1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How are you securing your firearms in your car?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Evil D, May 6, 2018.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I've been researching small car safes and it seems like a lot of them have locks that are easily broken into. I know anything can be opened with enough time and effort but a lot of what I'm finding use key locks that are ridiculously easy to pick open.

2. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

There are plenty of purpose built safes depending on your vehicle, a lot depends on what you are willing to spend and give up (storage). Depending on your answers to the first, the next questions is, how much time does your gun need to stay in your car? IF it's staying more time in your car than on you, perhaps it's not worth leaving the house with on those trips. Give us some more background on vehicle, if it needs to be portable between multiple cars, $$ you're willing to spend to help you with suggestions.

3. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

Take a look at V-line safes, they use a mechanical lock so no keys and no batteries, I just recently purchased the compact pistol safe for my bedroom nightstand. Very sturdy and well made.

http://www.vlineind.com/

4. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

It stays in the car when I'm at work but I absolutely carry it to and from work so it can't stay home.

Price range just needs to justify what I'm getting. Cheaper is great but security comes at a price. There are some around $30 or so on Amazon but they all use a cheap wafer key lock that can be picked open with practically anything. I also prefer a mechanical style button lock if possible, cost allowing.

I have a small Fort Knox at home that would probably work but it's a little overkill. It can hold about 4 guns and it weighs about 20lbs. I like the style of safe but would like something smaller, 2 gun max size.

5. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

stuff happens, its life... that is likely why he is trying to mitigate the problem by adding a measure of security. Simply saying.."dont leave firearms in cars" is unrealistic to anyone who has ever carried a firearm regularly. As far as I am concerned, I accept that things left behind in a vehicle can be easily stolen and I simply try as best I can to not leave my car in areas that would be deemed "attractive" and conducive to thieves.

I do not have storage laws in my area and often times leave my firearm wedged in the crack between the seats and a pair of folded gym shorts over the top. I do have a Taurus pistol case which is full of old brake parts and epoxied shut. I have it cable tied under the drivers seat and use it as a decoy. Its the second box I have rigged up in this manner, the first was stolen from a beachside parking lot. The bad news is that they shattered my window but the good news is that my firearm was still wedged between the seats. Only the decoy box and a few CD's were taken

steeps, twin63, qkarl and 1 other person like this.
  6. JoeLiberty

JoeLiberty Loaded Pockets

The Vline are similar to your fortknox with the mechanical pushbutton locks. I think they had an option with a drawer that might work for under the seat. Like telstar said, it's all about mitigating risks.

7. Low_Speed

Low_Speed Loaded Pockets

Nothing wrong with getting a safe for the car. GunBox makes a good one.

8. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I have been on both sides of this issue. In my younger days, I took dozens of car burglary reports. The thought pattern was “Why were people were so stupid to leave X-item to entice the wayward youth or chronic substance abuser?”...

Now I am in the shoes of the more likely victim, the thought pattern is “Why should I should I make every compromise to accommodate the least compliant in society?” Not to engage in the pointless internet debating society, but we do take our chances. Arguably my car is more sturdy and secure than my home in physical construction, though legally the reverse (in the US).

My experience, to the original post, is no one picks a locked container inside an already breached vehicle. Vehicular burglary Smash and grabs are common, adding a restraining chain/cable makes that more difficult to remove items. Concealment works sometimes, sometimes doesn’t. Tumbler locks are what I use, mostly for convienence, but have risk for kids or people with sustained unsupervised access.

#8 HardToHandle, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  9. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

I don't have one personally but a friend of mine has a Liberty biometric safe under his seat and he swears by it. Not sure what your price range is but I think he paid around $175-180 for it but I know he's very happy with it.

10. CL01

CL01 Loaded Pockets

The ones with a simplex combo lock (Like on the V-Line & Ft. Knox) are probably your better choices. Based on your explanation, it sounds like the OP pretty much will only use it while his vehicle is parked at work. You have to do what you have to do.

For me, I have keyed-lock gun safe (Small) for my vehicle with a cable looped onto a metal loop. However, I only use it in emergencies (Ended up having to go to a Federal building, a venue that has metal detectors, or something along those lines, etc). Otherwise, I carry all the time.

11. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

I have both V-Line and Ft. Knox products with the Simplex like and I really like them. I do my best not to leave anything valuable in my car, I have had things stolen and it sucks. If I do really need to leave something in my car I make sure to cable lock the safe to the seat structure so the whole safe cannot be stolen.

12. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

There are GSA Class 6 Field Safes (Security Containers) in single drawer configurations with installation instructions for vehicles. More of a trunk install, than under seat. gsa.gov/securitycontainers is a place to start. These show up occasionally on surplus sites.

13. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

What type of vehicle?

14. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I have one bolted to the floor of my truck under the seat.. I have no issue leaving it in there.. But definitely get a good one, can't remember the brand Off hand but I paid well over a hundred.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

HardToHandle likes this.
  15. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

I use a key operated gun box secured with heavy steel cable attached to my truck seat frame with a heavy padlock. Can it be defeated? Yes with a bolt cutter and a few minutes while my truck alarm is blasting the area. I only use the gun box when I can't carry my gun to a doctor appt. I never leave a gun in there for any other reason. So I see my risk is minimal and far better than a locked glove box. I also never have any hunting or gun related stickers on my vehicle.
    Forgot to say that the gun box cannot be seen through any truck window either. It's completely out of sight and no other valuables are visible either.

Last edited by Medic1, Jun 19, 2018
    #15 Medic1, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    MCPOWoller likes this.
  16. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

Yes, any safe can be defeated. But as long as you use a,locked gun box or safe then you have made a reasonable effort to safe keep that gun from being stolen or used in a crime or be easily acquired by your kids and their friends. I think a court of law would see it that way to one's legal coverage.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  17. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Right. If you have your gun locked in a box that's secured to the vehicle that is also locked, I'd say you've taken just as many steps as locking your gun in a safe in your house that's also locked.

18. Medic1

Medic1 Loaded Pockets

In today's environment, legally and politically, if a gun part is found on you while in a govt building, expect to be detained and investigated. It will ruin your day at the least and arrested or prosecuted at worst. Most people, like me, don't have the time or money to fight this stuff in court.
    In addition to the gun box in your vehicle, you can use the internal lock built into a lot of guns. The thief might at least be inconvenienced to have go in search of a key that will fit it to make the gun operable.
    I have never worried about a thief taking the time to pick the lock on the box as they are usually in a big hurry.
    Just use common sense, use a gun safe and don't advertise you are a gun owner on your vehicle. That only makes your vehicle a target.
    I hear on the police scanner and news how frequently guns are stolen out of parked cars at night. I have never understood why people leave them there like that. It's often at streetside or driveway parking at home, not while working the night shift.

19. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Why are we even debating this? This is the problem with the internet, you can't get answers without also getting force fed opinions and ideals. It's getting pretty ridiculous.

#19 Evil D, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  20. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Adminstrative Announcement:

Numerous posts have been removed.

The OP asked about options for securing his gun in a car. Pointless debates about whether or not this is a good idea are not helpful. Silly semantic debates about a gun being a “tool” and not a “weapon” will not be allowed either.

Let’s stay on topic.

Evil D likes this.