1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

How about the SCCY CPX ?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Chicago-Spike, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Chicago-Spike

Chicago-Spike Loaded Pockets

Looking at adding another CCW and have read about this Florida made SCCY. No one has these to rent because they are so cheap, but reviews seem to like this gun. Anybody have one of these? Goods and bads???
    Thanks

2. CStew

CStew Loaded Pockets

I have not shot one but I've heard pretty good things from people that have. I was going to buy one for my wife to CC but the grip was a little too big for her. We ended up picking up a Kel-Tec P11 for her and she loves it.

3. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

No first hand experience here I've heard the CPX-1 was kind of hit or miss on reliability. The CPX-2 I've only heard good things about. My friend who works at the gun shop I go to has spoken highly of them he says they've moved quite a few because of the price point but he doesn't remember a CPX-2 coming back with any issues.

4. Chicago-Spike

The only difference between the 1 and 2 is the 2 has a manual safety on the side. Could it be he's talking about the new Generation 2 of those models?

5. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Both the CPX-1 and CPX-2 are considered to be in their second generation at this time, so I am sure he is talking about the Gen 2's as that's what we saw at our shop too (I used to work in a buddy's gun shop part time to help pay the "extra" bills, single Dad). Just the changes in the grip itself made the gun more appealing to most folks. Either gun is worthy of CCW carry (after a break in time, as with any gun). Even the Gen 1's were not bad guns once it went back to the shop a few times for "updates". We had a shop gun that we put over 10,000 rounds through in a 2 year period with very few issues. On of the greatest things about these guns to date is their warranty (lifetime tied to the gun, not owner) and excellent customer service. It is also generally agreed that they have nicer DA trigger pulls than the Keltecs of the same type. Overall you will not be disappointed in either gun. Good luck!

6. Norm66

Norm66 Loaded Pockets

The early CPX-1s had some reliability issues, from what I've heard it mainly had to do with the magazines. But any SCCY made more recently should be really good.

My wife has a SCCY CPX-2 and loves it. It's never failed in several hundred rounds and seems a really well put together little gun. We've fed it everything from gun show reloads to Hornady Critical Defense rounds with no issues whatsoever. Had the M&P Shield not felt just perfect in my hands I probably would have gotten a SCCY myself.

7. Chicago-Spike

Yeah, I love my 9mm Shield, fits so nice. Am looking at a second choice CCW and a few friends have talked up the SCCY so I will probably go pick one up this week

Norm66 likes this.
  8. Linejudgemick

Linejudgemick Loaded Pockets

If you are interested, Hickok45 reviewed one on his YouTube channel. He seemed to have mixed reliability results. He actually purchased the one he reviewed, but does that impact a review - who knows? My niece has one that she likes and I have to say just holding hers, and knowing what you can buy one for, it makes them interesting. However, this is JMO, but given the serious nature of its purpose I'd opt for something more established that uses a steel instead of an aluminum sub frame, and other better quality components, such as a compact Sig, Glock, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, etc. There are a bunch of things that aren't always apparent at first look in addition to the sub frame; barrel thickness, captured guide rod and springs, better sights, etc. Do you pay more for a brand name? Probably, but there are other reasons they cost more too. After handling (not shooting) her SCCY, I'll stick with my compact pistol.

9. PhrankKastle

PhrankKastle Loaded Pockets

I was wrong I thought the 1 was replaced by the 2 but my friend was talking about the recent production. They've moved quite a few with no complaints.

10. Chicago-Spike

No problem, thanks

11. BigRob
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

BigRob Loaded Pockets

I bought one for my mom for Christmas this year. She isn't a big shooter but she does photography and is constantly out and about by herself and my father thought it would be a good idea to get her something smaller to carry. She wanted something smaller than my Glocks but nothing like a NAA Revolver. So I found one of those for a great deal in a local shop.

After getting it and feeling it for a few days we finally went out and shot it. I thought it shot great but I can see that it is pretty snappy when my mom shoots it. It is quite snappy but overall its a good little gun. I've personally only put about 50 rounds through one but its not to bad.

Oh hers is the CPX2 without manual safety.

12. Chicago-Spike

Well, at the gun store I was able to look at the CPX and they had an LC9 with LaserMax and I have shot the LC9 and liked it so it will be coming home on Friday. Thanks for the help ;)

13. Don Decker

Don Decker Empty Pockets

The first generations had problems I had one I got in a trade. I contacted the factory and told them about it they emailed me a prepaid shipping label for ups. I sent them the pistol and they sent us a brand new second generation cpx1 free of charge and it shoots awesome my wife loves it. The customer service is second to none.