1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Honest Keychain Tool Question

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by DCBman, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I know G, I have the Keychain of Death, @14 items! 1/4 pound! None really used much, so a SAK and house key w/2 items is all I need. For now..........

2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have a titanium pocket clip which includes an LED light and bottle opener. The titanium key was a recent addition.

I realize there are some on this forum who are opposed to titanium. The ability to carry a money clip with a strong magnet makes titanium a preferred metal to prevent my keychain from attaching to the money clip.

3. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I have a keychain I keep tools on and carry it only when I have a jacket (balances out my phone anyway). On my "real" keychain I carry a car key, key fob, flash drive and SAK. I use all of them every day, multiple times a day (except the SAK which I use about every other day).

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. tbirdowner86

tbirdowner86 Loaded Pockets

as far as keychain tools go, I do find them cool and interesting. ill agree with liken to art. I have a titanium toothpick, and yes I do use it. I think the rest of them is for identification purposes. Excuse me have you seen a set of keys with a doge ram medallion, yellow light stick and a ram keyfob?..... as an example...

Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.
  5. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Still down to only house key, club key, Ti whistle and Fenix 01 ( had to take the Tec Pico off, 1 match power :(

6. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I do not use keychain tools very much at all. I have used my PS4 pliers and small screwdriver enough to justify its carry, but certainly not often. And I have used my TT Pocket Zombie bottle opener feature a few times just for the sake of using it.

I usually carry a dedicated light, so no keychain light anymore. And I don't seem to need to pry things very often when not at home, where I have better tools. Although I do still want a better pry tool "just because".

I carried a Axe shaped pry tool for some months, but never used it once, so it came off.

Tony Sal likes this.
  7. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I know, cool stuff, not needed :(

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I also carry a pocket light (I edc a Microstream); so I also thought about not needing a light on my keychain. Thing is, I have one keyring that just hangs in my pocket with house keys and a few 'toys'/tools. Separate keyring for the car. It quickly became obvious at least to me that having a small light on the car keyring was actually very useful. So I keep a Nitecore Tube on each car keyring. Lightweight; rechargeable; both a 'firefly' mode and a bit brighter and has proved useful on a very regular basis both in parking garages and parking lots at night.

Of the tools on my pocket dangler, the two that get the most use are a NiteIze Doohickey (a bit of package opening and definitely for the cap lifter when I don't have a SAK on me!), and my LM Squirt PS4. I've got a couple of others on there (e.g., a CountyCom micro Widgy pry bar and a small pill safe) that once in a while get used. Not often, but I'm always glad to have them when needed.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I thought hard about backing those TPC clips on KickStarter...

We call those people heretics. Don't talk to them... :p

Seriously, though, I don't think anyone is so much opposed to titanium as they are opposed to the super premium price that titanium gear sometimes fetches. Fortunately, the price of titanium goods are going down. I recently got a KeyBar Ti-Hook for a price less than some equivalent brass hooks.

Moshe ben David, garza and Tony Sal like this.
  10. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I have had a few discussions with a couple of members who viewed steel as a better choice than titanium.

Tony Sal likes this.
  11. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Depends on the use. I own a Titanium Tactile Turn Slider. I bought it because aluminum was too light and stainless steel & brass were too heavy. Titanium was the Goldilocks weight. I own both a Thorfire TS07 and Lumintop Ti Tool AAA. The Thorfire is my favorite due in part to the UI. I would have bought the aluminum Tool AAA if it had the same feature set as the Ti version, but it didn't, so I dropped the extra coin to get the tail stand capability. Everything is an independent decision in my case, depending on its use.

12. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

That’s a good summary of my opinion. I prefer titanium for front pocket carry because I don’t like the sound of steel clinking and I carry a magnetic money clip.

Mumbojumboo and Tony Sal like this.
  13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That’s true of all metals. Aluminum, brass, steel, and titanium all have their respective places.

To my surprise, I found myself really liking the UI of my Lumintop Tool Ti. On paper, it seems clunky. In real-world use, I found it downright intuitive.

garza and Tony Sal like this.
  14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

I like that the Tool Ti comes on in medium. I dislike having to double click to change modes. My Thorfire goes L-M-H, which is ok when you're in Studio Movie Grill trying to read a menu without annoying anyone. The TS07 advances modes with a half-press. Also, I've had the Tool Ti accidentally activate twice while in my jeans pocket, mostly depleting a lithium AAA. The clicky on the Tool Ti is just a touch too easy, I think. I am also leery of the switch on them. It's different from the aluminum model..the Ti model has an electronic switch that has to power itself off the main battery (It has a rechargeable battery or tiny capacitor inside the switch mechanism). They say if you find something you like you should buy more of them because they're going to quit making them. That's true of the Thorfire TS07. I wish I had bought spares. I still have my original first version Maratac Stainless AAA, too, but it's retired--like me...:unsure:

garza and Tony Sal like this.
  15. sierra11b
    • +1 Supporter

sierra11b Loaded Pockets

We like shiny things here, great craftsmanship, thoughtful design, mechanical doohickeys.

My one Atwood mostly for opening boxes and lifting beer caps. I have yet to use the wrench portion of the tool. My Ben Tendick tool gets more purposeful use as it's pretty much just a cap lifter with mini pry and weighs about half the weight of the Atwood mini-pry.

It really is a novelty much like expensive watches. In fact, luxury watch companies refer to their latest offerings as "novelties"

Wearing an Omega Planet Ocean with a retail of $6.5K as I type and have another $20k (retail) of watches in tow I rotate. They all tell the time as well as <$300 watch (which I also covet), but you can take it one step further... It tells time as well as the $20 timex, the nearest wall clock, or the iPhone.

The nearest table edge or kitchen drawer cap lifter could pop my beer cap but it's also about the story involved with the tool. I grew up poor and didn't inherit any heirlooms with a story, so perhaps it's a part of me overcompensating?

I have a 14' aluminum fishing boat and my cousin thinks I'm nuts for my EDC and watches. He has a 21' ski boat, a set of jet skis, cooking equipment he hardly uses, and all the latest and greatest electronics the day they're released. I don't... But he's as sick as I am. He just hasn't admitted it. Yet.

It's really that simple (or complicated?). But it's been written into my DNA since I first took apart my first broken fishing reel at age 10. I enjoy it.

chaosmagnet and Moshe ben David like this.
  16. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Enjoy S11b and never apologize!
    Saluting thst Ranger tab...

chaosmagnet likes this.
  17. sierra11b
    • +1 Supporter

sierra11b Loaded Pockets

Hey, brother. Overstuffed sausage these days. Following you as well now. Always enjoy your posts and commitment.

Tony Sal likes this.