1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do I ditch my car remotes?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Ors, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Ors

Ors Empty Pockets

My current key carrying set up isn't working for me, but I haven't figured out what might work better. So I'm asking the forum for some help.

I use a Max Keyper with two keyrings on it. The keyring that rides toward the back has two car remotes and a Freedom Photon. The one that gets taken off more frequently has my various keys on it. The two remotes clacking against each other make a lot of noise, which I find irritating. I sometimes tuck the keyrings into my pocket (Keyper still attached to belt).

I'm thinking that I want to put more items on my keying, maybe a Squirt, my Arc AAA, things of that nature.

The remotes are not neccessary, but they are extremely convienent. I have considered getting a Blackhawk Key Silencer, but that doesn't resolve the issue of the remotes.

I am wondering if I could get by with putting the remotes in a cargo pocket or perhaps my EDC bag. That would make room for more keychain gear and perhaps with the Key Silencer would resolve my noisy key irritations.

Thoughts?

2. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

The best way is to get rid of the remotes altogether. I hate them! On my truck Ford F-250, I had Ford install a keyless entry system which allows me the ability to have no remote at all. I have another Suv that you don't even need the remote at all for the security system. I would check out your options. How can you have all this cool EDC gear on your keys if they are clogged up with remotes... :laugh:

GG

3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I am old enough to appreciate when cars were made without the use of electronic remote controls.  Keys then were also smaller and easier to carry.  Each of my cars now have 2 big fat keys and 2 even bigger remote control fobs.  Carrying them is not so easy.  They also require a larger split ring because they are so big.  That makes for a bulky, noisy, and hard to carry setup.

I got rid of the large split rings.  Instead, I use cored-out 550 paracord.  I use just enough to hold the key and remote, tie a simple knot, and include a small split ring within the knot.  I then seal the knot with a Bic lighter.

I then use shrink tubing on the handle part of the key and around the remote.  The shrink tubing material is softer than the hard plastic body of the remote and the key.  This muffles the sound when contacting each other or other surfaces.  The shrink tubing also protects from scratches and cuffs.  When the tubing gets loose, simple heat to shrink.  When it tears, simply remove it and apply another "skin."

I then use the small split ring to attach the combo to whatever i need to.

4. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

I ditched mine long ago. I don't miss it.

todd

5. Ors

Ors Empty Pockets

My car has a remote starter that I have gotten very spoiled with, so that is why I keep that remote. The other one is for the family van and remote access to the power sliding door is awfully convienent with small children.

Any suggestions for carrying the remotes seperate from the keys, yet still readily available?

6. Redhed

Redhed Loaded Pockets

Have you considered sewing all the remotes to the inside of your left forearm?

Seriosuly, it does amaze me that you can't buy a "universal programmable" one that's about half the size of the ones that come with everything. In my case, I have two cars (only one of which has keyless entry, but this car will be replaced soon) a home alarm/garage door opener that came with an mini/car alarm style key fob, and I just put up a driveway gate that I plan to install an opener for. ("Honey, get out and get the gate, will ya?" is starting to malfunction.) So potentially, I could have four of the little matchbox sized gems dangling from my keys soon if I wanted to...

Some searches (universal keyless entry, and keyless entry duplicator) on ebay turned up these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAR-UNIVERSAL-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-CONTROL-DUPLICATOR-A_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33723QQitemZ8070558322QQrdZ1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAR-UNIVERSAL-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-CONTROL-DUPLICATOR-G_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33723QQihZ019QQitemZ8072181163QQrdZ1

All of which seems minimally documentated, totally shady and dubious. But if it worked, it'd be cool!

I remember reading something about Chamberlain garage doors suing a company called Skylink for making universal garage door openers, so maybe that's what's kept a legit universal product from being developed. That and you hear fear-based stories about thieves "code grabbing" people's car alarm frequencies, garage door opener frequencies, etc. While technically possible, I know most thieves don't have that level of sophistication. And if they do, they ain't using it to open my garage and steal that old ten speed bike in there.

7. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

How do you ditch your remotes? Buy an old car :lolhammer:

8. Ors

Ors Empty Pockets

Part of my problem was solved today, in a most unexpected way. Yesterday my car with the remote starter went into the shop for an estimate. The news was dismal. My wife and I decided to get another car, and today we got one. It came with only one remote, and she has gotten hooked on remotes, so I told her she could have it. That lightens the load a bit!

While we were getting an estimate for a new remote starter, we saw a key fob with an LCD display that controlled several different things on the car. I'm wondering if they have anything (forgot to ask) that could control two cars, and why not the garage door and house lights while they are at it. Won't be long I suppose if that technology isn't here yet.