1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How did you get into or start EDCing

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by xtrajack, Mar 11, 2011.

1. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I was wondering how or why other folks here got into or started EDCing (assuming that EDCing is a word).

I have noticed that most other folks I know personally who EDC, have a military or law enforcement background. I was just wondering if that is just a local phenomenon.

In my case, I have always felt a compelling need, as far back as I can remember, if I had pockets, I had to have something in them.

My military experience, helped refine and define the things that I carry.
    It doesn't matter what you have, if you don't have it where you need it---You don't have it.

2. Reloc8

Reloc8 Loaded Pockets

I got into it, as I perceive it, as part of the maturing process.

Basically, I became a man, or adult to use a gender neutral word, and started taking responsibility for myself (first step) and then accepting my responsibility to also provide for persons close to me (my dependents) and also those who needed or could need assistance generally or otherwise.

By assistance, I mean to say that I attempt to put myself in the position of being practically useful to those who might need or want something which I can provide, whether that's advice, physical aid, protection and comfort or just a helping hand.

As I said, its from when I realised I was a man.

3. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I pretty much always carried useful items on me, just not as much. When my wife left me last year it was a total shocker and I was so lost. :'( I never imagined it would happen. Now I prepare for the unexpected and I hopefully will never be put in a situation that I am not prepared for.

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Grandpa. He always checked me for a pocketknife and a bandana or as he called it....a handkerchief.

5. mus4shi

mus4shi Empty Pockets

Likewise, being in the military and past experiences do helped to refine the kinda stuffs that i decided to carry now.

From my training and self reliance mindset, little bit of preparedness outweigh the consequences for not having them but of cos i will keep them to the minimum

Its about self-dependence and not be caught off guard in which majority around me does.

Very often, my EDCs helped people in need around me therefore i'm glad I carried them.

6. Sparkey

Sparkey Loaded Pockets

My Dad taught me to be prepared for any situation, and he instilled in me the value of a good watch, a sharp knife, and always carry a handkerchief. I carry a lot more than he did, but I wouldn't carry half of what I do without his influence. As a matter of fact, when he passed in 2009, some of the main things I kept were his knife, watch, and keychain. In short, HIS EDC.

Mix that with a love of tools and gadgets, and I guess that's it...

7. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Hadn't gave this question much thought previously.
    When I was young, I had a lot of cheap flashlights and pocket knives. Nobody in my family really had an influence.
    I used to skateboard a lot and usually had a backpack with a skate-key and a few odds and ends...nothing I considered EDC at the time.
    After I lost my drivers license (due to being iresponsable) I had to walk or ride a bike for transportation. It was then that I realized how having some items with you at all times could REALLY make life easier and keep things safe while on the trail or out and about.
    Having a basic first aid kit, tool kit, extra batteries and chargers for the phone along with a knife and flashlight can really be a huge help. Since I don't have a car to throw my daily EDC items into when I leave to do something, my basic EDC kit is straped to my back via a Falcon II or other backpack.

I think Reloc8's post sums it up. At some point you realize that its important to be self-reliant and being able to lend a helping hand when needed are a great feeling to have. I know I'm the ONLY one I can count on.
    EDC has become a real important part of my life. Having quality items on you and knowing how to use them can make life much easier.
    I also feel it's very important to not rely entirely on any piece of gear, but to have the proper mind-set and knowledge to deal with lifes situations when no items are available.

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

8. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

Mine started from my interest in guns, which led me to Youtube, and I saw Nutnfancy's EDC system. I've also tried to be a self-reliant person since I was little, and I've always liked gadgets as well. Now it's pretty much just an obsession that stems from all of that. I also like being helpful, and I do get some enjoyment out of making someone's day a little better.

9. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

I've had a huge interest in lights ever since I was little. When it came to a toy truck, the more flashing lights it had the better. Now as an adult I benefit daily from the idea of always "being prepared." You never, ever know when you or someone else might need something that YOU carry, and that includes lighting tools. Knives, sunglasses, and other EDC items just come with the territory. A couple close friends of mine help fuel my interest in these items as well. It's a sickness to which there is no cure.

10. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

I prefer to think that WE are the healthy minded ones. ;D
    Taking responsability for ones well being and those around us is a good state of mind.

The REAL sickness is in those who don't carry ANYTHING and rely on OTHERS exclusively....BAD mindset= sickness:sigh::tickedoff:

11. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

I agree whole-heartedly there! There's a coworker of mine who always gives me crap for carrying a flashlight. Next time he says something I'm blinding him with it.

12. datawireguy

datawireguy Loaded Pockets

My dad taught me to carry a knife at all times. I even carried it at school. That be looked down on now. Now that I am in search and rescue I don't feel good leaving the house without at least a knife and a flashlight. In search and rescue we spend a lot of time helping people that were not prepared for the worst.

13. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mine started when I was young (I always loved flashlights and screwdrivers), and then got a lot more serious when I joined the fire department, went to college, became a paramedic and fire chief, got into health and safety in chemical plants, and went further and further in my career. The more my job changed, the more stuff I ended up having to carry. These days I'm going back-to-basics (less is more).

14. AcesQ

AcesQ Loaded Pockets

Started couple of years ago. Initially started off with a tiny coin cell light. Then begin to carry a little more stuffs. My classmates don't understand my need to carry all those stuffs but it had been proven useful to me. :)

15. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Loaded Pockets

After my daughter was born I felt the need to stay prepared. She now shows an intrest in EDC and I wont have to worry as much when she gets older. BTW she will be 8 next week! We both enjoy the outdoors and adding new things to our BOB's. I guess its our hobby!

16. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

hmm.. i always liked tools, flashlights, pocketknives, gadgets and things. and watched my very handy dad and grandad fix things.. beeing their little helper. when going for vacation trips or any longer drives/trip my dad always collected his bail out bag of sorts (tools and spareparts to car. some snacks etc) and he also kept things in his car that might become handy etc.. so i kinda followed suit.

as i grew up i also started to have tools and items i might need near by around the house. then i sttarted to put them into my car so i would have them near me if i went somewhere. then i started to carry a flashlight with me during winter times (we have plenty ligth during summer) and things in my car increased in numbers. then i started to see that i kept needing a light all the time.. either myself or loaning it out to someone else.. so i started to carry it everywhere.

then couple years ago i decided i need a new flashlight to replace the well worn 8yo uk4aa incan.. oh led lights. cool. lets go and learn of them, google.. lead me to candlepowerforums.. WOW what a whole new bright shiny world! slippery slope begun.. i started to buy them alot. hooked in addiction.

then while i was looking around the new lights i saw a youtube video from nutnfancy.. and liked his rambling ways and items he reviewed.. then i saw a an comment linking to edcf.. put it into favorites (will read when i have the time) ..oh knives too.. i kinda need a new pocket knife too as the old ones are just cheap or old or something.. bought a knife (and then many many more) kept watching reviews.. then went on youtube reviews of his friends/watchers.. and saw couple threads of BOBs.. bailoutbags! that sounds cool. items they carry.. ready for everything.. thats nice. i have that wish, but i dont have all those cool gadgets..and definately not in one simple location! gotta learn more.

and then they linked to videos of things they carry on themselves in their pockets..

they and once again they referred once again edcf.. hmm.. i guess i need to see what this edc thing is about.. and came here to see what was was going on. bad/good idea!

Ha im Hoooked.. line and sinker! edc.. i realised i kinda do and have done that for years.. not on me but near me or with me when i go around places..

then i keep adding things i might want and like and need and think that would be cool. i try to restrain myself .. alot. and i know i should get better organized with my things.. will eventually. i promise.

the things i carry with me every day.. i try to keep them light and minimal. just wallet, keys, phone, tool/knife, flashlights. all other stuff i try to keep in my bag that i take with me (but dont carry on me whole day) its just near by.. nearer than my other "base", the car. the bag keeps getting heavier all the time. as i somehow figure out to add some more stuff there.. and then as it gets too heavy i try to remove them else where. :)

oh.. almost forgot one reason to edc..

my lazyness.. cant dismiss that factor either.. im getting too lazy to go and find a thing from the house or garage or car or cabinet or work station that would help to do the job better.. i rather take it out of my pocket and try to do it with it instead.. (a box needs to be opened, fingers and teeth cant hack it.. non edc person stops and goes to get scissors or box cutter etc.. edc person continues and just uses his multitool/knife/pocket tool saving time and effort)

most importantly i like to be a bit more prepared to do something about an small hitch/problem i might encounter than most other people are, and that is achieved by carrying things with you, making you spend least amount of extra effort before beeing able to begin to tackle at the problem. also i do have an built infactuation to cool, loud, dangerous, sharp, bright, shiny things, tools, machines and gadgets

17. FelixTheCat

FelixTheCat Loaded Pockets

Early in my career I would be in the field and have to survey existing buildings to draw up plans from scratch. I learned to have with me the things I needed to make my job easier. I worked by myself a lot of the times and came up with ways to do things on my own. That go me in the habit of always having tools on me.
    Outside of work I can't remember a time when I didn't have some type of pocket knife on me.

18. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

In the younger years, my dad made sure I always had a small folder in my pocket, remember the 2 and 3 bladed Barlow knives, about 2 inches long with different baldes? He told me to always carry a knife, it's the best tool you'll ever own. Through the years I found my self without a light when needed, so I got one, two, several.....multitool was a must, bandaids are handy, need something to write with on road trips, etc...So to this day I keep everything I need in a Stormtracker Unikit that goes with me at all times. It's small, and cannot let me go overboard with items I don't need. I only carry the items I use or need in emergency as this keeps it very simple and light. I pack more in the event I will be gone for more that a day or two, but that is just simple planning. I don't like the sling bags because I don't want to have to dig for an item when needed, just unzip my kit bag and everything is layed out the same way everytime.

19. smithy

smithy Loaded Pockets

Hi my name is smithy and I EDC .

It started with an SAK but that wasn´t enough then I got into collecting knives there it went bad. I found a forum www.messerforum.net where everybody collected knives but they didnt stop at that. No they where also collecting multitools, flashlights and stuff I never heard of!

Now I hesitate to leave the house with out my Maxpedition Jumbo and its content. When I do leave the house without it I got a keychain full of stuff( including a prybar, flashlight and a leatherman micra) a folder and a multitool (both rotating models) and a piece of paracord of 6ft with me.

If I carry less I feel naked and uncomfortable my thoughts are fixed on my next EDC kick .

But I am glad that I found this group of people here fighting the same addiction!

Maybe they can help:)

20. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

I was raised with an EDC mentality. My dad is very big into the outdoors and being prepared with the proper tools for the job. He got me hooked on knives and flashlights at a very young age. Over the years I started carrying more and more. Now I'm at the point where my pockets are getting to be quite full. I like to pass on my hobby to friends and family too. I love it when people ask me if I really have a use for all that stuff in my pockets. I just smile and nod.