1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hospital Bag

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by thegrouch314, Apr 13, 2018.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I suppose technically this isn't EDC but it is always either by my bed or in my car.

I have a lot of health problems and sometimes I have to go in urgently and don't have time to pack so this bag is always nearby. It has everything I need to see me through a couple of days in hospital. If I'm in longer than that, I'll send a family member to pick things up.

It's in a sling bag that I was given for free.

[​IMG]

I have one pair of PJ's (yes, I have Iron Man PJ's. Yes I'm an adult.)

[​IMG]

One change of clothes for when they finally let me out
    [​IMG]

5 days meds, in original packaging. Included in there is a recent prescription, a breakdown of what I take and when, all my various hospital numbers and my NHS number.
    [​IMG]

Basic hygiene kit. Even if I can't shower, I can do a bits and pits and feel a little better.
    [​IMG]

A multitude of snacks, condiments and coffee.
    [​IMG]

A bunch of miscellaneous items. The headphones, notebook and charger are fairly self-explanatory I think. I have £20 total, 15 in cash and the other 5 in change for coffee, parking, stuff like that. The FAK is because I don't want to bother a nurse for a plaster and I have allergies to some tapes and dressings. This way I can provide my own. They don't always let me but I try. I have a scar on my side from a reaction to a dressing that's worse that the surgical scar it was covering.
    [​IMG]

I'm just curious as to if any of you have a similar set-up and what you have in yours?

2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I'm fortunate that I don't have a need for a hospital-specific bag, but this is a great idea. It is worth it just to have the meds (or at least a list of meds), important numbers, and any required ID's/insurance info. Having pj's and a change of clothes is nice too. It is stressful enough being admitted to the hospital, much less having to worry about what you have, or don't have, with you.

Hopefully others in a similar situation as yours will be able to model something like this for their own needs. Excellent thread - thanks for posting!

3. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

As a US citizen, I am intrigued you are allowed to bring in your own prescription medications. US hospitals restrict medications to those prescribed by the admitting physician. This happened to my wife when she was in the hospital for 2+ weeks.

4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I don’t have a hospital bag per se, but for several years I have had a ready backpack that I keep near my door. It has toiletries (to include medicines), pajamas, underclothes, 1-2 shirts, snacks, cash, credit card, and some other basics. It is meant for if an emergency or something came up and I needed to leave quickly then I could grab and go without too much thinking or time. Since getting married, it is bigger and has stuff for my wife, me and the dog.

It came in handy a couple of times when there was a family emergency and all I could think about was leaving as quick as possible.

5. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

My hospital bag has turned into my edc bag. It's with me or in the truck where ever I go.

Since they cut on me last I'm not on any prescriptions for now. I do carry a change of clothes, PJs (mine are the original star wars), some snacks, 10 foot charging cables, power bricks, wall wart, condiments, also a basic hygiene kit. Got it all thrown into an older SOG bag that has been holding up really well.

In the last 5 years I've been overnight 5 times and cut on 3 so I understand. I'm US and every time they admitted me in the past I was still on meds they wanted a list what I was taking, what doctor prescribed them, and never said anything else about it. OTC stuff they didn't allow in, I been on a dr "prescribed" daily doses of OTC Imodium since they removed my colon. I did run out of one script and they were kind enough to overcharge the crap out of me during my 2nd surgery. After that on planned stays I made darn good and sure I had at least a week more than I needed.

6. thegrouch314

That's interesting. Here they ask you to bring in at least 3 days of your own meds

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@neo71665: 'wall wart'?

My family have a history of colon cancer, so seeing your posts is very informative for me. So far I'm blessed to be free of any issues... B"HS!
    (B"HS is a traditional Orthodox Jewish expression. Literally means 'Blessed be the Name', as we never ever actually say the actual Name of G-d).

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

twin63 and neo71665 like this.
  8. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

My best friend in middle school was Jewish, it's been awhile since I've heard any expressions like that. Thanks for the flashback

Mine wasn't cancer but a disease called ulcerative colitis. Basically where your body decides up out of the blue your large intestine is a foreign body and sends your immune system to attack it. Mild cases drugs can settle it down enough to be lived with. Lucky me mine wasn't mild. We fought with every new drug on the market for 5 years before I was forced to take the last option I had. They day of they weighed me and I was 6'2 and 125 lbs. In my mid 20s I was 180 lbs steady.

9. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I'm actually interested in your experience with social medicine. How satisfied are you with treatment? How long do you wait?

10. thegrouch314

I love it. The NHS isn't perfect but if I was in America, I'd be in something like 2 million in debt by now. I got diagnosed with cancer at 18 as a uni student. There's no way I'd have insurance and my family can't pay any of that, no way.

Wait times vary a lot between departments but it's mainly done by priority. If you need to be seen within the week, you will. If you can wait, you will. I had my gallbladder out recently and because that's not a high priority operation, I waited about 6 weeks but when I had cancer, I had surgery 3 days later. I could have been in the next day but I wanted a night at home first because I couldn't wait 6 to 8 weeks.

My main complaint is that there's not much communication between departments. I have blood tests repeated 2 days apart by different departments because they can't get the results from each other. I get one department suggesting a treatment that another department has declared risky and possibly fatal. It's annoying but in the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal.

Right now the :censored: tories are cutting the budget left right and centre meaning wait times, especially in A&E are getting longer and there's a bed shortage. I ended up on an orthopaedics ward with pancreatitis because there was no GI beds. I had to spend the night in minor injuries because there wasn't an inpatient bed available. A friend of mine couldn't leave A&E even when he was well because there wasn't another bed in the hospital. All he needed was observation.

But despite Theresa :censored: May's best efforts, it works. If you need to be seen, you will and everyone gets treatment, whoever they are.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  11. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reply. I'm a mental health clinician here in the US. One more question if I may, does every UK citizen get the same tier of treatment?

12. thegrouch314

Through the NHS, yes. Every citizen gets the exact same treatment in the exact same hospitals on the exact same wards.

There is private treatment and medical insurance available which means that you get seen faster but you have to pay for it and you still have to pay the National Insurance that pays for the NHS. Some people get it through work and you do get seen much quicker but it's the same standard of care. My mum went private through her job to get physio on her foot. IMO, it's only worth going private for non-emergency stuff or cosmetic surgery. If it's an emergency, you'll get seen just as fast through the NHS