1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

how do I use this watch!?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by KAMM, Sep 8, 2012.

1. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

each night, place the watch in an east-facing window, with the top of the watch pointing east. This increases sensitivity to the low-frequency radio signal from Colorado.

SAKplumber and KAMM like this.
  2. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

^^Oops, ac7ss beat me to it! :)

3. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Thank you! I'll try it tonight!

4. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ah...mine is completely automatic. I knew it would be different but didn't know how much different. I was also gonn recommend a pdf user manual.
    I think you'll get it figured out:)

5. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

Or Mecca.:) It is a GULFman. Anyway, nice gift.

kd7dvd and KAMM like this.
  6. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

It will be automatic, but first setting helps.

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yeah, I just meant that mine came set already. I don't remember a setting for it in the manual...I have a Pathfinder. In fact I remember that the advert said it came preset and to just set it out overnight and it will adjust to your timezone. Perhaps that menat that they(seller) set it to auto already...I just don't remember it having any setting for that.

8. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I initially had to put mine OUTSIDE overnight for it to receive the signal because I could not get it to sync by the window.

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wassup KAMM? Did it work?

10. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

No. :( well I don't know. I'm gonna try it throughout the day. I mean I set it do it's reflecting the right time. I would just like for it to be automatic. :)

11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

What if you set it to the wrong time and then left it out...to see if it corrects itself?

12. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I just don't think it's connecting. And it takes me a while to get it back to the right time!

13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

It *should* be flawless - mine certainly are here in the UK - but there are physical limitations to the system that may cause issues depending on where you are in the world...

For a US resident you are receiving a signal from the radio transmitter at Ft Collins, so your distance, and the geography inbetween will have an effect - live next door and it will be flawless, live at the opposite end of the country in a valley and the signal is going to have a tough time reaching you. The same thing goes for man made objects - radio signals will be blocked, deflected and reflected by big structures and the likes, so on the bottom floor of a tower block in the middle of NY is not going to get anywhere near as reliable a signal as somewhere out on the plains without another building in site. Even where you are in your own home will have an effect depending on which walls are in the way and so on. After that you have electronic interference to contend with too - the signal updates at night for two reasons, the first is that the watch is more likely to be stationary (and therefore more receptive to a reliable signal) than during the day, but also because there is less atmospheric interference at night than there is during the day when everyone is up running gadgets all the time. Even the weather will have an effect on the signal strength and how it will be transmitted over distances - get the right conditions and the signal can travel for thousands of miles, but on the flipside get poor conditions and it will fade out pretty :censored: quickly.

The plan of attack: Find a clear spot facing the direction of Ft Collins, so ideally in a window without being right behind any major obstruction. Leave the watch sitting stationary, don't move it about. Try to manually sync the watch later on at night when the conditions will be best. Try that and see if you can get it to sync. If not then try again in a week or two and see if current poor weather may be the problem.

Unfortunately there are just some areas in the US where getting sync is nigh on impossible - just the practicalities of getting reception from a sole transmitter that can be over a thousand miles away... Hopefully one thing that will slowly get sorted out in the future - As the technology gets more widespread more towers will be activated and there are always developments with technologies such as using the GPS signals and other methods.

KAMM and SAKplumber like this.
  14. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I have found that the "put it facing a window" instructions are incorrect if your window frame is made out of metal. I have had better luck just putting in inside the house but away from any large metal objects. It even works better on my wrist than next to a window.

KAMM likes this.
  15. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

,,,,have you found the function where you can travel forward in time by five minutes?

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

??? Timetravel ??? ;)

17. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Do you live in the middle of the woods, in the mountains, in a valley, or in the middle of a bunch of buildings? If so, the radio signal may be blocked by any of these things and you may be out of luck. :(
    Other than that, try setting it outside for a night (make sure it won't get stolen or run over by a tank ;)) ideally in the direction of Fort Collins and as high up as you can safely and easily get. If this doesn't work, the signal is most likely blocked. Good luck.

18. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not time travel as such,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but you look down at the watch and admire it and press a few buttons at random,, then wonder what will happen if you press all the buttons at the same time,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and then someone clicks their fingers in front of your face and asks: "what are you doing,,, you've been looking at your watch for the last five minutes?"

SAKplumber likes this.
  19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Remember the good old days when all you had to do to set the right time on a watch was pull out the crown, rotate it a bit until the hands lined up properly, and then just push it back in. :)

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I remember the good old days when I didn't have a watch and asked other people for the time

KAMM likes this.