1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

how do you carry so much stuff?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by outdoorsman196, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Not to throw gas on the fire, but the turbo Mopars (minivan, K-car, omni, daytona, etc) can surprise most with the power they can produce. Sorry, I have to represent the Iacocca cars. Yes they were built like doody, thats why you never see any of them around. But while they were around, they were FAST!

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Yes, a capital idea! "Hmm, a bottle. Hand me the +1 Titanium Atwood of Bottle Opening." :D

[​IMG]
    (http://www.unshelved.com/2008-8-16)

Fukurai, whoozle, Dapple and 2 others like this.
  3. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I actually do have a pair of pants with pockets inside the pockets. They're handy if you don't want everything sitting at the bottom. Also, I like one pocket to hold one thing. I laugh a little inside when someone takes something out of his/her pocket and a ton of other crap comes tumbling out. My sister lost a pair of gloves doing just that.

Aleister likes this.
  4. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Very cool!
    I want some in 40W X 34L, made outta ripstop GoreTex Nomex.

Ripstop, because anything else would FAIL.
    GoreTex, for shedding water + evaporative cooling.
    Nomex, in case this heavily-laden ol' packmule is the last one outta the fire.

Kilted1 likes this.
  5. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Vertx makes cargo pants that have the pockets on the inside of the pants leg so they don't show anywhere near as much. They're pretty durable, comfortable, and I like the fit.

And, yes, there are small pockets inside the cargo pockets.

Only drawback is that the slash poclets (the "regular" pockets) can have the tendency to drop stuff out of them if you sit down and slouch a bit (don't most of us do that?) so you have to be a bit careful in what you put where.

Back on the original topic, the best way to handle it is to be careful and plan your EDC around things that do multiple tasks and pare down what you really don't need or use often if at all. Example: a good multitool or SAK means you don't need scissors, nail clippers, bottle openers, and so on. Do you really need to EDC a fire starter at work in an office? (and I knew someone who did)

Yes, an EDC bag helps but I tend to leave mine in the car or in the locker where it's close enough but I don't have to lug it around all the time.

A belt pouch is sometimes useful but I only use mine at work and I'm not an office guy. When I was, I used to be sure that the suit coat or jacket had pockets that actually functioned and really what's the use of faux pockets except to give you a streamlined look that often just means that you have to run back to your office or look around to borrow something.

At work at least, key tethers are useful. I like Hammerhead Industries GearKeepers. They come in different lengths and strengths. If you use only one and keep it next to the belt pouch it doesn't look too much like a bat-utility belt but it's definitely a "blue collar" and at work thing.

And as for the EDC sherpa/van/chariot/whatever, until they come up with reliable and cheap ways to get to the space station the ost effective way to carry it all looks like it's still a C5A. You can pack it with an M1A1 and still have room for all the groceries without having to put stuff in the front left seat. If you're crowding up one of those you probably need to rethink your EDC a tad.

6. Oaklington
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

As someone said before, I'm also a student, so I also always carry my bag.
    But if I had the problem I'd probably clip flat objects inside the belt, just inside of the first belt loop, like a knife, keys or a thin torch, that way you can't see them and they're fairly easy to get to!

7. Jailer

Jailer Loaded Pockets

It's not tough to EDC a LOT of crap. I carry a Strider SNG CC, chapstick, SAK Rambler, 91mm SAK, AAA Streamlight, smartphone & wallet in a pair of regular jeans. Get yourself some nano clips and a pocket dangler so your stuff hangs from the lip of your pocket instead of at the bottom. For the rest of my kit I use a 1200 cu. in. backpack.

+1 on the SAK's filling many rolls. My 91mm includes a small ink pen, can/bottle opener, phillips and flathead, as well as other implements. The Rambler has been modified to include a whistle scale on one side and a LED light on the other scale. If I leave the house with nothing else, I always have the Rambler on me.

8. siwel

siwel Loaded Pockets

I carry most of my stuff in a HPG tarahumara bag. I love it:)

9. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

My 5.11 pants I wear at work have 2 pockets for AR mags in each of the cargo pockets. I love them. Keys in one, cell in one, flashlight clipped to one and a big pipe in the last.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

10. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Yeah, I have a pair of 5.11 TDUs as well as TAD Force 10 pants, which have subpockets and I like them too. But I've seen those pants that young folks wear these days, which use multiple pockets and straps as a fashion gimmick and they don't look very useful.

11. Rocket2012

Rocket2012 Loaded Pockets

5.11 taclite pro pants or truspec 24/7. Pretty much the best way for me but when I do rock the jeans I scale down the kit just one blade one light the m&p and spare mag. I like pen lights because they fit in pockets like...well the... A pen and you can clip one to a button down or polo shirt like you would a pen. So the gear choice is also a big part of it too.

12. Rick Booth

Rick Booth Empty Pockets

As said previously I personally carry the basic EDC on me but if I am going to be away on trips, holidays or work I take a more comprehensive EDC kit carried in a small civilian day sack. My tabaco tin Survival Kit goes everywhere with me, try and get use to carrying a small day sack with a few items in for when your away from home.Try not to overload yourself as you may need to move fast !

13. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

FTW!

Fukurai and KAMM like this.
  14. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I usually wear Moleskin jeans,,,, cut like regular jeans but super soft and comfortable and harder wearing than Wranglers. I only use the two front pockets for wallet and ironmongery and the back two for the occasional list

15. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I wear Carhartt Double front work pants. They carry all my on person EDC.

16. AnthonySC
    • In Omnia Paratus

AnthonySC Loaded Pockets

I just carry my stuff in my pockets. I dont care what people think :cool:

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

17. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

I normaly carry everything in my pockets. Knife SAK wallet and keys. MT is mostly in the backpack I usually carry. I have a small eastpak organizer with all my stuff I just toss in the bag I'm using. Yeah my jeans tend to look a bi bulky but doesn't matter normally. Only when wearing a suit the lack of possibilities is annoying.

18. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Recently upgraded to a Missouri Mule & a packsaddle.

19. Redleg22

Redleg22 Loaded Pockets

Knife, flashlight, lighter, wallet, gun on my person. The rest in a bag.

20. Oaklington
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

A mule with a packsaddle? might consider one, always wanted a mule and all;)

Gnarly likes this.