1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

how about in your vehicle?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by quietconundrum, Apr 24, 2013.

1. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

Do you keep supplemental or backup EDC gear ready in your vehicle? (spare mags, b.o.b./g.h.b., emergency supplies, backup tools/gear, etc etc)

If so, what are the best lessons you've learned or tips/suggestions you can share?

I recently purchased a new vehicle (out of necessity, old one died) and it has afforded me a clean slate as far as reassessing my appearance, preparedness and utility. Because of the dimensions of my center console, I've been considering adding a second Crossbreed Ohai holster (first is in my EDC bag) and spare mag carrier inside for an additional point of concealment for my CCW when, for whatever reason, I cannot have it directly on my person. I've also been considering piecing together a comprehensive but small get home bag for the trunk.

What have you done? PICS ENCOURAGED! :D

2. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I carry all of the stuff I don't need daily, but occasionally in my car. Bigger FAK, a toolbox with most everything, extra food and water, a change of clothes with a coat, hat and gloves, blankets, extra batteries. You know, the basics. And my car is always very close at work or home.

combatconundrum likes this.
  3. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

The town is so small that I could walk back to my house if I needed anything. :p

qqb825, beast, Gambit88 and 2 others like this.
  4. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

i have extra coats and sweaters in my car, but only because i get cold in the morning and then get too hot and leave them in the car, and am too lazy to take them out when i get home. also, empty monster energy drink cans...for, um, emergency recycling money.

shmook likes this.
  5. Bkpker

Bkpker Loaded Pockets

I currently have in my Jeep:
    • 2 fire extinguishers
    • Snow shovel
    • Entrenching tool
    • Machete
    • 30 foot tow strap
    • Several snow/ice scrapers
    • First aid kit (see my post here: http://www.edcforums.com/threads/show-me-your-faks.105055/page-2 )
    • extra fluids, such as oil, tranny fluid, washer fluid etc
    • flashlight (a Inova T3)
    • Spare batteries for the flashlight
    • Gerber Multi Plier 600
    • A Harrington and Richardson 20 gauge single shot
    • My range bag with my Peltor Comtac's, chalk, Gerger Efect tool and Leatherman Crunch
    • Ear muffs for my Wife, Son and Daughter for going to the range
    • Eye protection for the above listed personnel
    I think thats about it for the stuff that I leave in the Jeep. The above EDC layered with my on body EDC and my EDC bag address about 99% of all contingencies that I encounter short of apocalypse. :p

TarHeelBrit and combatconundrum like this.
  6. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I have a Jeep Wrangler. Though I have never been broken into, the Jeeps are easy to get inside if someone sees something they like. I don't leave anything in there but a small FA kit under the rear seat.

7. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

My girlfriend got me a flashlight from LL Bean for christmas. 3AAA, with "multitool" functionality in the handle (blades, scissors etc. fold out from the bottom of the handle). The thing I like best about it is it has a one-touch green LED mode, supposedly for preserving night vision. Anyway, it's too big to EDC so I stash it in the glove compartment. I know that runs a risk for leaky batteries - I haven't gotten around to replacing the AAAs with something that's not alkaline.

8. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

I keep a tool pouch, hammer, power extension cord and a fak in my car

9. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Snow shovel
    FAK
    Survival kit that has an 8" pyromid grill, rope, fire starters, solar still kit, esbit and lots of other stuff.
    Blankets and sleeping bags.

We live where having car trouble on a country road can lead to death so lots of carp to carry. We have a dodge minivan with stow and go seats. The two compartments in the floor are great for gear that isn't tempting for window breakers.

Sent by Owl Post

10. usmchawk

usmchawk Loaded Pockets

I live approximately 30-miles from where I work. I do keep quite a bit in the trunk of my car and it's 'geared' to the types of situations I'm likely to encounter: weather/natural disaster or traffic related incidents that may strand me for 8+ hours (it's happened). In my case, I have: 2 blankets (one wool and one fleece); 2 emergency blankets; change of clothes; hiking boots & extra socks; fleece jacket; waterproof shell; energy bars; 1/2 case of bottled water (I drink this regularly and restock); tool box, large first aid kit; 550 cord; jumper cables; stainless steel water bottle; small kit containing fire steel, waterproof matches, vasoline soaked cotton balls, sewing kit, compass, etc.; tarp; flashlight; gloves; hat; ice scraper.

With this setup I can deal with most short term emergencies up through having to hoof it home.

keith1234 likes this.
  11. villaphoto

villaphoto Loaded Pockets

Always nice to have an updated thread. Most of those links are from last year or the year before. I'd like to see a permanent forum for vehicle discussions, like was asked in some of the other threads.

Some nice reads though, thanks for the links

SponzyParadox and jeepsrjason like this.
  12. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

No worries!

13. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

I always have a rifle, fighting load out, and a spare magazine or two for my handgun loaded with ball ammunition in my vehicle.

14. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

a) Clothing (usually long pants, an extra shirt or jacket, footgear, and spare gloves and hats for a variety of occasions)

b) Drinking Water

c) Food (this is only kept in the car while travelling, and goes with me to work or home)

d) Sugarless Gum (to keep my teeth clean and breath fresh)

e) Tool kit (various wrenches, screwdrivers, air gauges, tire patch kit, air compressor, etc)

f) Tire Iron, Jack, Spare Tire, Jumper Cables

g) Ear Plugs

h) Spare pens, notebooks, scratch paper

i) Something to read (books, magazines, catalogues, etc)

j) First Aid Kit

Z) Random stuff- I have a pickup so there's often some shovels or other spare tools kicking around in the back bed

This is in addition to my personal EDC gear. Having had my vehicles broken into many times in the past, I've gotten in the habit of only keeping expendable items in them. Anything valuable either goes with me, or stays home.

jeepsrjason likes this.
  15. Medic715

Medic715 Loaded Pockets

Usually in my Jeep I have a fully stocked FAK in the cargo area as well as tow straps, tons of paracord, and jumper cables all hidden in the compartment under my cargo area. Up front in the center console, there is a Blackhawk Tactical BDU organizer with a Surefire 6P Defender flashlight, Leatherman Wave, pens, Sharpie, notepad.

16. Rosynthal
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rosynthal Loaded Pockets

i was actually about to make a thread about this :p luckily i found this one

i have thus far (im in the process of updating and adding things):

Maps of my area
    notepad and pens (for gas mileage calculations)
    duct tape
    deck of cards
    tire iron
    spare doughnut
    jack
    jumper cables
    tire pressure gauge
    knife with glass breaker and seatbelt cutter

Im going to add:
    umbrella
    water/food
    clothes
    backup batteries
    tool kit
    FAK

anything else im overlooking?

17. lildannigurl

lildannigurl Loaded Pockets

I keep my B.O.B in my lil bug....kind of limited for supplies at the moment but I am adding a little more to it every week.

18. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Things I leave in my car:
    - Umbrella
    - Windbreaker/rain jacket
    - Fleece jacket (can layer under the windbreaker)
    - Work gloves
    - Larger Leatherman tool than I normally carry (Pulse, discontinued, has locking blades/tools)
    - Medium-sized folding knife, (Kershaw Skyline)
    - 100ft paracord
    - Jack
    - Tire tool
    - Wheel chocks
    - Jumper cables

I used to carry more of a roadside emergency kit but over time I have never re-created it for my current car. Stuff like a can of oil, brake fluid, spare bulbs, flashlight, bottled water, rags, regular tool kit with wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. I really should put together a new one.

19. amper

amper Loaded Pockets

notepad and pen
    Maps
    umbrella
    work gloves
    cheap flashlight
    bic lighter