1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hooks 'n' carabiners?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by tbzbbt, Mar 7, 2019.

1. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

I've can't help but notice the prevalence of carabiners/S-biners, hooks and clips that adorn the external molle of bags and backpacks. I do wonder how much of it is simply ready-for-anything appearance. In a rural setting it allows packs to be kept off the ground away from damp and animals. Some feel the need to carry certified climbing device... My needs are more modest wife just bought me a "hero clip" which is a rotating folding clip. It's a cool looking gadget with just 25kg limit, but I've found it very useful fo hang my R12 or Tumi bag off a bookshelf for easy access.

What do you carry and why?

tbzbbt

2. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

**guilty**

My theory is that it's a conspiracy to drive carabiner sales by programming us to associate a climbing biner with an EDC pack. Furthermore, our [read: my] ocd-level need to color or style coordinate requires us [read: me] to have a dedicated biner per pack.

I will hang my pack in the wild but I have a dutchware gear amsteel/titanium gadgety pack hanging system for that. I'd clip my keys on it but I have a QD key biner already. I'd hang the pack at home but I have an EDC cabinet.... Umm...crap....the carabiner matches the Multicam Vertx Ready pack though.

I rarely use them, in all reality, save for the occasional ball cap attachment. The belt clip on my drill came off somehow so I did use one of my petzls and a ziptie to solve that problem.

Just another part of the EDC puzzl i suppose. Hey, I'm obviously on board.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That Movie Guy likes this.
  3. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I keep one on my keychain and also one inside my backpack. They're fairly cheap online.
    They're good for not losing your keys.
    [​IMG]

Also I use a couple for my dogs leash, I use cables since they chew through fiber leashes, and the carabiner is a good way to hook them to a handle.
    Also what I use to secure them in the back of my jeep.
    [​IMG]

4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I have a permanent EDC biner riding on belt+belt loop at 9 o'clock - that's were I hang my retractable dog leash from so I can walk my dog hands-free. Also hang my gloves and hat from it, stuff I'm planning to buy in stores, and sometimes a water bottle. I actually just upgraded to the BD Positron Screwgate locking carabiner - makes a viable set of TSA legal 'brass knuckles,' and with my bombproof belt, I can actually ascend, belay, or rappel in a pinch (although someone needs to supply a main rope). Over the top? yeah, maybe, but I used to rock climb; work on 102nd floor of the WTC (RIP 9-11); and as a lifelong downhill skier, been stuck on plenty of broken down chairlifts freezing my A off contemplating rope rescue. One thing I'm really happy about are the notch-less biners that now mainstream which don't your gear when you slide it off.

Anyways, that's my 'thing' - practical EDC use, but could multitask in a bad situation.

Rfpd29 and demPho like this.
  5. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I just find a carabiner is so useful for the weight. I have my keys on a biner for easy hooking on and off my belt loop and I have another run through the webbing on my EDC pack (5.11 AHP). I mostly use it for running through the handles on grocery bags to be honest, it makes them much easier to carry, as well as the usual hat and water bottle attachment points. I like to keep it on the outside rather than inside the pack for easy one handed access without taking the pack off

6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm another fan of carabiners and S-biners just for the utility of hanging keys on belt loops, hanging odd assorted objects, etc etc. Recently saw a husband and wife with matching day packs (books, laptops, etc) who also used some sort of carabiner/S-hook for hanging said packs on the edge of their table at the coffee shop to help their packs clean and dry...

Someday maybe MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) or similar will have an exhibit dedicated to these humble yet oh so useful devices!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

keycutter likes this.
  7. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Here's a pic of the 'biner I use every work day.

[​IMG]

Tried to get the Omega USA to show up some. I believe it's climbing (or at least load) rated for some strength. All I know is, it's perfect size for my hand, and also to hold all of my work stuff. Tom Bihn medium cafe bag to hold Thermos, Kindle, etc. Small refrigerated stuff bag. And work keys plus gate badge.

8. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

My "adventure bag" (kayaking, lifeguarding, swimming, day trips, etc.), a Rush 24, has a pair of plastic S biners attached to the MOLLE. One is on the right side and keeps my flip flops secure when they are riding in the shock webbing that I have there. The other rides on the front and is used to secure shoes, hats, or bags of wet clothes that are riding in the shock webbing that I have on the front.

My work bag, a Vanquest Javelin 2.0, has a pair of Grimlocs mounted on the shock webbing loops. This allows me to have the shock webbing just on the outer edges when I don't need it, but I can quickly pull it into a double x pattern through the Grimlocs. The Grimlocs are also good for securing my bike helmet or shoes so they don't accidently slide out of the shock webbing.

I have a small, cheap carabiner that holds all my spare keys. It allows me to quickly remove the keys I need for that day's errands and add them to my main key chain. I can also grab it and clip it to various places in/on my pack when I just want to quickly grab all my spare keys just in case.

9. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I always have a cheap dollarstore carabiner on my keys. lets me remove some items faster and I can hang stuff with that easily (flashlight in tent for example), connect stuff, organize stuff. It is just super useful to have. Also makes it more pleasant to carry grocery bags, clip some bags to the backpack or my beltloops..

I found a real climbing carabiner once. I keep this inside my backpack. I used to clip it outside but since it sees use rarely, so inside it went before I might lose it. It is too big for keys, but weighs not much, so it doesn't hurt to have it around just in case. makes a great handle since it is so big.

Moshe ben David likes this.