1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you carry yourself?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by ManVsLawn, Mar 16, 2014.

1. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

This thread is dedicated to how you carry yourself. (An "other" EDC)

As in, how do you treat your body, to make it better for EDC.

Do you eat well? Work out?

I personally am VERY active. I eat decent but have severe sweet tooth. I do fiber shakes and drink mainly water, juices, but have a Coca Cola (1 a day) habit.

I keep my weight maintained, proportional. I'm about 190 now at 6ft1.

I'm also really clean. I brush my teeth and floss almost every day.

I do manual labor, lots of walking, and ride my bike with dog and my favorite lady a few times a week. I love to run but barely have the time/inclination after mowing all day.

Tell us how you treat yourself, your BEST item in your EDC inventory.

SAKplumber and RoadWizard like this.
  2. fire-medic-911

fire-medic-911 Loaded Pockets

Work out. Eat right. Hockey, motorcycles, and hiking/hunting in the woods are how i get back to centre after terrible days at work. One of these every morning starts me off right. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAKplumber, MrOG and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

4. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Very active. 60 mile bike rides and 15 mile hikes are my norm. Decent amount of running. I eat alright, but not especially clean.

I carry myself quietly. I look thin, but I'm 5'5" 160 lbs. Surprisingly solid. And quiet. EDC and walking, I don't like to make a lot of noise... or any, if I can help it.

5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Nearly 25 years after I got out of the Army I still get comments about my "military bearing" - something with which those who've been in the service will be familiar. I'm often described as "intense" or "intimidating" even though I'm only 5' 10" and ~160 lbs.

I work out 6-8 times a week: my own blend of CrossFit, P90X, Insanity and some other good stuff for a strength workout twice a week, high-intensity runs 2-3 times a week, high-intensity bike at least once a week, long runs, bikes or paddles 1-2 times a week (often combining two or more of these elements back to back). I also practice a variety of shooting and combative arts on a fairly frequent basis. I eat fairly healthfully, but could improve a bit. I regularly compete in obstacle races, adventure races from 3 hour "sprints" to 24+ hour endurance courses, mountain bike races and trail (running) races ranging from 10K - 50K. In fact, I'm headed out later today for a 15 mile enduro on my fat tire bike.

6. CNeal

CNeal Loaded Pockets

I have become a bit of a chub..after years of working out and staying fit ( during and for years after working for my uncle) I have gotten to the point that I wouldn't run from a dog. I eat what I want when I want drink too much beer and not enough bourbon, I believe bacon is not just a breakfast food......I am 6'3" 260 lb and as said before I have plenty of military bearing left. When the bad guys are looking for a soft target they don't look my way long. I am polite and courteous always with a yes sir/ ma'am and I open doors for ladies...i am a hard working Midwestern redneck and proud to be..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kd7dvd, SavageJak, Blitzwing and 2 others like this.
  7. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Uncle Sam taught me to carry (hide) my weight well. Few of you would see it if you had looked at me, but 2 months ago I was 5'8" and 265 where most people thought I was maybe 200lbs. I have since lost 34lbs (231lbs currently) on my way down to 190lbs (my first goal weight) and then 155lbs (my second goal weight). It was the result of years of working a desk job (IT, sitting for 10+ hours a day normally with 25% @ 14+ hours a day), indoors, and little time to visit the gym. I do hike quite often, many times for 30+ miles, but as the years have worn on me I am not as fit as I would like, so I finally made a decision to resolve it. Food (especially sugar) is hard to get under control when you have extravagant tastes. :)

Needless to say, I am working on it and look forward to being back to "fighting weight" where I will be happiest.

8. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i ride my bike 14 miles a day/5 days a week...when i get home from work i run my dogs around the block which means a good country mile...i do 3 sets of sit-ups and pushups...i do both static and kinetic workouts with my kettle bell...at work i do 3 sets of dumbbell lifts with 3 different movements...i haven't bought a bag of sugar in a decade and stopped eating plain loaf bread about 6 years ago...i drink a lot of unsweetened black tea...

i try to stick to a routine of 3 days on and 1 day off for my weight training...

i limit my cigars to 3 a week...1 a day starting on friday/sat/sun...i don't drink as much alcohol in the winter as i do in the summer but once it reaches grass cutting temperature i usually build a fire in the bbq pit after i cut the grass and crack open bottle of sangria and tequila...neither will last the weekend...

as for the way i project myself...i used to have a girlfriend who was a big robert parker fan and when we would go to a gallery opening or some other social gathering she would nudge me and tell me to stop doing my "hawk thing"...

ManVsLawn and MrOG like this.
  9. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I have a bizarre metabolism. I started middle school as a scrawny nerd, got into gymnastics and wrestling, and within 2 yrs, graduated MVP and was voted "nicest build" in the class statistics. That was pretty much it in terms of organized team sports and dedicated workouts for me.

Over three decades later, I gained ~25 lbs (currently 5'8", 150 lbs), with a few inches shifting down from my chest to my waist due to the forces of gravity :). Although I'm far from workout/fitness nut, I love motion sports and the great outdoors stemming from skiing since childhood. Motorcycling, mountain biking, rollerblading, skateboarding, kayaking, swimming, hiking, and camping are some things I love doing purely for the fun of it. However, I really don't do enough of anything to consider it to be a real workout - they're more like leisure/hobby pursuits which are slowing the gradual loss of my fitness. My "fitness" is primarily anaerobic though - while I can still walk on my hands, climb walls, and do standing back flips, I doubt I can jog 2 miles without frequently stopping/resting :(.

