1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Honest Keychain Tool Question

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by DCBman, Aug 16, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

"Two is one and one is none " especially with regard to flashlights and knives/cutting tools. My carry today at work (medical clinic) is a SAK Cadet and Fenix E05 sharing the same P7 suspension clip in my RFP and my keychain/ keys in my LFP with a Classic SD and Nitecore Tube.

On the weekends my keychain usually stays the same but my RFP sports my Delica.

Tony Sal likes this.
  2. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

I regularly re-evaluate my EDC items including pocket items, EDC bag, etc. If an item hasn't been used regularly and recently, it doesn't make the cut. I'm a strong believer in the "minimalist"/Honest EDC approach after years of bulging pockets and carrying around the kitchen sink in my EDC bag. My Ti Key Smart has 3 real keys and a Ti MyKee. I can attach a Ti MecArmy IllumineX-1 and stainless Picopen. A small multitool goes in my EDC bag or OscarDelta Stealth Snatch Bag, and larger multitool in my GHB.

I don't get keychains with so much redundant stuff hanging off that rarely if ever gets used and can't fit into a front jeans pocket.

[​IMG]

Nick4305, Z2KCT and Moshe ben David like this.
  3. Dydimus

Dydimus Empty Pockets

Much of the things I edc are not meant to be used on a daily basis, especially small sized keychain tools. Quite the contrary, if I had to use those small tools regularly I’d probably be carrying full sized ones already.

Can you imagine yourself using the Leatherman Squirt pliers all the time?

Last edited by Dydimus, Apr 6, 2017
    #43 Dydimus, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    Moshe ben David and garza like this.
  4. Cardboard_Robot

Cardboard_Robot Empty Pockets

I carry a Doohikey on my keyring and it has come in handy plenty of times. I've never used it as a pry because of it's size, but I've used it as a screwdriver, a scraper, a box opener, and a bottle opener. It pops tape on boxes easily so I don't have to get my knife blade gunked up. I like how it clips on and off easily and because it's inexpensive and easily replaceable I don't mind beating it up a little and am not afraid of losing it.

5. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I have a very basic keychain (keys, Spyderco Bug, Streetlight Nano and a pill fob/money container with a spare banknote), so I rarely make that much use of it - which is exactly as intended as 99% of the time I will have more practical alternatives for those same items, so this is only really aiming to give me something if I forget/lose those when out and about.

For that it does fairly well - small, but moderately practical options for most small jobs, and about as lightweight and compact as I can get it.

I have owned and carried a couple of Atwoods, and a ew more budget alternatives like the Doohickey, but tbh I never really found them particularly useful for me - I appreciate that some people seem absolutely dependant on them, but I never really felt I had much of a need when I cried them, so have removed them all (and sold the few that had any value)...

6. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

None taken buddy, I have one of EVERYTHING, used a SAK knife once, used a flashlight once- either I live a sheltered life or have a low sales resistance to EDC addiction !? Lol

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. Maave

Maave Loaded Pockets

I use my a keychain screwdriver as a tiny pry tool for work. Mostly to hit the release tabs on cables and to pry lids. Nothing crazy. If it wasn't for work I wouldn't bother carrying it. Wish my pocket knife had a little pry tip on the back, that would do the trick.

Tony Sal likes this.
  8. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

You might try the key from Nite Eyz, heavy duty! Bottle opener, screw driver -pry end, little sharp edge ... I dont have the skull version, im old......

9. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

The original item was an Indiegogo campaign. Then Nite Ize purchased items for resale. Check Amazon and eBay for people who made bulk purchases who are now unloading the item at a discount.

Tony Sal likes this.
  10. Z2KCT

Z2KCT Loaded Pockets

How do you like the MyKee? I was interested in purchasing one but there is not a lot of reviews on them.

Tony Sal likes this.
  11. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

It's unobtrusive in the Key|Smart. Main uses are to open packages (cut packing tape) and open bottles with the bottle opener, so it's convenient for those purposes. The edge is dull enough that you won't accidentally cut yourself with it but sharp enough to pierce packing tape.

Tony Sal likes this.
  12. pointoflight

pointoflight Loaded Pockets

After several years I finally came to a configuration on my keychain that worked for me: a single aaa flashlight and a victorinox manager. Use them both fairly frequently. It's all I need. Simple and covers most everything that comes up. I don't ever have the need to "pry" anything so I don't have a prying type tool on my keychain.

Nenavist, Tony Sal and ballistic like this.
  13. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know the model of the Atwood tool in this pic? Thanks in advance.

Tony Sal likes this.
  14. Dragon1976

Dragon1976 Loaded Pockets

Hy jcombs, I think it is a Atwood Pest.
    To all, have a nice sunday!

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Nenavist and jcombs like this.
  15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I always figure that the vast majority of the time, if I need to pry at something small then I can use the flat headed screwdriver on the SAK, and if it is something that needs something stronger, then I should be reaching for something dedicated and better suited to the task - not a small keychain tool.

jcombs likes this.
  16. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

The majority of them are just gimmicky/nice gadgets to have in my opinion, I do use the knife on mine in public/sensitive areas instead of reaching for my 3" non locking pocket knife, it's just not worth the potential hassle despite that knife being UK legal in the first place.

17. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

...and there is an Atwood thread here... ..someplace....

jcombs likes this.
  18. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I used to carry all sorts of crap on my keys. I had a SAK, light, pill fob, bottle opener and various decorative keychain until I realised that I just didn't use them. The tools were too small to be practical and didn't offer the functionality I wanted.

These days I carry a either a Vic spartan or a LM juice, depending on what I'm doing and a Fenix LD09 loose is my pocket and I just have keys on my keychain.
    I recently bought my first car and even the addition of those keys feels strange. I used to have two keys and an access card.

ballistic likes this.
  19. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ti Pest. Got lucky from planet pocket tool. That was my first!!

Nenavist, ballistic and jcombs like this.
  20. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

It all begins with one ;)...

Nenavist and jcombs like this.