1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys carry your huge smart phones ?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by r1dg3xrac3r, Nov 4, 2011.

1. r1dg3xrac3r

r1dg3xrac3r Loaded Pockets

Hey guys i recently upgrade from my Verizon Casio G'zone Rock to a HTC Thunderbolt. Must i say the thunderbolt is more bigger in length, width, and also heavier. Also it is also more fragile !! I got this phone because i was constantly picked on. Everybody else has either an Iphone or a HTC Evo. I squeezed the trigger and got the THunderbolt. Knowing its a expensive phone, I also purchased the Otterbox defender case to go with it. THe phone was mammoth to start with and with the otterbox case, its even bigger ! Overall..its a fun phone. So far i just clip it on my belt and it looks like a mini tablet on my waist. How do you guys carry your phones ? Besides putting it in the pocket....

dml24 likes this.
  2. CamoNinja

CamoNinja Loaded Pockets

Droid X in a Otterbox. Same way you do.

3. lokkenjawnz

lokkenjawnz Loaded Pockets

One thing to keep in mind, is that the HTC Thunderbolt, along with many other Android phones, has Gorilla Glass for the screen. What that means is that you'll never need a screen protector, as it's :censored: near impossible to scratch it. It's also shatter-resistant to a fairly large degree, I'm sure you could break it, but it'll certainly take more abuse than a comparable glass screened device.

I've had my Droid 2, which has the Gorilla Glass, for about a year now, and the screen is absolutely pristine. No case for it, or screen protector. I don't go out of my way to drop my phone obviously, but I've dropped it a handful of times with no problem. Congrats on the new phone!

4. r1dg3xrac3r

r1dg3xrac3r Loaded Pockets

Drats, wish i knew about it before shelling out 50+ bucks for the case.

5. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Gorilla Glass is highly scratch-resistant and harder to break than most glass, but it's neither scratch-proof nor shatter-proof. Don't do things like put your naked phone in a pocket with keys. Nor does Gorilla Glass protect your phone from things like coffee spills or weather. My Android phone has Gorilla Glass, but if there were an Otterbox case made for it I'd get one.

6. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I keep my blackberry torch in a otterbox case and I carry it in a Nite Ize holster for blackberry. I feel my phone is pretty safe and easy to carry.

7. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Droid X in a Kraken case made by Trident.
    I love this case.
    Carry it in a cargo pocket.

8. rabidchicken

rabidchicken Loaded Pockets

EVO in an otterbox defender on my hip

9. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

I keep my T-Mobile G2 naked in my front pocket. I put the glass pointing inwards and haven't had any problems, though I am careful not to put anything else in the pocket with it that could rattle around and scratch it up. I do have a few small dents in the metal back plate, but that's to be expected seeing as I had a very physical job.

Also, if you were getting picked on for the phone you have you need to find some better friends.

brokenoldman likes this.
  10. mrjam3s

mrjam3s Loaded Pockets

I do the same with or without my otterbox commuter case for my Droid Incredible...left front pocket with glass facing in...

11. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

With a rubber case and screen protector in my right front pants pocket, next to my knife. Gorilla glass will be scratched and if you look at phone forum you'll see it, play it safe and get a protector. The case however is only to mitigate the slippery factory shell, if it was grippy I'd go without one.

12. drb328
    • In Omnia Paratus

drb328 Loaded Pockets

Ottorbox oj the waist screen in. Droid incredible 2 btw

Sent from my ADR6350

13. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I made a case for my ipod touch so I could wear it on a lanyard around my neck.

indigo likes this.
  14. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

You have an expensive piece of hardware you carry around daily...you need to have a case.

My first Droid with gorilla glass was a month old when I dropped it glass down on the concrete, spider webbed the screen....$89 deductible even with my $7.99 monthly insurance plan....Once I received my replacement I never dropped that phone again, it still works perfect and looks pristine.

15. MadJoe

MadJoe Loaded Pockets

Galaxy S in an Otterbox Defender on my belt, left side. Sometimes I carry it with no case, screen protector only, in my left pocket glass facing in.

16. phreak480

phreak480 Empty Pockets

i carry my evo 4g in a seidio innocase. i also have the larger more rugged add on for the case as well for when i'm running around the woods with the army

17. pumbaa

pumbaa Banned

This is where I keep my Droid-X. Front pocket of my Max-P Lunada. Along with my earphone case, and earplug tube. I also have some hand wipes and lens wips that you can see under the X in the elastic.

[​IMG]

18. OpKey

OpKey Loaded Pockets

iPhone 4 in a Griffin Survivor case. Left side on the belt. Beast of a case. Two part case with a hard case w/ built-in screen protector and a outer case of some kind of thick rubber. Belt clip works either way, so it can be worn screen facing in or screen facing out. It was totally worth the money.

19. MusicPhan

MusicPhan Loaded Pockets

Wow...I was just about to post a very similar thread.

I have had an iPhone 4 with Otterbox Defender since early June (almost 5 months) and carry it in it's holster, clipped to the small 5th pocket (right front) of my jeans. It has never fallen off or dropped; it's loose but the clip always catches the top of the pocket. I would prefer to carry it on my belt, but the case rides way too high to be comfortable for my small and pudgy frame. And I frequently use the "magnifier" app to read price tags, receipts and menus, so having it where it is has been very convenient.

But what I have been thinking about lately is theft--someone plucking it from my pocket or out of it's holster while in public. One of the few things I don't like about the Defender is the Apple logo window. Don't get me wrong, I love to show off my iPhone; I just prefer to do it with friends, not strangers. How big is the risk of getting it stolen when it's carried like this? Granted, the "Find My iPhone" app works surprisingly well, but I don't want to test it "for real", and it took me more than a year to come up with the $200, much less $499 (retail) to replace it. Nevermind all the personal and professional info I keep on it (protected, yes, but a good hacker could solve that).

I know folks carry stuff on their belts all the time, but a multi-tool isn't quite as lucrative or tempting as an iPhone. Am I being paranoid, or is it a realistic concern?

I have been thinking of getting this for special occasions when the Defender is inappropriate.
    Would it be more of a risk, or less tempting for theives? Fit is very tight so it won't slip out, but it's easier to remove.

The Defender is a beast of a case, but it saved my iPhone from an ear-height drop onto large gravel. Get it from Amazon, though--it was cheaper even with shipping than anywhere else.

I considered the Survivor when I was looking at cases, but I didn't think it had an opening for the camera. Does it?

Sometimes when I'm just putzing around at home, I'll keep it naked or in a sleeve from Waterfield/SFbags.

-- Stephanie

20. Leemann

Leemann Loaded Pockets

Optimus v with otterbox commuter case 511 gps strobe pouch.

Lee