1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How can knife store fronts survive?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by speedy, Dec 5, 2017.

1. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Wondering how knife store fronts can survive with large Internet providers that can supply any knife available and ship it to you as early as next day.

I know of a couple. One in Amish country in PA which is knife heaven but again every single thing they have in there is accessible over the Internet.

Then there is the one guy in Monroe CT who I call Mr. Personality who has been there for many years starting with a log cabin setup and now a store front right next to a gun/outdoor sports store that also sells knives.

Just curious people.

2. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Here where i live (Italy) there are lots of traditional knife makers who still have their own store, attached to workshop or not.
    If you are talking about commercial knives, the market is over for the totality of local stores.
    But until the traditional knives exist (I am talking about centuries, generations and generations of artisans who, although not widely known and not having become rich with their work, as it should have been, they are still in activity), with their intrinsic value and prestige, will exist local knives shops.
    Thanks to God.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Nick4305: You are fortunate!

I try to patronize actual store fronts for several of my 'obsessions' (books, knives, fountain pens, watches, stationery) as often as I can. Getting harder and harder. Having the product right there is a service we should treasure.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

RoadWizard and Nick4305 like this.
  4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sell many Knives!

The days of independent shops of almost any kind of items like knives are already mostly over unless they are also into internet trade.

There is a large storefront here with a great selection and they also have a huge online presence and I would guess that the storefront os only a small fraction of their sales.

It is great for me though as I can see and select and touch before buying!

They also have a decent selection of Flashlights and other EDC crap that I clearly need!

Every trip there can be dangerous for me and usually is.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

The internet and globalization has changed the local market dramatically. If you know exactly what you are looking for, why go to a store? A buddy of mine is a kitchen manager and wears a very specific model of footwear. He has no need to go to a store to buy them when he can order them online. With services such as Amazon Prime Now, he can even get them the same day.

Unless it is attached to your existing business, a store front can be an expensive overhead. The only way to really survive now is to offer services that can't be done online. As an example, we have a store at a local mall that sells shaving and beard supplies. All of it can be purchased online...except that they also have a barber studio at many of their locations. They offer a variety of different hair cutting and shaving services. Every single person there is rather knowledgeable. I don't have to wait for canned email responses to questions.

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@landwire: your points are well taken. I have found though that anything that I use by hand or wear works out best if I can actually handle the item in person before purchase. Some of this is workmanship. Some is quality in the sense of how consistently the product is manufactured. Some is ergonomics. Some is fit and finish.

I do buy some clothing on line. Especially dress shirts from a couple of sources. Yet I've had the unhappy experience that they sometimes change sourcing and the fit is no longer what I had grown accustomed to. Shoes are highly variable in fit; I won't even attempt shoe purchases on line. Even a repeat purchase of style and size -- my feet may have changed; their sourcing may change; or both.

Closer those for this forum and this thread, certain knife manufacturers are 'known' to have issues with blade centering, etc. Many have reported having to examine multiple items from a merchant's stock to get a good specimen to purchase. One could even say they get 'butterflies' over this ;-)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

This problem is true of any business. Patrons pilfer products but buy online. You can bet if I can buy something on Amazon I'm going to do it even if I have to pay a couple of dollars more for the hassle free experience. For the most part, I don't even find the item locally to check out beforehand. I just buy with free shipping and return with free shipping if I'm unsatisfied. Most all of my EDC, prepper, tactical, and tech crap came off Amazon, and there was a time much of my clothing came from them too. Now, I buy almost all my clothes at Eddie Bauer because I'm used to the sizes, and I get free shipping, discounts, and can return without incurred cost. I just bought three different sizes of pants online, tried them all one, sent two back, and bought a second pair in the size that I wanted. For me, stores are now for immediate needs, i.e. toilet paper, Romaine lettuce, chicken breasts, etc, but about eight weeks ago we even began consuming mail order meals like Sun Basket. Walmart Pickup is good in theory, but I haven't the "headspace" to make grocery lists and foresight to do it in time to give my "shopper" time to buy my things for me and be waiting when I arrive to pick them up.

Gary Gross likes this.
  8. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

The ones around me sell/carry a lot of customs and mid-techs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I like being able to handle a knife to see if it suits me so I normally shop at a brick and mortar knife store. There have been a lot of knives I thought I would like that I didn't once I got them in my hand. It helps that the knife shop I patronize is pretty close price-wise to internet sellers. I am also willing to buy from them even if they are a little more expensive so that they will continue to be there when I want to go in to check out a knife.

RoadWizard and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. Devon Scout

Devon Scout Loaded Pockets

Well here in the U.K. IF they get there own way most online suppliers will go bust. And make buying knives difficult at best.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/17/ban-knives-delivered-shoppers-doors-proposed-government/

11. aih

aih Loaded Pockets

I'm in the USA, grew up and still reside in Florida. And I travel a lot and have done so for a several decades now.

I'm not sure exactly what changed, other than, obviously, the cost versus sales of a cutlery shop. If my memory is correct, I noticed big changes even before online shopping on the internet came along. I wonder how things have changed just in terms of the numbers of people who would frequent a cutlery shop to begin with. (I remember giving my son one of my SAKs when he was a boy. He's long grown up and married with his own son. I still have the SAK; he wasn't interested.)

Time was every mall had a cutlery store. When I traveled I always made it a point to visit a mall and check out its cutlery store and look at knives. I might even buy one (and back in the day would have had no trouble bringing it home in my pocket or carryon bag. I even bought a straight razor in a mall outside Pittsburgh and carried it home in my toiletry bag in my carry on.) Now of course malls have a hard time just as it is, but the cutlery stores disappeared a long time ago.

There was a standalone cutlery shop in the town I live in, long gone now. It was in a low-rent area in a low-rent building, and that's probably why he survived as long as he did. I think the shop closed when the owner got too old and infirm to work it. I was sad to see it close; one of my regular stops on a Saturday morning to see what was new that week.

We still have some local knife sources among the sporting goods stores that cater to hunters, and several of the hardware stores. I couldn't say for sure which and what is sold as like most nowadays I point and click.