1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How are those oakleys?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Pheonix886, Oct 30, 2009.

1. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

A lot of things have huge markups. It doesn't necessarily follow that these products are overpriced.

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I have prescription eyewear by Oakley, not sunglasses. The one I wear when I'm not wearing contacts is the Hollowpoint 4.0 and they are as comfortable as glasses can get. They have transitions lenses in them and are not the typical Oakley Plutonite lenses. A friend of mine does have Oakley prescription sunglasses, and they cost a freaking fortune! However, they are very nice. They are not inserts, although I believe some models may be, such as the wraparound lens models (Radar, M-Frame).

3. Bloodnut

Bloodnut Empty Pockets

This post may be redundant as I only scanned thru the other responses, but here's my .02.... I've had a pair of M-Frames for several years. Love the protection they afford while still allowing unhindered peripheral vision. Several months ago, one of thee little dinky plastic hinges let go. Called Oakley expecting that they would mail me some hinge pins at little or no cost. Instead they wanted to me to mail in the glasses in ($) and they would look at them. If they did any warranty work, it was going to cost me $35. :brickwall: Grrrrr....
    At first I thought the CS rep could not understand what the problem was; alas both she and her supervisor did. (I was very polite, but exasperated.) I ended up using some weedeater line as a hinge pin - and swore off future Oakley purchases.

Several weeks late I'm riding in a friends car and notice some sunglasses stuck in his visor. I put them on and *wow*! They fit me perfectly without looking all tactical like the M-frames. They were Oakley Flak Jackets XLJs. Crap. Ordered some. When they arrived, they did not fit the same as I recalled my friend's fitting me. Sure enough, on comparison, the lenses in mine were smaller. Called Oakley and told them they sent me a box that said XLJ, but the lenses were standard Flaks. They gave me a FedEx number to send my glasses back. They then shipped another pair of XLJs. Same exact result - box was correctly labeled, but the lenses were visibly smaller. I said screw it. A couple weeks later, my old glasses were returned to me with a note saying that they could not be accepted for return because they had been worn. :censored:? I told the rep that when speaking with her on the phone. Whatever.

My buddy who started this mess later wanted the polarized lenses for his Flaks. He ordered the XLJ polarized lenses. He got the correct size. Then another friend ordered some XLJs. His luck was the same as mine - he got standard Flak lenses in an XLJ box.

My take on Oakley is a) they have a huge marketing machine; b) they are making a metric buttload of money; c) they provide a very high level of eye protection; d) CS/warranty leave a *lot* to be desired. Back in the day when they were a smaller company, I think the warranty and CS were better. At this time, they have gotten so big, there is a lack of awareness on what got them there. I am actively seeking a better company to do business with, but I admit to really liking the designs that Oakley puts out and I guess I'm willing to deal with some frustration to get that.

4. hannism

hannism Loaded Pockets

I love the look of Oakley's, but they don't fit me well.

The Raybans are a little cheaper, and they fit me better.

My wife has four pair of Oakleys and one pair of Raybans. She thinks the Oakleys look better, but she agrees the Raybans are more comfortable.

5. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I used to be a dedicated Oakley user and owed 3 or 4 pair through college.

Then I switched to glass optics and found the optical quality much better.
    My polarized glass ray-bans were the best polarized sunglasses I've ever used.

Because of safety requirements for wildland fire, I started using Smith's and have been very happy with them.

Bottom line...

You only have one set of eyes.

When you're older, have bad knees, bad feet, a bad back and deteriorating vision you'll wish you treated your body better.

While the rest of me is falling apart, I still have 20/10 vision.

6. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

I've worn oakleys for my daily glasses, and one of my pair of sunglasses for 2 years now. My other pair of sunglasses are rayban. Yes, there all prescription, and yes, there the best I have ever had in optics.

7. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I am going to go against the grain here. I used to get my Oakleys for essentially free so I have owned in the neighborhood of 30 or 40 pairs going all the way back to Frogs, Blades and Razor Blades twenty years ago. Every pair save one that was stolen and one that were run over failed in short order(under a year). Now I may be rough on glasses but I switched to Ray-Bans 12 years ago and in that time have only had 3 pair and only due to external destruction. I bought a pair of RB Predators in 97 that lasted until 04 when they fell off my collar and I stepped on them. Replaced those with a pair of RB Predator 2's with metal frames, those died in 06 when my friend dropped a box containing 500 clay poker chips(about 15lbs) on them, I will add the glass lenses did not break. Currently I wear a pair of RB Flights that my friend bought to replace my Predators in 06.

I also have a pair of Costa Del Mar that I got from a friend when his sunglass shop closed I wear occasionally I honestly have nothing bad to say about them. I think they are great glasses.

8. kcwater

kcwater Loaded Pockets

I have 3 pairs of glass lens Maui Jim's, one pair of glass lens Costa's, one pair of polycarbonate Bolle's, and I recently purchased a pair of polycarbonate lens Oakley Frogskins, and I like the optical quality out of the Oakley's the best. I would rate Maui Jim a solid #2. All of my glasses are polarized. If you spend any time on the water or other situations when you have significant glare, high quality polarized optics are essential for both clear vision and protection of your eyes.

9. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

I had 3 pairs of Oakleys in the 80's and 90's. I did a lot of road and mountain biking and they were awesome for that. Save my eyesight once when a truck passed me on the road while cycling and kicked up a fairly large rock at my eye. The shields didn't shatter but it did have a nick in them so I had to replaced the lens. But I was thankful I had my Oakleys on. One I lost and one I ran over with my car. :( For casual wear I had a couple pairs Ray Bans from the Top Gun movie craze.

Since then I decided to buy cheapies from CVS, Walgreens, Walmart. Target, etc. Saw one of those news shows like 48Hours or something where they said that the chepies are just as good at UV protection as expensive name brand ones. So from about the mid-90's until last week, I have been buying cheapies and have probably went though 3 dozen or more. None have really fit me well but there were many that were good enough and a couple that were really good. But overall, I feel I've had enough of the ill fitting, easily broken, easily scratched junk. Cheapies have run their course. I need better!

So I started looking for something better and went back to Oakleys, Maui Jims, Ray Bans, etc. Oakleys has their Asian Fit sunglasses and that ended up being the deciding factor. Sunglasses were always a sore spot for me because they all seemed to touch my cheeks and eyebrows as well as sitting too low. I tried on a few Asian Fit Oakleys and what a difference! So I got the Oakley Inmates w/ Black Iridium lenses. These are glorious sunglasses with distortion free clarity and definition I have been lacking for years. I just hope I can keep them in good shape and not lose them. This will take some practice but I think I am mature enough to do this. ;)

[img width=640 height=300]http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UIvftVa71aQ/S0tuNUQbpjI/AAAAAAAANO8/aT5TBg235-4/s800/OakleyInmates.jpg[/img]

And now they have been indoctrinated into my EDC.
    [img width=640 height=427]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_UIvftVa71aQ/S0qiD6znNmI/AAAAAAAANL0/SYxd1XeHBac/s800/IMG_4397.JPG[/img]

10. k2mykel

k2mykel Empty Pockets

I work outside 8 to 10 hours a day. I have worn Oakley's, Smith, and Native. All polarized because I fly-fish. Look at sierratradingpost.com for deals. Go to REI to try them on. REI outpost and "Scratch and Dent" at REI twice a year sometimes have sunglasses.

IMHO, don't buy glasses with removable nose pieces. Do get multipliable lenses.

11. Skidder

Skidder Loaded Pockets

I've had a couple of pairs of Oakleys issued for use in the desert, and they worked well for that. My biggest complaint with the Oakleys was that when folded up, they still had a pretty large footprint. This made them hard to carry when they weren't on my face, and ensured they would never fit in the sunglasses holder in any of my cars.

A couple of years ago, I started wearing Easton baseball sunglasses. About $20 a pair, when not worn they fold up pretty thinly, and they fit in my sunglasses holder in my cars.