1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How do I clean a new black Gerber?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Rebel, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

I'm sure this has been discussed a few dozen times but I couldn't find a thread.

Just got a new Gerber 600 black "stainless". Looks like a pretty nice tool. I had a 600 stolen years ago and finally decided to replace it. Does anybody have any suggestions on cleaning this thing? It's a smudgy mess. I would normally spray it down with Simple Green, wash it off, oil it, and dry it somewhere. But I can't get any normal cleaning chemicals here and it is humid enough right now that nothing will dry, ever. Severe risk of rust. I am hunting down mineral oil since I want to be able to use the can opener without poisoning myself or stinking up my food and all I have on hand is 3-in-1 and Break Free CLP which are not good candidates for that.

2. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Is it pin constructed or there are screws? Try disassembling the whole tool and clean the parts one by one. Try a Zippo fuel, it'll melt almost everything greasy and sticky it touches and will evaporate quickly. If you're afraid of poisoning, than get a rubbing alcohol (96% alcohol would be even better). If you CAN'T disassemble the tool, first, find an air compressor somewhere and blow everything out of your tool, than take an old (or new) toothbrush and clean all the tight spaces and spots with it. Lastly get some liquid (as I mentioned earlier) and soak it good with it. Lastly, oil it. That's from me.

Rebel likes this.
  3. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

Thank you, lots of good info there. I have to check but I'm not sure the tool is disassemblable without special tools.

I seem to remember somebody selling a custom rig on multitool.org. It would definitely be good to have something like that I'll check on here too.

IHateBottleOpeners likes this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

If you can't get rubbing alcohol (should be able to at a pharmacy I'd think) or 96% alcohol, I'd think a really good vodka or even a high end rum like Ron Rico 151 might work. Just don't use anything with any sort of flavoring... and maybe dry off in an oven set just high enough to dry everything off... around 213 F.

And then lube after words.

Good luck.

Moshe ben David

5. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Those kinds of drinks may contain sugar (glucose) and will make the situation even worse, it will stick part to part and you'll be forced to clean it with water after applying it.

6. Moshe ben David

Vodka normally does not have sugar. Whilst rum is made from sugar cane, I don't think the unflavored rums have any following distillation. Which is why I pointed out to NOT use any with any flavoring. Check the labels....

As a rule of thumb, following distillation, what is collected is a mix of alcohol and water. Period. What shows up in the bottle for sale will only have sugars etc if flavorings are added.

Hope this helps clear up what I was suggesting.

Moshe ben David

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Wait don't waste "really good vodka" for cleaning knives - get the cheap vodka. It will work just as good. As others have said, though, don't get flavored vodka. My wife uses cheap vodka to clean jewelry, and it works great.

Moshe ben David is right. The distilling process removes any remaining sugars.

8. Moshe ben David

jag-engr : Thanks for effectively confirming me! I knew I was right; my Bachelor's is in Biochemistry. But having confirmation adds credibility for the reader's sake. Much appreciated!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I thought you were right (and knew for sure that alcohol doesn't leave stuff a sticky residue), but a quick Google search provided confirmation that all sugars are removed by distilling.

10. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Hose it down, shake it really hard, leave it open to dry, and add some oil.

11. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just wiped mine down with a moistened paper towel, then dried it with another paper towel, and presto change-o, no more black oxide junk on my hands.

I also have few qualms about wiping down my tools with WD-40, but I rarely use the can opener. If I'm not using a P-38, I'm generally using a SAK.

12. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

A little wd40 is good for you anyhow. If you actually managed to get any off the what.. quater inch surface area that actually comes in contact with the can ?
    Sure is gonna be better than the chemical and poison residue on the top of the can from the factory ;)
    Clean it, wipe it off, go to work :)

Moco and TRUE LIBERTY like this.
  13. Steezo

Steezo Loaded Pockets

vinegar can work in a pinch

14. masonshin1

masonshin1 Über prepared

maybe shake the whole thing in isopropyl alcohol, it can be bought at almost any grocery store and it WILL dry even in humid weather. (just make sure to get atleast 90% or it could leave residue)

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

Toothbrush, dish soap, warm water. Put it in the sun to dry, or if you have a dehumidifier, turn it on and set it it on top to get blow-dried.