1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you do coffee?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by TheRifleman, Nov 22, 2010.

1. TheRifleman

TheRifleman Loaded Pockets

I'm going on a trip for a month and living in hotel rooms for the duration and I shudder at the idea of drinking hotel coffee or buying it every morning. For rooms without coffee makers, how do you do coffee?

I saw a a travel coffee maker that was pretty cool but it doesn't look like it's made anymore. I've also thought about using a french press but I can't help but think that the coffee is bound to be gritty.

What do you do for coffee when on long trips? I can't go with out my morning brew!

2. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

I use a french press at home, there's no grit; probably because FP coffee is coarsely ground.
    starbucks via if you're in to that stuff

also, check out some of the options here: http://www.rei.com/search?sortby=Price+(Ascending)&cat=4500001_Camp+Kitchen&cat=5760724&hist=cat%2C4500001_Camp+Kitchen%3ACamp+Kitchen^cat%2C5760724%3ACoffee+and+Tea

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

4. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I guess the associated question is whether you're going to roast and grind your own coffee beans.

5. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

i use a paper filter: two heaping tbs of ground coffee in filter. put boiling water in mug. lower filter into mug and use adhesion to keep filter just above lip of mug. light stir to submerge all grounds. allow to steep for 5.5min and remove filter/grounds. simple and awesome with no machine.

6. GrayShadows

GrayShadows Loaded Pockets

Starbucks has these instant coffee packets. Easy enough to get hot water, add some Starbucks Via and make as you like.

7. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I got a free French press with a Starbucks order this summer...tried it once, and it was pretty bad. Maybe I did it wrong.

8. apache119

apache119 Loaded Pockets

I have one of those Keurig single cup coffee makers. I love being able to switch up the brews and flavors by using different pods every day.

9. jehan60188

what do you mean by "pretty bad"
    was it over brewed?
    fine ground leading to gritty coffee?
    are you using fresh coffee?
    are you using decent water?

10. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

For extended trips and vacations, here's my current setup (work in progress) which was inspired by this article.

[​IMG]
    (Left to right: Hario V60 01 dripper on Bodum Bistro double-glass insulated mug, Kalita .7L slow pour kettle, Porlex Mini Stainless Ceramic Burr Grinder. Coffee from Yanaka Coffee in Tokyo, Japan roasted 11/7 in back (thanks Ed!), Admetior digital spoon scale in front.)

Drip coffee is excellent, it takes a little bit of practice. At home, I'm using a Pino Digital Kettle Pro to heat the water. I'm still looking for something more compact to take on the road to heat the water. The Hario Electric Buono Kettle is coming out soon, which might be a good solution.

This setup isn't extremely compact or ideal for short stays if you travel light, but for extended stays and vacation, it's tough to beat. On recent short trips I've taken along a couple packs of Starbucks Via which is actually pretty good and much better than the coffee in the hotel lobby.

11. TheRifleman

Lots of good options here, thanks for all the feedback.

@jehan60188 So if you use coarse ground coffee you get no grit? Something to think about, gritty coffee is the devil.

@shrap The Aeropress looks like a pretty cool idea, but how well does it pack up? Hate to break it in a duffel bag on the first trip, it looks nice though. And no I don't think I'll be roasting beans myself, grinding might be possible though. My priority is good coffee and portability for what ever system I choose.

@RGNY Took a page right out of the Ranger handbook! I suppose that method is the simplest, but it seems like I'd have to baby sit it. I guess the french presses would be the same, babysitting wise.

@GrayShadows I've never met a packet of instant coffee that I got along with. In a pinch (my army days) I'll do it yea, but not if I can help it. Though I will admit to not having tasted the Starbucks kinds.

@apache119 You travel with a Keurig coffee maker? They don't look too portable, or am I not seeing something? I looked at the mini.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I will be on business and trying to pack light but still take everything I need. I wont be bringing boxes of stuff, a sovereign duffel bag, falcon II and an attache and that's about it. But I'm packing for months at a time. Space is precious, the occasional box maybe.. but I couldn't even dream of taking along the accessories that you do ballistic. I need a convertible system!

