1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How did you use your flashlight today?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by david57strat, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

Not today but last night checking out a menu in a fondu restaurant with really dingy dark lighting. Great for the ambience terrible for reading menus. Maybe because the prices are so :censored: high it stops patrons having a heart attack until they have paid the bill! :eek:

captainamerica and dplafoll like this.
  2. Bander124

Bander124 Loaded Pockets

Use me E05 every night when i get home from work at 1 am to make sure the spider didnt put its web in front of door. That is a lesson taught once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

3. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Used my Nitecore MT2A tonight walking back to the parking lot after playing in a jazz concert to help a fellow band member find her car.

Kev2488 and chaosmagnet like this.
  4. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

Well strange story, was heading back from vacation and my parents SUV had the brake lines go out. I was 3 hours from home and had to use the bathroom while waiting for the tow truck to pick up the vehicle. So I go and use it and it has a sensor built into the switch which met it's timer and the lights went out so I had to reach into my pocket and use my HDS to find the door and wave my hand so the sensor would come on....it has not been the best of days. This vacation was not much of a vacation.....

Sent using an overpriced phone plan..

Water-Rat likes this.
  5. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

My flashlight has a magnet in the end. I process driver turn-ins at work. I use the magnet daily to find staples in the paperwork.

6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I forget to set the porch light when I left this morning because I wasn't really expecting to be back too much after sunset. I had to take an unexpected detour and took a lot longer getting home. I did however, pack my Nitecore MT2A, so I used it to scan the area around my house when I pulled up because there's no working street lights on my end of the street. Then I put the Nitecore on the MOLLE on the strap of my Rush 24 to see to find my key and open the door.

7. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Looked for my keys on the dresser, the light switch was Waaayyyyy over there like six whole feet. Luckily I had my olight. Whew~

8. Sonorum

Sonorum Loaded Pockets

Luckily we edc-pros can handle everyday survival scenarios like that! Whew indeed!

9. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Hey...in life it pays to have a skillset.

10. Sonorum

Sonorum Loaded Pockets

Certainly does!

11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I used my Fenix E11 to see what was making a racket on the front porch in the night. However, whichever animal it may have been took flight when I opened the door, so I never found out.

Water-Rat likes this.
  12. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I used my HDS rotary to light the subject of a time exposure photo to balance with moving lights in the background. I also used it to sneak around my sleeping wife in the morning to find my clothes.

Water-Rat and dplafoll like this.
  13. fisk-king

fisk-king Loaded Pockets

7hr power outage at my parent's home allowed her to use her Maglite 3D w/ Malkof dropin (primary use) and this:

[​IMG]

Typed by my butler Jenkins on tapatalk

Water-Rat likes this.
  14. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Had an unusual visitor crashing around in the back yard last night. Brought out the BLF and rained down the furryous lumens.... on a moose. Yeah they are quiet when you are weeding the garden. Trying to sleep, I was sure it was a herd of wildebeests stampeding through the forest chasing a pack of pachyderms.

15. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Last night I used my light to look for other flashlights... I had misplaced a couple of EDC lights in the truck and, since I had other options, didn't bother to look for them until now... found them easily enough :)

iacchus likes this.
  16. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Busted out my trusty lil pocket light to fix an Agilent 5973 Mass Spec. The darn pass-through weldment was all buggered up, some tech cross threading the soft brass, no doubt.

They said, "It has a leak, and I can't find it. Do you have a leak detector?"

I said, "that whole thing is a stupid expensive leak detector!" and proceeded to show them how to use their equipment.

Water-Rat likes this.
  17. Sonorum

Sonorum Loaded Pockets

I sold a camera lens today and the buyer wanted to look for scratches but his phone had died. Luckily I have an Olight i3e!

ran23 likes this.
  18. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

We would be dead in the water without portable lights (i.e. flashlights and headlamps) here on the ranch! Probably 7-8 months out of the year much of what we do outside is done via a lamp of some kind. AND, it never fails, when something goes wrong or haywire it's usually dark outside. (and the severity of the problem is inversely proportional to the amount of moonlight too!) Consequently, we put flashlights and headlamps to the ultimate test of durability, coverage and utility.

"What did I use my light for today?" Gosh, let me count the ways! Just this morning, as every morning, I used my headlamp to go feed the cows before the sun started to come up. Last night we had some coyotes get into the calves so I was out with the FatMax rechargeable spot trying to get a bead on them or scare them off (this is pretty much a nightly occurrence). I carry a Fenix 01 in my pocket daily as part of my EDC and given where I work I use it about 50x a day for one thing or another.

We have multiple primary and backup lights in every room of the house / barns, vehicles, tractors or pieces of equipment. Lights are cheap in comparison to the immeasurable frustration of not having a light handy when one is needed!

Many people think a flashlight is only needed when it's dark out, but quite the contrary is true. Lights can be equally valuable in bright sunshine just as often. Often the intense glare of the sun creates shadows in areas which need to be seen. A small light can be infinitely handy for illuminating the inside of an electrical cabinet or small space with the glaring sun directly behind it. That, or illuminating that pesky wire or fitting you need to observe with the sun shining directly in the corner of your eye.

I don't think I could make it through an entire day without a flashlight (or five). In the concealed carry (firearms) world one of the mantra's is 'how far are you from your nearest CCW?', well, we have a similar mantra in the ranching world...how far are you from your nearest light? When I need a light, I need it RIGHT NOW; I don't have time to rummage around through drawers or closets to get one. Time is the difference between life and death, and not having a light when you need one can quickly put me on the losing end of this battle. My nearest light? Never out of arms reach, no matter where I am and even as I type this if I needed a light I could have at least two in my hand before I even stand up from this chair. To count the number of ways we use a light in a given day would be nearly impossible.

GatorMedic, Sonorum, Strayz and 3 others like this.
  19. zestyalpaca

zestyalpaca Loaded Pockets

The girlfriend was looking for something deep in our unlit closet using her phone light held in one hand. After listening to her sighing in frustration for couple minutes, I brought my thrunite ti3 over, clipped it to the brim of a cap, and put it on her head. Two minutes later, she found what she was looking for. I don't think I'll hear any complaints the next time I want to pick up a new light ;)

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  20. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

You will, in the form of how many lights do you need, or you already have one... ect..