebook inside the leather cover does get sat on, but I can't even tell it's back there when I do because it is so minimalist. And because of the aforementioned size and shape of the rear pocket, my phone never gets sat on, but shifts to the far bottom right of the rear pocket and actually is kind of on the outer portion of my behind/thigh versus directly underneath me. Also, the pockets secure themselves closed with velcro, and I would be immediately aware that anyone was going fishing.

aicolainen likes this.
  19. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I don't carry anything too valuable in my rear pockets. I find I prefer a small wallet up front to having any wallet in a back pocket. I do occasionally carry a second wallet in my back pocket though, with a little cash to use as a decoy wallet.

I don't think any of my back pocket carries are uncomfortable. The notebooks and hanky are soft and get squished slightly but with no issues. When I carry a pen, knife, or flashlight clipped to my rear pocket, I always push them next to the forward hem. This keeps them out of the way when I'm sitting down. I have my Spyderco dragonfly in my rear jeans pocket right now and I barely feel it there at all.

aicolainen likes this.
  20. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

your.

I slim down, basics only
    MT in front right pocket
    Wallet and chapstick in front left
    Phone in back left
    Car key and SOMETIMES a PS4 and E05 on LM 'biner on my belt loop.
    Sometimes a hank in my right rear pocket.

Thats it.
    Works great and Im never in need of anything...except more money!

Moshe ben David likes this.