1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you EDC glasses?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by thegrouch314, Dec 14, 2016.

1. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I EDC my glasses in a hard case with contact case for the chance I may prefer to wear my glasses. I usually switch during long flights.

2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Photochromic bifocals hooked to my ears. I don't carry backup glasses anymore. They never got used. I do have a pair of Oakley non prescription sunglasses that are in some random glasses case I found laying around. Photochromic lenses don't get dark enough and that 6-8 minute window to go back to normal is annoying.

Bwana1 likes this.
  3. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I gave up on photochromic lenses when they started putting U.V. protection in automotive glass. It really bugged me when my glasses wouldn't darken in the truck, leaving me squinting against the sunlight.

Moshe ben David and Mumbojumboo like this.
  4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm giving up as well, in one year. Stupid insurance. :)

5. FortyCaliber

FortyCaliber Empty Pockets

Clic goggles

6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Another +1 for on your nose carry, and a +1 for a decent hard case.

You can also have your eyes checked to see if you can wear contactlenses and are comfortable wearing those and then just buy a months worth of day-lenses. Hide them all over the place like a crazy squirrel (in your edc bag, in your toiletry bag, in your drawer at work, in your cars glove compartment etc.) and you'll always be able to dig up a pair somewhere in case you misplace of forget your proper glasses... that is if your forgetful squirrel-brain can remember where you buried them!

7. Str8ShooterEsq

Str8ShooterEsq Empty Pockets

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Yeah, but transition lenses are kind of a waste when driving due to tinted windows on cars these days. Fortunately, my insurance covers more than one pair, so I had one pair made with amber 'driving'/'shooting' tints just for driving, but without the bifocal insert. Fortunately I don't need the insert when driving. Unless I'm going somewhere (e.g. NYC), where being able to actually read the Garmin display is essential. At which point I wear my bifocals with clip ons!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Regarding contact lenses...

I wear contact lenses all the time, keeping a pair of backup eyeglasses in my truck bag (in case I injure an eye or something else happens that would prevent me from wearing my contacts, I'm practically blind without lenses of some sort). I do stash spare lenses around, but I can't keep any in my truck bag as it stays in the truck and, hence, anything inside gets frozen in the winter. Never looked into it, but I'm almost certain that freezing soft contracts is not good.

Until I changed contract lens brands, I used to keep a pair of lenses and a vial of saline solution in one of the older, slide-top, Altoids Mini tins. It was small enough to keep on me somewhere so it wouldn't get frozen in winter. I'm currently trying other small tins to do the same thing with these newer contracts that have slightly larger packaging.

UPDATE: So. I just looked up the freezing point for the saline solution in which soft contacts are packaged. Several sources say -21degF (-30degC for those with sane units of measure). Guess it's not as much of a concern as I thought it was. [shrug] Still would be better to keep some spares on me somewhere.

Last edited by Blackheart, Jan 9, 2017
    #29 Blackheart, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  10. jbj

jbj Loaded Pockets

Years ago when I shot competition, I got a pair of Bolle sunglasses with prescription inserts. At the time, they were the only polycarbonates with inserts I could find. Now, Oakley, Wiley X, Addidas and a few others make the same set up.

Great thing is the inserts are regular size/shape/curvature so there's no crazy grinding cost involved. And if you don't need/want the inserts, just pop them out and put a regular now piece in.

For EDC, tip of my nose for reading, hanging from my collar the rest of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Regarding Rx inserts, I had a pair which I wore inside my polycarbonate Gargoyles. The frames of the inserts scratched the inside of the lenses so badly as to render the sunglasses unusable without the inserts. Things may have changed in the 20 years since, but I wanted to point it out.

sent from your mamma's house

12. topazbullet

topazbullet Loaded Pockets

I got in the habit of hanging mine from my collar when I'm not wearing them. Always keep a backup pair at home (not EDC) in a hard case.

13. versitalex

versitalex Empty Pockets

I was not very actively looking for a MOLLE sunglasses case, but ran across one for $10 at Menards (a home improvement store centered in the midwestern United States). It's compression molded and relatively stiff.

For back story, my messenger bag (a PAC Designs Ultimate) has a U-lock loop. I love it so much that when I ordered a cycling backpack (a R.E. Load Midpack), I had them add MOLLE loops under the side pockets so I could add on a U-lock loop later. On the other side of the bag I added the sunglasses case to allow glasses swaps without taking the bag off. At any given time, either my sunglasses or my regular glasses are in there:

[​IMG]

Eventually I'll cut off the logo and unused velcro to clean things up a bit.

#33 versitalex, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017