1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you carry your zippo?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Sniperx7, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Sniperx7

Sniperx7 Loaded Pockets

I carry the mini/small zippo and I am having problems with my jeans sucking out the lighter fluid fumes (i expect this is what it is). I fill it up and its dry in about 3 days of carrying it without even using it. Would a leather case prevent absorptivity or would it simply absorb it too?

sx7

2. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Zippos dry out. Some of us put cut up bike inner tubes over it to weatherproof it a bit. I bought a butane insert for mine.

3. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

i keep mine in the small pocket on the left left of my pants, or in the cargo pocket of my shorts. i can get about a week and a half on a full fill. the bike tube helps you get a extra few days out of the fluid.

4. geonex

geonex Loaded Pockets

For years I carried my Zippo in my change pocket (the little pocket inside the right hip pocket), until I developed an allergic reaction to the fuel/fumes. I now carry in a holster on my belt. I believe it lasts a bit longer now, but I also quit smoking in the meantime - so that surely helped.

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

The fluid in mine never lasted very long (don't carry one anymore). Never tried the bike tube thing, but I hear the butane inserts are good. I'm looking at buying a Thunderbird insert soon.

6. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

The small ones are terrible for retaining fuel. The full size ones are good for a 1 to 2 weeks. The mini ones always seem to dry out in 2-3 days max. Love the form factor, but hated it constantly drying out.

ATB,
    Sam

7. theman1903

theman1903 Loaded Pockets

i add a few drops ever 3 day

8. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

I carry mine in my right front pocket next to my wallet. Sitting next to each other they lie pretty flat and it stays upright. I check it every morning before I leave the house to see if, and how well, it lights and refuel if it needs it. I never do a "full fill" since I have had problems with the fuel leaking and causing chemical burns on my leg - no fun. Basically, if I open it and I can smell fluid, it's fine. If I have to flick it several times and it lights hesitantly, it needs more. Also, I carry a backup Bic in my EDC bag just in case.

I really wish Zippo would make "single serving" packages of fluid like packets of ketchup to carry just in case....

9. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

10. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

That thing is much bigger than it looks. It's fine for a bag, but you wouldn't want to pocket or keychain it. It holds about 3 fills worth.

If they made one peanut lighter or smaller, sure.

11. SharpScott

SharpScott Loaded Pockets

+1 Me too

12. pilote

pilote Loaded Pockets

i have a leather holster and a canvas one from county comm...but i've also carried it in a maxped micro...

13. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Mine's in my watch pocket(called change pockets by some folks)

Take the insert out, and pry the felt pad up, and push the tips of some pointed nose pliers into the inside of the insert, against the longer side walls... you wan to open the pliers handles and lever the walls apart... not too much, keep trying it in the case till the insert is a real pain to get out again, but still doable... Making it tighter in the case will keep it from loosing fuel as fast.

I get about a week with mine modded tight and first filled till it drips from the wick while filling(overfilled according to zippo).

G.

14. sasquatch

sasquatch Loaded Pockets

After my first Zippo evaporated dry in a day, I've carried in a holster of some sort. One side of a M1911 mag pouch, then in 1993 a Zippo holster (crappy clip, seat belt caught it, clip useless), then another Zippo holster some years later with a better clip. I'll sometimes use a Z-Clip for special occasions. Z-Clip is a plastic, open-faced holster Zippo put out some years back.

15. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

apparently in my left rear pocket today! i thought i lost it for a good hour untill i sat on it lol.. usually in my coin pocket or front left.

16. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Wow. I have one of those and it takes the whole thing to fill a bone dry Zippo. Every time I have used it, I have had to refill it when I got back home. It's still a neat little can. You are right about it being too big for keychain carry, but it's great clipped in my bag.

Vader9900 likes this.
  17. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

i might pic one up and i don't even have a zippo!