1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do ya choose your watch(es)?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by oke, Sep 3, 2021.

1. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Ummm, help? I saw this article in the GearPatrol email and clicked on it thinkin' it'd be a good read, yet although it currently compiles all most of the watch buying guides that they've written, why aren't Citizen or Seiko included?

Complete Buying Guides to the Best Watch Brands and Models

Does that mean that they do not consider Seiko or Citizen to be on par with the best watch brands and models? Or is it a deal where gp is one of many places to get the gear "scoop", and it doesn't mean that they're really experts about what's best?

Well, since I'm new to watches, I guess I thought Seiko & Citizen had some good models, however, is that the incorrect impression? Or, is their compilation just not complete?

Just wonderin'...:confused:

:cool:
    ETA that I did some searchin' - apparently, they don't know how to compile their own lists, as I did remember a guide to the Seiko watches recently, and, sure enough, they be over yonder: https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a555424/seiko-watch/

And, although they say it's a complete guide, they do say in the text that they're sharin' "many" of the brands, which to me means it's not complete:
    So, maybe they just don't think much of Citizen?

2nd edit: Oh wait - found one of a few sponsored, or, "in partnership with" adverticles from Jun, which they didn't include, maybe because it wasn't very descriptive: https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a36422999/citizen-watches-buying-guide/

And I think I realized something else - their buying guides might be complete/comprehensive for a particular brand, yet the compilation in the article isn't supposed to be understood as complete - yeah, just thinkin' visibly, lol...

Last edited by oke, Sep 22, 2021
    #21 oke, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  2. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

I've found that "buying guides" are usually just thinly-veiled advertisements for whatever particular brand the website/person is shilling. if you want reasonably-unbiased opinions on watches (or anything really) you'd be best served by going to where people that use them congregate and discuss them. The WatchUSeek forums will give you more info than you can handle, and you'll be getting that information from people that own the watches and can give you real-world reviews instead of these websites that simply shill whatever new watch model the maker sends them to "review".

MatBlack likes this.
  3. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I'm my own buying guide. Why would I take the word of a stranger who was probably compensated for writing an article?

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  4. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

So, what do y'all think of the Bradley watches from eone (short for "everyone"), which are designed to be able to be "read" by touch? I was an early bird backer (and kept the version with stainless steel back cover, since I figured those'd be rare after folks probably opt for an all-Ti version) of their first campaign because I thought it was a creative concept to let folks tell the time w/o needing to look at the watch. Ended up bein' too clunky for the better half, yet still got it.

Well, they have a new iteration currently gettin' crowdfunded at that one site, the "Switch", where you can now change out the timepiece faces for other looks/designs. Even though they made the watch so those who w/ impaired vision can use it, they also aim to have spiffy-looking designs as well. To me, it's sorta like how lamy made the Accent writing instruments, in terms of changing up the look of the items. For the Accent, you could buy various grips with different materials/colorways to sorta change up what the pen looks like, and that's what the swappable dial faces are like for the Switch. To me, it just seems like a good marketing ploy to get folks to keep paying for more faces as they make 'em available, yet to each their own.

I think I mostly tend to choose function first while considering the form, 'cuz I think it should at least look like something I can live with using, yet this one's not worth the money, imo (since there's also the cost to factor in, and subjectively determinging whether it's a good value).

So, I guess, to tie this in with the previous replies, @Sentinel-14 & @MatBlack, yeah, it does make more sense to look to communities where there's discussion about the various items to find out why folks choose stuff or what they think, along with goin' with one's own preferences, to help make decisions, more than lookin' just at some site's buying guide.

Still, I guess I need to read more, yet why do some folks like certain brands' diver's or field or pilot's or mechanical or automatic watches? Or why is it that some models/styles are more in demand? For instance, w/ the Seiko offerings, what is it about the Turtles or the SKX007? Or how do they choose a Monster mod? Guess I don't understand all of that yet...

:cool:

5. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Fashion is not on my criteria list, but functionality is: my watch needs to provide additional value besides showing time & date.

Hence I've settled with an Amazfit T-Rex: robust (metal case, water proof), 10+ days runtime with one charge, compass and barometer on-board (work without smartphone), step-counter, workout tracking and heart-rate sensor are welcome.

Before I used a Casio SGW-1000 TripleSensor outdoor watch - for the same reasons.

Even in urban environment a compass came handy, e.g. emerging from a subway station in a big city it may take up to a minute or so before Google Maps with the help of GPS (low signals due to skyscrapers) shows where I am and where i need to head to. The compass gives me a direction within seconds :)

echo victor likes this.