1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

how did you find edc

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by pmeowned, Nov 17, 2008.

1. pmeowned

pmeowned Empty Pockets

In this thread I would like to know how long you've been carrying stuff, when and how you found this forum, what intrests you the most about edc ?

let me go first,
    to tell you the truth I started carrying stuff after looking at this forum :lolhammer:
    I found this forum about 1 month back but didn't join right then. I found out about this forums from a guy on you tube called cutlerlover he had it on his list of forums so i checked it out
    the thing that intrests me the most about edc is making my own usedull knives and tools

now it's your turn :fingered:

2. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

Hi,
    I've been an EDC without knowing it most of my life, since I was maybe 8 years old. I thought I was largely alone in my mindset and living uniquely in a world of my own, only occasionally running into a kindred spirit in the real world.

I've been preparing myself for disasters (natural and man-made) for decades. I have several Go Bags or BOBs for different situations, but last year, I started this new Go Bag based on this bag that Special Forces soldiers kept under their seat of their vehicles because I thought it was a great idea (for effectively using unused space).
    [​IMG]
    I set mine up to suit my needs, and was very satisfied with my "system", but I always had these nagging questions about the size/design of these three zipper pouches along the backside of this pack. They were small. They were single zipper (thus hard to access quickly). And though I eventually found a designated use for them, I could not figure out what military piece of equipment that these three pockets were originally designed for. They're too small for comms equipment, they don't fit ammo or magazines well, too small for food or MREs, most US issue first aid gear does not fit well in these pockets, and they're really too small for practically carrying anything of immediate use... a pair of socks? a single grenade?? So I began researching on the internet, trying to find out what people use those pockets for (or what did the Special Forces use those pockets for?). This led me to a review of this SO Tech Go Bag, written by someone at this EDC Forum. After I read this (good) review, I started looking around this forum, and.....

I discovered that I was not alone in this EDC obsession! I was even flabbergasted to learn that there were even people that loved things made out of TITANIUM like me.... LOL. :roof:

3. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

I have been EDCing since I was very young. My father was a mechanic and avid outdoorsman, so it kinda just got handed down. I found EDCfourms by accident searching for knives. I will say I am a bigger EDCist because of it.

4. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Ha! I too found this forum from Cutlerylover on youtube!

5. youngheart80

youngheart80 Loaded Pockets

I've been an EDC nut since middle school - always had to have the same type of mechanical pencil with me for the day for my school work and it just evolved from there. So, I always had a back pack with back-up pencil and lead. From there it just grew so that by the time I made it to college it had grown close to what it is today. Spending two years in Argentina helped as well - I was a US citizen visiting and found that often I would want or need things during the day that no one else really carried - pens particularly. So I made sure there that I set out every day with all the essentials I needed.

I'm not sure how I found the forum actually - I remember one day a few months back seeing the acronym "EDC" and wondering what the heck it was. If I had to guess, I'd say I saw it in a comment on Lifehacker.com. Looked up EDC and lurked for a while.

6. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

I've been EDCing stuff ever since I was 10 or 11.
    I always had a pocket knife of some kind and a pen or pencil and some paper in my pocket as long as I can remember.

I found EDC while perusing Doug Ritter's Equipped To Survive website forums.

7. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

I guess I've been EDCing since 14 or so. That's when my grandpa gave me my first knife. I carried it around everyday just like he did. I added the multi-tool and flashlight after college since many of the other guys had them at work (IT/computer tech). Most of my EDC is job related but can serve many functions. I got into BOBs from the survivor forums. I started with a good FAK and expanded from there. My website progression went from hiking/camping forums -> survivor type forums -> youtube -> knife/blade forums -> here.

8. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

BSA started it. Began carrying things around in Jr. High. Started with pocket knives and added a multitool when I got involved in Crew. One day JSB came to the Spyderco Factory forums (my home on the internet; first forum I belonged to) and told us about EDC forums. I joined, and shortly after that got into flashlights and CPF. The rest is pretty much history.

9. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I have always carried an SAK in my pocket, on and off, but am definitely carrying more items since finding EDCF.

