1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do you carry emergency money?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Koogan, Mar 6, 2016.

1. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

I live urban. I grew-up in NYC & neighboring NE NJ,in the 60's - 70s. Very gentrified now, but as a teen it was still a tough neighborhood and I'm no Rocky Marciano. So in the immortal words of our newest Nobel Prize winner, " Money doesn't talk ,it swears!" So we all learned to buy out of a mugging and to hide some cash for carfare home. Today I still split my money,ID,and credit cards in at least two locations. I try to carry between $500-1000,mostly in 20s. But some larger and smaller bills as well. Very often a cash gratuity can get you that unavailable transport seat, hotel room in a blizzard, buy unavailable gasoline and buy you out of a mugging without getting too beat up. Cash also works in a blackout , when stores cannot get authorization.

P.S. As to the muggings: #1 was my fault. No situational awareness, too drunk. Walking back to my dorm alone in a very tough neighborhood, because my friends wanted to watch the end of the game. But my extra $ saved my from a beating; As to #2, this one I saw coming,despite too many pints in McSorley's, I ran at the two of them , approaching head on. Veered off enough to hit one guy with my shoulder and knock him on his :censored: and kept running; the final encounter was more of a planned hit on me. Details unimportant, but suffice it to say they were the bad guys. I got hit in the face with a bat thru a closed car window. Attacker got hit with the car as I beat feet in reverse. I call that one a draw, albeit he broke my cheekbone and almost put my eye out

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  2. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

My phone wallet has some backup cash in it. If I get robbed (I have my CPL) and hand over my wallet, I hope that giving them my phone is enough as opposed to taking off the phone wallet.

3. AlphaWhiskeyRomeo

AlphaWhiskeyRomeo Loaded Pockets

Purchase a crisp new white handkerchief. Lay it out on a flat surface. fold a couple of hundred dollar bills into smaller rectangles. Place them to the side of the center of the handkerchief at an asymmetrical angle. Fold the handkerchief over the bills. Take a fine needle and thread and stitch around the bills creating a sealed pocket for them. Stick the needle into your finger and wipe the blood over the thread and touch the handkerchief in random places. Let the blood dry and use the handkerchief to blow your nose a couple of times. Wad it up real good and stick it in your front pocket shoving it down to the bottom in a wad.

If mugged and asked to empty your pockets, just let it fall to the ground. They will not pick it up and you've just psychologically communicated that you are a bio-hazard which may just save you a beating too.

If you are a woman and find this method distasteful...Take a Tampon and carefully open one end of the package. Pull it out and wrap a couple of hundred dollar bills around it. Use scotch tape to keep it tight. Slide it back into the package and seal the end back with a little glue. If in a bad area keep it in your pocket. Even if it's in your purse and it gets taken, you're purse may be found in a garbage can or beside the road a couple of blocks away. You have a greater chance of recovering your money. If you are instructed to empty your pockets, most men will not touch it.

4. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

I have seen people use empty chapstick containers with notes rolled up inside, possibly easy to lose from pocket though. You can convert it to attach to your keyring, a quick youtube search will show some videos.

Isla TX likes this.
  5. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Emergency cash in money belt, mine has 'Aker San Diego California' embossed by the buckle. I've had it a long time. I don't need to carry much cash anyway.