1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How did you use your flashlight today?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by david57strat, Jan 24, 2015.

1. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I've seen so many threads here:

what's incoming...
    what's on your wish list...
    how would you rate (such and such light/s)...

I don't think I've seen a thread, here, specifically addressing some of the many uses we have for our lights. I saw a similar thread to what I had in mind, on Candle Power Forums, and thought I'd start one, here. Any admin's out there...if such a thread already exists, please feel free to merge this with that one. Thanks!

Let me preface this by saying, I don't own a headlamp - yet.

Last night (not today..yeah, yeah), I was changing a bunch of watch batteries, and my little halogen Tensor lamp wasn't doing the trick (those batteries are super tiny :| ); so I decided to ceiling bounce a ThruNite TN30 (just to the left of my laptop - on top of which was a micro fiber lens cloth covering it, so I could do my work lol), and I lamp-bounced a Fenix TK-41 (off to the right of the laptop) from underneath the "lens" ( ? ) of the lamp, pivoting it towards the laptop.

I also taped a piece of white paper on the wall/DVD shelving by the wall (probably about two feet above the TN30), giving the paper a curve that would help better reflect the TN30 beam, and spread the reflected light around a little better than the ceiling, alone. It really helped. My working area was super-well-lit, and I was home-free :).

I used the small blade of a Victornox Spartan to pry off the covers on all of the watches.

I wish I had taken a picture lol. I suppose I could take one now, but the cool factor won't be there, being that we still have full daylight.

It was pretty funny-looking, but it worked beautifully!

Flashaholics generally find all sorts of ways to make use their flashlights for all sorts of lighting purposes.

How did you use your light today, or whenever?

Thanks, in advance, for sharing :)

Last edited by david57strat, Jan 24, 2015
    GatorMedic, thePlumbah and ManVsLawn like this.
  2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I use a flashlight every day because I have a dark colored cat- who likes to flop down in front of you while you walk- and dark floors, so after the lights go off and I need to get from wherever I am to the bedroom, the light is a literal lifesaver.

REDDEVIL, thePlumbah and ManVsLawn like this.
  3. david57strat

It's funny that you mention that, because my ex and I had a cat who was constantly trying to beat me to my next step. He didn't want to just be ahead of me, but wanted to be at the EXACT spot my foot was supposed to land, before I could get my foot there lol. Drove me nuts.

Stupid/beautiful cat. May he rest in peace. His name was Silly (Sylvester).
    [​IMG]

4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I'm sorry he's gone, David. Looks like he was pretty good size too; it must have been fun tripping over him.

5. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yesterday, as soon as I walked out the back door I could smell a skunk... strong. I whipped out my light to probe behind the heat pump
    and under the deck stairs. Getting up to go to work at 5 in the morning is bad enough, I had no desire to get sprayed in the process.

6. david57strat

Thank you.

Yeah - it was a trip (no pun intended) - very much an exercise in keeping my balance, on a regular basis lol.

Last edited by david57strat, Jan 24, 2015
    ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. david57strat

No doubt. Do you live in a rural area, where there are lots of critters (wild, and otherwise) that wonder onto your property? Either way, sprayed by a skunk (whether in the city, or on the farm) is just as smelly.

CSM-101 likes this.
  8. zep_1

zep_1 Loaded Pockets

Used my Maelstorm MMU to light up our bedroom at 6 am so my wife could find her glasses.... her words " wow I think that is brighter than the light in this room normally.

9. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, it's rural. I have motion sensor lights on the deck and the garage that get tripped all the time from creatures walking around.

ManVsLawn and david57strat like this.
  10. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

I use mine daily in my job as a pest control tech/inspector.

11. david57strat

I hear you. I have a Maelstrom X-10, which is a beast of a light, for its size and weight (great thrower). It's the only 26650 light I own, thus far.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  12. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nightly Uses - Dog walks and finding said dog in backyard (big, and black...) & walking around late at night avoiding children's toys.

Daily Uses - looking under things for items usually dropped/lost by daughter and fiance.

Today, I found a marble and a 'baby lion' (tiny squishy lion my daughter likes right now) over and over again under a small piano and some chairs.

david57strat likes this.
  13. islandboymitch

islandboymitch Loaded Pockets

When my wife and I go to the movies, I use my flashlight (usually a surefire E2L Outdoorsman) to check under our seats as we leave to ensure we didn't loose anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ManVsLawn, david57strat and CSM-101 like this.
  14. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

Used Olight S10 Baton to better see some screws that needed removing and then reinserting in the oven door, that needed to be partially taken apart to clean a mess that the wife made, when she let some pumpkin cheesecakes slip, while taking them out of the oven.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. surefire7

surefire7 Loaded Pockets

I also used my Olight S10 today while cleaning under the housing of the treadmill (mucho doggie hair!!!).

16. Scrub

Scrub Loaded Pockets

I usually use mine to pick up after the dog at the park. Very glamorous.

17. david57strat

Doesn't need to be glamorous lol. It needs to help you see what you've got to see - whatever that may be.

I use an Olight S20 as a (sometimes) night light, and for lighting the interior of a closet shelf, when I'm grabbing clothes during the dark hours of the morning.

I haven't yet used it under the hood of a car, but the tail magnet would make it perfectly suited for that (with the use of a diffuser), as well.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  18. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I replaced a light switch wall cover. The little one wanted to see what was in the cavity. Before I put the new cover on, used the flashlight to illuminate the cavity. Explained the wiring. The flashlight made it much easier to see.

19. david57strat

I like to use a Fenix E15, when I'm looking inside tight spots. Below, for instance, when inspecting the inside of a guitar body:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's a pretty tiny little light that can squeeze into some pretty small places that most of my other lights would never be handy to use.

3 modes, up to 170 lumens, on a single CR123 (I'm using a LiFePO4 in it, at the moment). This was my first Fenix light :). A wonderful little key chain light that I never actually put on my key chain - but it would be really well-suited, on one - if I actually had the key chain space lol.

ManVsLawn and quickster47 like this.
  20. Not In Vain

Not In Vain Empty Pockets

I used my flashlight to look for something that fell behind a co-workers desk. The truth is though, I turn it on often...just to pretend I'm trying to look for something. :)

Spike190, Kev2488, ManVsLawn and 2 others like this.