1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Honest Keychain Tool Question

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by DCBman, Aug 16, 2016.

1. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

That looks to be a better size than the prybaby's. It's hard to determine the size of these from pictures with no reference or context. I guess everyone in the Atwood thread knows all of the sizes by heart.
    I think I want one about the size of a Bic lighter. The roid models appear to be of similar size, at least big enough to hold onto.
    It will likely never get used, as described in this thread, but I may try to pick one up.

Tony Sal and Mumbojumboo like this.
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tony Sal, jcombs and Nenavist like this.
  3. mdnitedrftr

mdnitedrftr Loaded Pockets

The only "tool" I carry on my keychain is a 6' tape measure. Now that it's on there, I don't know how I got along without it. I use it mostly for work to measure openings, pipes, clearances, etc....

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. froldt

froldt Loaded Pockets

I carry a P-38 on my keyring. It works as a screwdriver (flat and the corner for phillips), box opener, nail cleaner, mini-pry bar, etc. Not to mention it was Dad's from back in 'Nam and was handed down when I headed off to Basic. Anything bigger than that and I haven't found the need for it often enough to carry. But it does depend on what type of daily situations you find yourself in.

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

If that works, then great. Tell your Dad thank you for his service to our country.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Tony Sal and bryan123 like this.
  6. 62Tele

62Tele Loaded Pockets

After trying a bunch of stuff (Atwoods, various Vic's, Micras, expensive lights etc), what's lasted on my keys has been a Brewster (bought when it was still PockettoolX) and a little Photon light. I actually use the Brewster all the time to open boxes, pry small stuff etc., and only rarely gets used as a bottle opener. The Photon is easily my most used light since it's small, and always there. On days off, I add a small Benchmade and these cover most of my needs around town.

Tony Sal likes this.
  7. lucasgnick

lucasgnick Empty Pockets

I got a doohikey and Vic classic I use those at work if I forget my box cutter and a maglight solitare led they work good for me

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Tony Sal and fourSAK like this.
  8. HELiTACK

HELiTACK Empty Pockets

I have a black diamond neutrino carabiner on my keyring, not exactly a tool but it lets me hang them pretty much anywhere, and I can clip them to various packs or my climbing harness so I don't lose them. You can also use it as a bottle opener with some practice.

I also have a Phillips screwdriver that I took off of one of those cheap multitools that you seem to acquire. When you need a Phillips really quick it's good to have.

I've carried a homemade prybar for a while when I needed one, as well as a small SAK at times. It changes based on what I'm doing, but I don't need much now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  9. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I could try to post my Keychain from Hell but I need help lifting it....

10. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Have one too, salute to you and dad!

chaosmagnet and That Movie Guy like this.
  11. Cannonball

Cannonball Loaded Pockets

On my keys I have a Gerber Shard that gets used a lot, and a Streamlight Nano that hardly ever gets used but I like knowing its there....

Tony Sal likes this.
  12. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

See the TEC Pico ad here.
    Great company , high quality but a not as bright as a match! :(

13. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Salute brother froldt, which branch?

14. Begungrain7

Begungrain7 Loaded Pockets

The only keychain tool i carry anymore is the xikar cigar cutter multitool. Everything else is taken care of with a multitool in the pocket

Tony Sal and Moshe ben David like this.
  15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yep. I carry a keychain cigar punch...fits most cigars & for the rest, I put the Swiza to work.

Tony Sal and Moshe ben David like this.
  16. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

The only tool that gets any regular use is my Swisstech 4 in 1. The smaller screwdrivers come in handy often. The larger flathead has doubled as a prybar.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

MKLight and Tony Sal like this.
  17. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Fair question. I used to keep the Gerber Shard on my keychain and use the pry bar several times and the bottle opener for just that. But eventually came to accept I just don't need it and tossed it. Keychain is much lighter now and I like it.

18. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Besides house key and club key, now only the Tec Pico light and the NC ti Whistle....

#78 Tony Sal, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  19. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Finger nail clippers, dermasafe blade and a titanium key/pry bar/screwdriver

Occasionally a Vic Classic or similar Wenger.

Last edited by garza, Jun 16, 2018
    #79 garza, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Tony Sal likes this.
  20. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

Since there are recent replies, I'll throw in my two cents. Upfront, my EDC is fairly minimal, generally consisting of my wallet, keys, phone, with a SAK Classic on the keyring, and a safety pin in the wallet. Working in an office, in a manufacturing company, I don't use a lot of stuff. My computer, pens and a notepad, other office supplies, those all are used on a regular basis. But, the stuff on my keyring? The Classic is typically all the knife I bring in. Sometimes I'll get a wild hair a put a P38 on my keychain, too, but usually remove it when a few weeks have gone by, and it hasn't done anything.

I am of a mixed mind when it comes to keychain stuff, I guess. On one hand, it's uncomfortable in the pocket, or inaccessible when in the drawer of my desk. On the other, I like small, functional stuff. Most one piece tools I see are toys, and I've yet to see a really good 2D phillips tool that catches my interest.

In the past, I've had stuff that actually has stuck around for a while. The Doohickey is my favorite bottle opener, by far. It was removed because I almost never open bottles, and my Classic can handle any prying I might use the Doohickey for. I like the form factor of the little Photons, but I don't like them in use. I occasionally have Fenix E01 on there, but it's usually in a pocket. And, the Classic. If only the blade opened away from the keyring!

Stuff that I've attached, but found too cumbersome to use, or too uncomfortable to carry:
    • Pill fob was great in theory, but the one I had unscrewed too easily, and ultimately went missing after a few months.
    • Pen - I had the fisher trekker pen. Attached by a keyring in the cap. Would come loose quickly. Attachment site broke. Tried shoring up with duct tape and o rings and key rings, but was never the same. Took it off because of this, and it was too big for the keyring. Figured a pen is just about always available.
    • P-38 - Never used, really. Managed to poke the space between my fingernail a tad too often when retrieving.
    • 4 way screwdriver. The Sears variety. Terrible on keychain, wonderful in wallet. Sadly, never used.
    • Leatherman tools - too heavy for me on a keyring. Much better in pocket. Still can't bring myself to like the Micra and Style CS scissors, but I love the tools overall. Style PS might be the exception.
    • 3' stanley tape measure. Surprisingly useful, but on the bulky side. Normal tape measure kept in car, now.

I'm sure there are others. I know there are others, because I've had jobs where I have to pass in and out through a metal detector, and the fewer things I had the better. There was about 3 years where I seriously looked at keychain only carry stuff because of that job. There's very few things for me that pass the cut. Things have to be small and light, no corners or edges, and ultimately useful.

MKLight, Moshe ben David and Tony Sal like this.