1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you carry your crucial emergency data when traveling?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Interpol, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Interpol

Interpol Empty Pockets

Just wanted to see if anyone had any unique ideas that I could add to my own. Would also appreciate critiques and/or suggestions.

Here's what I do to securely carry important identity/financial data with me when I travel.

I start with 2 flash drives - one in the form of a Corsair Survivor 32GB USB3 flash drive, and one in the form of a tiny 32GB microSDHC card. Each is formatted in exFAT format (so it is readable in Windows or MacOS).

I have the following ASCII text files:

ICE.txt ("In Case of Emergency"): Contains my name, country of origin, home address and contact information, names and contact information of people that I'm currently traveling with, and an emergency name/contact information of someone that isn't traveling with me.

CreditCardContactInfo.txt: contains a list of all of the financial institutions that I have credit cards with (names only, no card numbers or what type of card it is) and their USA/international contact numbers.

FamilyInformation.txt: contains a simple list of the names of my immediate family members.

Medical.txt: contains basic medical information such as allergies, blood type, medical problems/issues, important medications I take, and health insurance contact information.

On the same drive, I also have on a TrueCrypt encrypted partition:

- Scans/photos of the front and back of each of my credit cards
    - Scans/photos of my passport
    - Scans/photos of my drivers license
    - An ASCII text file containing a list of my credit cards and numbers as well as contact information of the issuing financial institution
    - An encrypted KeePass file containing all of my userIDs and passwords for online sites, email, online banking, frequent flyer numbers, etc.

And finally, a \bin folder containing Windows and OSX runtime versions of Google Chrome, KeePass, and TrueCrypt.

All of this data is duplicated on the 2 flash drives and stored separately from each other - the Corsair flash drive in the hotel safe and the microSDHC card stored in a waterproof stainless steel pill case (with USB adapter) around my neck.

So what do you all do to carry secure emergency data around?

2. barlow666

barlow666 Loaded Pockets

Let's not forget 'Old School" data: Paper!

I always carry a few copies of the photo page of my passport. Leave original in hotel safe. Lately, I have found some countries are requireing a copy of your passport to use the internet facilities in cafe's or whatever. Having a copy with you saves the trouble of having to find a copy shop - espically in places where there is no copy shop. Copies are usually OK for places where they just need to see your passport for ID (not of coures for crossing borders).

I also carry a notebook with emergency contact info, more small photo copies of passport and driver's license, credit card info and like that. I am also at the age where I include medical contact - my Doc's cell and e-mail - and copies of perscriptions of meds I take regularly (or may need in emergency), along with the stuff I am alergic to.

Remember: there are lots of places in the world where electricity is eratic and computers are an exotic luxuary. Don't depend entirely on electronic media storage for your vital info.

kd7dvd likes this.
  3. Lee Bradbury

Lee Bradbury Loaded Pockets

I've got details on a memory stick, ID in the wallet and an app on the mobile where I can store blood type, address, contacts, my photo and some other bits.

4. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

If you come to Germany, change this to InCaseofEmergency.txt, because most people would either not know this acronym or think of the train called ICE (InterCity Express).

5. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Question - why use a whole 32 Gb Corsair Survivor USB 3 for this?
    No, I'm not telling you how to spend your money ;) , but a tech-savvy unscrupulous person (believe me there are some) might be tempted to filch it (or find and just trash your data) because this flash drive is good.

It's high time someone came up with a clear way to identify a flash drive as containing personal/emergency data, you know... like all fire extinguishers are red... then one could have a slow drive with a little memory but a sturdy body that every one will recognize as the thing to check.

kertap75 likes this.
  6. Interpol

Interpol Empty Pockets

Good point. The Survivor is a definitely a nice USB drive, but they're not that expensive nowadays - I think I paid around $35 for it, and that was over a year ago. I suppose I could have used a smaller capacity drive, but I wanted something that could survive virtually anything. There aren't that many rugged USB drives out there that sell for less.

Also, when I travel the Survivor stays in in the hotel room, or in the safe if there's one. As I said in my first post, I have the same content stored on a 32GB microSDHC card that I store in a waterproof pillbox labeled "emergency" around my neck for when I'm out and about.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Interpol, Mar 24, 2014
  7. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Photo copies of important info and documents in a waterproof bag.
    Yeah, I guess thats pretty old school. :D

8. Interpol

Interpol Empty Pockets

The problem with having some of this information on paper is that you're totally screwed if you lose it or someone steals it (i.e., credit card numbers, etc). Unless you write in code...

jag-engr likes this.
  9. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

When traveling, I carry my data in an encrypted netbook or laptop (System(C) partition encrypted with diskcryptor, Data(D) partition encrypted with TrueCrypt), backups are on a - waterproof - Corsair Voyager Mini (encrypted with truecrypt) which is on my car keys (always with me) and, of course, at home on my main PC (all disks Truecrypted, OS disk Diskcrypted).

As soon as I renew my Crashplan subscription, I will also have online access to my (crypt-synced) data.

10. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Loaded Pockets

ICE app on my smart phone

just 'bout the action boss...