I'm not sure now how I found it. I think I was searching for some EDC item and the forum popped up on a search
    engine.

I'm interested in small, clever solutions to problems and EDC that is easy to carry but very useful to have.

There certainly is a lot of great collected wisdom here. EDCF is definitely on my Top Ten Hit Parade.

O0

10. tndiver13

tndiver13 Loaded Pockets

A buddy at work told me about this place. I have been here every day since. :whee: Thanks KPD151

11. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

i have been edcing stuff since high school
    i used to have a little organizer thing in the side pocket of my bag that had a leatherman wave, small security bit and socket set, ratchet and screwdriver handle, gas soldering iron and solder, wire (both electrical and aircraft tie wire)
    i will probably throw the iron back in the bag when i find a new tip for it, although i havent needed to solder for a while

12. pmeowned

pmeowned Empty Pockets

that is so cool and thanks too him especially

13. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Cutlerylover has done a lot for these forums.

We don't ever get to see him because he is famous on youtube!

Which reminds me......gotta go see if he has posted new videos. :bolt:

14. Free Radical

Free Radical Empty Pockets

It started when I needed to sharpen my old pocket knife but instead I bought a nicer one. Then I started looking to upgrade my flashlight and discovered LED technology, then I was hooked.

I'm now constantly thinking about improving my setup.

15. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I've always liked having all sorts of stuff with me. Even as a kid, my pockets were always full of junk, e.g. pretty stones. Got my first knife from my grandfather when I was 6 or so and immediately cut myself, but haven't done it since. Nevertheless, that got me into carrying band-aids (and later a small FAK). I have to admit that I was well into adulthood by the time I figured out that there might be ways to do it better and smarter than just stuffing all sorts of random things (paper clips and other "might needs") into my pockets. After graduating I got some temp jobs, and with somewhat improved finances came the desire to improve the stuff I had.

I like cooking, so first I got good kitchen knives. That sparked my interest in other knives and I acquired various SAKs and folders. From Bladeforums I found CPF. Yes, I did think "what the ****, there's a whole forum just for flashlights?", but I ended up staying there for quite a while. I first came here when CPF was down for maintenance (I think there was even a link to follow). After I had accumulated "enough" good lights and had a good time modding some of them, I moved here for good.

Now I vacillate between carrying way too much stuff and being a minimalist. Usually I'm in a phase somewhere in the between.

16. carise

carise Empty Pockets

I was inspired by Rambo, believe it or not... :p (Or was it from watching the Donald Duck cartoons where he joined the military? I don't remember.)

So even as a little kid, I carried a backpack (and before the backpack, one of those fannypacks, lol) that held a book, my pocketknife, some bandaids, and a sewing kit... and a multitude of other trinkets. I remember how I used to want one of those survival knives sooooo much. Strangely enough, I don't think I ever carried food with me, except maybe fruit snacks. (I find it strange because I always have some kind of candy or snacks with me nowadays.)

I've always been intrigued with carrying stuff. I'm not sure why; it just seems like the right thing to do. :)

17. MacGnG

MacGnG Loaded Pockets

Boyscout = fire + knives + flashlights .... there ya go ;)

18. Johnny_Z

Johnny_Z Loaded Pockets

Ok, now ya got me curious. You shot down all the ideas I had for what goes in those three pouches, so I gotta know, what do those SpecOps guys carry in them? What do you carry in them?

As an aside, I just got the County Comm version of that bag. Doesn't have the outer pouches but is still a really cool lil bag and a quarter of the price.

19. NinjaClerk

NinjaClerk Loaded Pockets

I believe I was staring (and quite possibly drooling) at Stormdrane's page where he has all of his cool projects and looked at the links that he recommended. EDC is one of them.

20. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

Been EDC'ing while hunting since I was 14. (20 years!). A Leatherman Wave has never left my possession. I also carry headlamp and torch, and a small knife, as my dad has always carried a small folder and has always been the guy everyone asks for a knife when needing a package opened or some such.

I found this site after google-ing for the brightest hand held flashlight with good throw. Found the CPForums and eventually made it to here.