1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you carry your writing kit?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Strut, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Strut

Strut Loaded Pockets

I currently carry a spacepen in my leatherman holster and no paper.

I've tried carrying various notepads / moleskins in my back pocket but I've found that I gravitate towards 3x5 cards the most. I have tried the maxped field cover loaded with 3x5's in the pack pocket but its kind of clunky and inelegant. The zipper just isn't quick access. Been looking at this, but I'm worried about keeping something so rigid in the back pocket.

I also would like to upgrade to a full size pen somehow. The spacepen is good, but I love my zebra 701, would like to try some of the cross offerings, and have had my eye on the surefire III. I did carry in RF for a bit (next to knife) but theres got to be something better.

Anybody have any suggestions on better carry methods? Pen and paper are about my most used EDC, but I just can't find a comfy way to carry full size pen and quick access 3x5's.

2. critterfixer
    • In Omnia Paratus

critterfixer Loaded Pockets

I carry a Zebra 701 and a Moleskin pocket notebook, but I wear polo style shirts and cargo pants everyday to work. The pen gets clipped to the shirt front where the buttons are and the notebook goes in the side cargo pockets or gets tossed in the EDC bag. A notebook is tough to carry on person in regular pants. It is either too rigid to carry comfortably or too flimsy and falls apart.

3. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

well i carry a small notepad in my back pocket and it really doesnt bother me.......so im affraid i cant br much help there...

but as for a pen......well those are pretty simple.....i usually carry them in my front pocket...at times i may clip it next to my knife.....

you can also carry them in a breast pocket........

and one place i like carrying them is clipped between the 2nd and 3rd button on my shirt

4. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Take a look at Levenger's pocket briefcases. I use an International Pocket Briefcase as a wallet and 3x5 holder, and a Zebra F-301 fits in the pen slot nicely.

5. KR81

KR81 Empty Pockets

My main EDC pen is a Parker Jotter in black. I also swap out the standard black ballpoint refill for a medium (.7) blue gel rollerball refill. This combination is inexpensive, durable, and writes very smoothly. Good luck!

6. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I use 3x5 cards for most of my note taking needs. I use a set up similar to the hipster PDA, with an aluminium backer.
    My personal uniform consists of t-shirt and Carhartt pants. I carry my Cross pen clipped to the neck of my t-shirt and the 3x5's go in the shirt pocket.

7. byoung218

byoung218 Loaded Pockets

I've been using a Moleskine Cahier in my back right pocket every day for a long time. It's great because it's super thin and has a flexible cover. It does get a little bent after sitting on it, but the covers are durable enough that I've never had a problem with wear (they last 45-60 days before I fill it up and come in three packs). An a Pilot G-2 mini.

That said, the paper on the Moleskine bleeds the G-2 ink, so when this one is filled up I'm replacing it with this.

8. SFSRVN

SFSRVN Loaded Pockets

I carry a bullet space pen in my front left pocket. I also carry a zebra pen and a few post-it notes in my wallet. I've had the space pen for a few years now, it was a Father's Day gift and I use it all the time. When my wife and I are out (read that: she's shopping), she'll ask if I have a pen and I reply, "always". I used to forget that I even had it. Definitely part of my EDC.

9. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

In my MCAP I store a Parker Jotter w/space refill and a Staedtler 925-07 in the two looped pull tabs on top of the secret compartment. They sit right on top. Eraser stick and sharpies are inside one of the elastic loops.

Cahier is in the very back pocket.

10. Chocula

Chocula Loaded Pockets

I'll add my 2 cents:

I also found that I dislike carrying paper or a notebook. I noticed that in general, I do not need to write things down on my own paper though--usually I need a pen to fill out a form or sign something. So these days I carry half a sheet of paper folded up in my wallet (like a credit card), a sticky note stuck to the inside of my wallet for quick notes, and a fisher telescoping space pen.

I really like the telescoping space pen. It has a thicker barrel that is more comfortable than the thin bullets, there is no cap to lose or fiddle with, and it can be used with one hand. It is also about the same size as a bullet pen when closed and sufficiently long when open. It sits really well in pocket next to my wallet.

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Mead makes a small notebook with a hard cover. I carry that in my left front pocket,
    mostly use it to record where I have parked.

When I go out and make lists of what to buy, I use a CVS pocket spiral memo book
    that fits in my shirt pocket. A Parker Jotter and CC Embassy also fit in the shirt pocket.
    I also carry a Picopen on a lanyard in my left front pocket along with some other things,
    and I use it a lot because often I forget to take another pen.

12. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

13. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

Interesting concept, I’m interested to know where does your MCAP ride? Is it stand-alone?

14. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I have used a Franklin Covey Index Card wallet and a few others similar to it, but they never worked out for me. I eventually purchased a traveling circa punch from Levenger, a set of circa discs, and tabbed dividers. I punched my own index cards and essentially made a memo book out of index cards. I like it because, after the initial investment, it is cheap and I can move the cards around.

My pen is typically a Uniball Signo 207. I clip the pen on my pants pocket.

15. Lamamoto

Lamamoto Empty Pockets

I carry my Surefire Pen genIII in my back right pocket clipped to the outer corner. I first thought that it would get in the way, but i can't even feel that its there. I bought a pack of moleskin note books(idk the name its super small) and that usually goes in my left back pocket. I dont use the notebook alot but i use the pen everyday for school and writing off packages

16. Sanjuro

Sanjuro Empty Pockets

I go simple, so typically I'll use a Field Notes notebook and a pen. If I really want to write, I'll carry my Lamy 2000 and a Rhodia webbie on account of the Clairefontaine paper. If I can smoke a pipe while I write, even better.

17. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

My writing setup is fairly simple as well. It consists of just a moleskine volant, small and easy to carry, good for jotting random thoughts or tidbits that I will certainly forget otherwise. Then for my pen, I often wear shirts with a breast pocket , so there I carry my Zebra f-701. If you like your 701, you may also be interested in the Zebra f-301 compact. This is what I carry when not wearing a pocketed shirt. Usually clipped to my left rear pocket.

18. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

19. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    For regular writing.
    [​IMG]
    For drawing.

20. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

3x5 notepad in a cargo-pants pocket with two pens clipped to the top of the same pocket. Great for jotting down story ideas and any info that needs to be taken down right away.