1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you guys carry lights that don't have pocket clips?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Crew, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Crew
    • In Omnia Paratus

Crew Loaded Pockets

Recently picked up an Olight R20 Javelot, and it's everything I wanted in an EDC, except it has no pocket clip.

There's no room to add a loop clip between the tail and the body, and I don't really want to buy one of those huge clip sleeves I've seen on ebay.

What are you guys doing for your lights that don't have clips? All my pockets are filled (phone left front, wallet front right, knife right clipped, keys back right clipped, light thrown in back left, but would prefer clipped), and I want to be able to carry it with slacks at work without just having it sit in my back pocket.

2. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Dedicated holster? Or make some decorative knots around it and tie it on your belt.
    Stormdrane might help you on the second one.

tmedina and adnj like this.
  3. Crew
    • In Omnia Paratus

Crew Loaded Pockets

Can't do knots or belts, should've specified that. I work in a business-casual environment, and I don't want to bring attention to it.

I do leatherwork, so I've considered something like this, but wrapped around the body itself for a permanent fix.

Can't track down a clip like that, though (made by dragonleather).

[​IMG]

Rebel likes this.
  4. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

This light is begging for a holster. I always use a holster on the single cell 18650 lights with bigger reflectors, even if they come with a clip. A lanyard with a bead on the end could be used, too. Slip the light in your pocket and let the lanyard hang out. Easy to retrieve the light but not secure enough for long stretches.

Or how about a nice two slot pocket sheath? Knife in one and light in the other?

Last edited by adnj, Dec 23, 2015
  5. Crew
    • In Omnia Paratus

Crew Loaded Pockets

Thought about a sheath, but I use my knife all the time and definitely want it right where it is.

You're right on about the lanyard, though - that's my current solution! Just don't want it dangling out of my work slacks at all times.

6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

suspension clip and tuck in the paranoid. (hahaha. Auto correct...paracord)

[​IMG]

intocoman and Water-Rat like this.
  7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'm wondering if you could get the pocket clip from another Olight 18650 torch to fit it? My S30R does have one, not sure how much more you could force it open and how well it would sit/stay on the a torch without a groove though.

8. Crew
    • In Omnia Paratus

Crew Loaded Pockets

Yeah, there's no groove at all and the diameter is pretty consistent, unfortunately. =/

Whenever I search for light clips like them, they just say what they fit, never give a diameter, so I can't figure it out that way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'm skeptical that you can carry a light that size in your pocket without bring attention to it - that's a good-sized 18650 light.

If you do want to try, though, I think MJ has posted the most viable suggestion so far:

10. WheelgunBob

WheelgunBob Loaded Pockets

Not trying to be snarky, but I won't on-person carry a light if it doesn't have a clip. Bottom of the pocket carry is right out. Keychain carry is not an option as I hate wads of carry items on my keys. No holster for me, as like you, I don't want to call attention to it. If I have a clip, I can put it - a AAA - anywhere I need it. Another must for me is a reverse clip so I can mount it to my hat. (<- This last makes it indispensable to me.)

Crew likes this.
  11. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I keep my bigger lights in my bag, and have a smaller light in my pocket. A aaa LED will usually be more than adequate in an office environment, and if you really need it, use the aaa to find your way back to your bag.

12. Crew
    • In Omnia Paratus

Crew Loaded Pockets

I can understand that, but I'm often not with my bag and I like to have more bright than I need.

It's not just for the office, I'm just stating what it needs to be baseline for. I typically utilize it walking my dog and various outdoor type stuff, so I don't want to compromise and get a smaller light, too.

I'm gonna try some things and maybe end up making my own clip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Why not find a clip at a Knife maker supply place and heat shrink tubing it to the body of the light?

Also you say there is no room between the body and tail for a clip but have you tried one that actually does fit the diameter of the threads there?
    If so and if the tail will screw down tightly on the clip it should be pretty simple to make the circuit complete again to get the light to work.

A lot of these lights will accept a standard SF sized clip that attaches this way,I have SolarForce clips that are like this and they should be cheap and easy to find if you google them.

These did not come with clips either

[​IMG]

Does this make sense?

Otherwise why did you grab this model if you knew in advance there was no clip and it seems that only a clip will work for you?

Crew likes this.
  14. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I tend to split my carry based on situation. In an office, my goodies stay in my desk or under my desk. I have a keychain light that's good enough for my casual office needs.

Outside, walking the dog, or whatever, I grab a bigger 2-cell that I don't have to worry about being discreet with.

15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a lot of crap to be carrying around.

steeps and jag-engr like this.
  16. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Is there a flat spot to put a nite ize clip? Or maybe some 3M auto adhesive and a dangler? If you apply that 3M to a flat surface, it is never going to come off if you don't want it to.

17. TheInsideOutsider

TheInsideOutsider Loaded Pockets

Nifty.
    I would only carry a light that big in a holster. That said I understand you don't want one. So far I think Mumbojumbo has the best solution. This is one situation where I think you would be better off if your job required a full suit. Some jackets have nice deep pockets that an 18650 light would fit into quite nicely.

18. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

for putting multiple things in one pocket, i use a pocket caddy so they don't grate against each other. here is a recent pic:
    [​IMG]

adnj likes this.
  19. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I carry it easily.......... Mounted on an AR15. I don't buy a carry light without a clip :)

20. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

New to this. My two current lights are a fenix pd25 and a PD 35. The 25 is a single cell and is carried daily on my belt the 35 stays in my go bag as a backup. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone; Victograph.