The Zelco Brisk Brew system looked like what I needed, but it doesn't appear to be made anymore. It sure was compact.

My search continues!

12. oldsarge

oldsarge Loaded Pockets

I got a stainless steel french press from Campmor. Used that a lot of mornings and sometimes on the road. At home I have a capresso. On camping trips I break out a 30 cup stainless pot from cabelas. My grandsons scout troop calls me Mr. Coffee.
    More importantly the only coffee I drink Is Kuai whole bean medium roast. Buy it in 5 pound bags, leaded for me, unleaded for the wife. Grind the beans myself. It is as good as Kona and half the price. Anything else tastes like panther ****.
    Hate starbucks, only go into dunkin donuts to use the toilet.

The only other coffee I ever had that compared to Kuai was a cafe au lait in a little place on the banks of the Seine early one sunday morning. Probably had more to do with my romantic nature than the coffee.

13. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

That Zelco Brisk Brew looks awesome!

Did you see this one listed as also viewed by people looking at the Brisk Brew? It has pretty good reviews.

Another possible option would be this water heater and a french press like this one.

Good luck!

14. TheRifleman

I like these ideas Ballistic, must read up on them. I think an immersion heater might be more portable to use with the FP than the travel water heater, but never having used a FP could I use the immersion system in the FP itself? Do you add water, then the ground then press? I'm going to be making coffee in my truck before I know it! HA!

15. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

I suppose you could put the immersion heater in the FP (provided the coil fits), heat the water, then add the coffee pushing the bloom down & gently stirring before putting the lid on prior to the press. Various french press techniques using the Espro (Video link).

Another option is the Bodum Bistro Press, an immersion heater, and a mini-grinder like the Hario Mini Mill. I have one of the Bodum Bistro Presses and it works well with good coffee ground by hand once you get the hang of it. You need to find the right grinder setting, ground coffee weight, and brew time through trial and error. Heat the water in your mug with the immersion heater. While that's going on, hand grind your coffee ;)! Very compact, this could be a killer setup.

16. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

The Aeropress takes up a similar amount of space as a French Press; probably a little sturdier because it is made out of plastic, not of glass.

I'm not sure what you mean by "babysitting" the French Press and pour over methods. For the former, you pour the grinds into it, then water, put the lid on it, wait 5 minutes, press and pour out your coffee. For the latter, I assume you just pour grinds into the filter and then pour water in the filter.

I have a French Press but never bothered to learn how to use it since I already had the Aeropress.

17. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

They sell individual coffee packets that work like tea bags. Better than instant. Just drop them in and let steep for 5 minutes or so. Similar to RGNY's method with no babysitting. If you're really dedicated to your coffee you could make your own packets ahead of time and carry them in a ziplock.

18. jehan60188

french presses are great, if you do it right.
    http://www.frenchpresshowto.com/ has some tips

make sure you've got a coarse grind (I don't have a grinder, I just ask the people at the shop to "grind it coarse because I use a FP, please"

then, use good water. I'm a water snob, I drink 1-2 gallons/day, and not just from anywhere. I've refused water from friends' homes because it has a metalic taste. use a brita filter, buy gallons from the store, have an expedition to a glacial spring if that's what it takes. use good water! not too hot!

other than that, it's just a matter of figuring out proportions/timing

19. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

A bit of help possibly. Most motels/hotels in my area of the States will have an in room drip coffee maker. You could always carry paper filters and your preferred coffee and brew your own. Or take a small french press and use the in room coffee maker to heat the water for the press. I am going on an overnight trip tonight for a new job and was thinking of what to do for coffee myself. The in house coffee isn't very good.

20. TheRifleman

I actually think that Espro looks pretty nice. Must read some reviews but it looks like it has grit on lock down.

@jehan60188 Thanks for the link! I'm starting to favor the FP method.