I still eat like a horse though - probably more than anyone I know - but I eat healthy as my wife is a great cook and into that. People always comment on how "lucky" I am to be able to eat without gain weight, but the grass is always greener on the other side and I sometimes see it as a curse. It's expensive, time consuming, wears on your teeth and septic tank, and with no body insulation/reserves and constantly low on calories, I'm always cold. Then from an EDC and disaster preparedness POV, what really scares me is that without a good/steady food supply, I may well be one of the first people to go :(.

10. dcmassena

dcmassena Loaded Pockets

Same here, although I'm a bit heavier. I was up to an all time high of 271 on Jan 28. I'm down to 255 now and on my way to hopefully about 200 this time next year, then maybe 170 for an ultimate goal. After I got out of the Army and starting working in IT and software I got lazy, but I'm getting back on track.

I've found that since giving up some of my favorite things (I miss soda the most, have not had one in a month), I haven't struggled as much as I thought. I'm not really dieting as much as paying attention to what I put in my body and when. I'm eating healthy and felling a lot better because of it. Plus I've upped my cardio workouts and altered my strength training to more circuit training until I get some weight off.

Good luck to you in your quest for a healthier you!

11. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Thanks and the same to you! I have to agree on missing the Soda/Sweet Tea (for me). In our field there are too many long hours at a computer where Caffeine is your friend. LOL.

12. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

155 sounds small for 5'8" but we probably have different general builds. I'm around 190 right now but would like to be closer to the 170 range. I'm pretty stocky and completely unaware of how my body looks to others, but know I feel better when I'm a bit smaller.
    I'm actually incorporating a new routine into my workout starting today. I eat fairly well, but drink too much beer.

Cobra 6 Actual and RoadWizard like this.
  13. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Yeah, I have a feeling I may not like how I look at that weight either and will adjust as needed as I get closer to that weight.

Cobra 6 Actual and RoadWizard like this.
  14. Lee Bradbury

Lee Bradbury Loaded Pockets

Don't look after myself at all. Being overweight is the bane of my life! I eat very sensibly with all the healthy stuff the Doc told me to eat, I don't drink alcohol except for 1 pint of local beer every two days when I'm on holiday and the very (once every 3 months or so) odd dram of whisky.
    I smoke, yep.....I'm bad.
    I did join a gym and did 5 days every week, at least 2 hours, on the treadmills etc; can't do the rowing machine, my favourite, as my lower back ends up crippling me.
    At the end of 6 months I'd lost about a stone when, according to my Doc, I should have lost at least 3 stone.

Think I might just drink water and walk everywhere for a year and see what happens.

15. CUTLERY_KID

CUTLERY_KID Loaded Pockets

I'm 5'8 136 pounds and my metabolism's weird as hell. I can eat any amount of food and gain virtually no weight. As far as keeping in shape I run 3 miles a day and walk or bike most places, as my knife and gear addiction keeps my gas fund pretty low. I'm a member at a gym that I go to maybe once or twice a week, but I run on the treadmill or swim most of the time when I'm there. My muscle comes from hard work outside and the occasional weight lifting session, but to look at me you wouldn't think I'm a strong guy. If only my growth spurt would come along and I'd shoot up to 6'3 LOL

16. RBid

RBid Loaded Pockets

6'2", 175 right now-- down 10 pounds below my usual weight due to a lot of stress killing my appetite. I am active in general, from work to little things like parking across parking lots from where I want to go. I look for ways to add, rather than decrease activity. I do a pull up + push up routine on a home set to maintain capability. Work adds a lot of climbing stair ladders and lifting and moving product.

I like being lean, but my bodyfat is lower than I like right now. I usually resemble a leaner, white version of Anderson Silva.

If you don't carry it every day, it's not every day carry.

Also... Multivitamins every day, lots of water, and I eat small meals every 2.5 hours. I eat fairly clean-- no condiments or added crap-- but have a soft spot for pizza and cherry Pepsi.

RoadWizard and ManVsLawn like this.
  17. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I know what you mean - when I "skinny" myself a little too much, I start feeling lethargic, weak, and without "umph"... I also get more migraines when I'm too skinny (or too heavy for that matter).

I used to work in the restaurant industry, and I'd go out back to do pullups/pushups/situps, while the other kitchen guys would take Smoke Breaks... I figure I deserve time off the line to better myself if they deserve time off the line to smell horrible and give themselves lung cancer.

At 6ft1, I find 185-190 is really optimal, for myself.

I wanted to add that I take a multi-vitamin, and I wear protective clothing (sounds stupid, but your feet and ankles break easier without support/protection, and your skin is no joke when it comes to cancer, esp in Florida). I don't drink alcohol but recreationally enjoy another common thing. I vaporize as often as possible to avoid smoking.

Cobra 6 Actual and buddha like this.
  18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I drink a lot of water. A lot.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  19. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I make my wife carry me...piggy back rides everywhere... :)

Seriously though, I get lots of water, caffeine, I take lots of walks, I play with my kid a lot (who has limitless energy). I also train/learn things I want to know or know better.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  20. northwest

northwest EDC Junkie!!!

Found a pic that shows my personal view. :)

[​IMG]

buddha, Allgrave, Iragon and 10 others like this.