1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Honest Keychain Tool Question

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by DCBman, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

That's too bad, my wife has the Dime, and I find the scissors are probably the best small, folding scissors I have used. File isn't very useful. Pliers are ok, really almost like large tweezers.

earbear likes this.
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I looked at the Dime. Briefly. Very briefly. I keep a LM Squirt PS4 on my pocket dangler. To each his own!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

earbear likes this.
  3. earbear

earbear Loaded Pockets

Maybe it's a quality control thing. The dime has been underwhelming though sinds the moment i took it out of the box. Still got a ton of utility out of it though. It is just that i really mis a file and a working wirecutter, otherwise i would stick to the dime until it breaks.

I guess this was one of those, going cheap turned out to be more expensive kinda things. Unfortunatly there are no shops here where i can test out the product, i get it all from the internet. Especially the dime was hard to find, had to get it from the german amazon (NL doesn't have full amazon yet, only ebooks).

4. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I carried a Dime daily for a month...that was enough. The pliers were good, but the wire cutters wouldn't cut anything - not sharp enough. The file was a horribly short and unusable. The screwdrivers worked well, as did the scissors. I don't drink a lot of bottled beverages, but the bottle opener seemed to work well enough when I lent it to friends. What impressed me the most was the knife and package opener; both are very usable and unique, but not gimmicky at all. I retired it from daily carry, but not to worry, it has been repurposed as my go-to fishing kit tool! It lives on a retractable leash and is GREAT for all those little Kobe that come up when fishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warsong and Flashman like this.
  5. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

It would make an excellent fishing tool!

6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

My knives don't get used that much so the pry bar is probably not necessary but.... think of it as a metal thumb nail. I think AG Russell said that.

[​IMG]mumbo dumpo 4_3_16 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Warsong, Water-Rat and O_G like this.
  7. ric1975

ric1975 Empty Pockets

Hello!

I have a utilikey on my keys.
    I use it not often (less then once in 2 month).

I also carry a knife and use it seldom.

In holiday I carry a vict. Rambler which get used more.

For me a prybar looks cool but will never be used therefore i do not carry it.

Bye ric

Warsong and TV09 like this.
  8. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

I don't carry much on my keychain, three keys, fob for gym access, and a replica dog tag are mainstays. The few things I've found comfortable enough, meaning, slim, short and light enough to carry, don't number many. We're talking the Doohickey, Classic, Sliver grippers, Christy knife, etc. And that's only one at a time. FWIW, it's currently the Classic. Last week was the Christy.

That said, the other reason I don't really put stuff on my keychain is because I tend not to use it, for a few different reasons. Weight has been mentioned. The other is usefulness. I don't use small prybars, tweezers, small pliers, and many other things on a regular basis, so I just don't carry them. Additionally, my keys go straight into my desk when I get to work, along with my sun glasses, and ear buds. My phone goes on the charger. This stuff doesn't come with me when I go to meetings, or out to the shop floor, or other departments. Thus, not real motivated to load my keys up with stuff I won't or will seldom use.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Warsong likes this.
  9. 313

313 Uber Prepared

I had a Leatherman Brewzer on my keychain for a while just because I thought it would see some serious use. Had little to none weekly use for it, but still like having it around as I'm sure there's a stuck office window waiting for the day I leave it at home. It currently lives is my wallet's otherwise empty coin pouch, as it balances and squares out the whole wallet out quite nicely. But for the keychain, nah.

TV09 likes this.
  10. Nenavist

Nenavist Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Traveling light in shorts I like to use this tool chain setup instead of my larger tool set I keep in my Skinth P3. I will also carry a PM2 or Mini Grip with the tool chain.

pks, Gamble, Warsong and 3 others like this.
  11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I eliminated ALL of my keychain "tools" (literally dicarded some of them) years ago because I was not using any of them.

ballistic likes this.
  12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Every so often the Style PS saves the day. Recent saves for me include two different zipper repairs for fellow air travelers, a temporary fix for my beard trimmer, a two-pliers job with rack-fasteners in a datacenter, and innumerable beer bottles.

Water-Rat likes this.
  13. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I am half-buried in keychain tools but I try to keep the ones in use to a minimum. Organisation is modular: car-only stuff on one ring, not-OK to fly on another.
    1. House keys: "MyKee" multi-tool, KeySmart's own bottle opener and a small light = used occasionally, especially MyKee for opening packaging
    2. Car keys: Nitecore USB rechargeable light and a ResQMe glass breaker/seatbelt cutter = not used yet (phew!)
    3. Not safe to fly: SAK Signature model = I use something on here at least once a week, all of them at some point
    4. Occasional carry: Cogent mini pry-bar, bought to get free postage = never used but it feels lovely, will probably mount on #3
    [​IMG]

Warsong, jag-engr and chaosmagnet like this.
  14. jasmanian-devil

jasmanian-devil Empty Pockets

Keychain button light (Inova CB) gets frequent use, more so during fall/winter, when it's dark by 5pm...

Hubby's Gerber Shard got a lot of mileage as a bottle opener during the BBQ season, lol. I don't know that he'd carry a multi-tool otherwise, but if you're going to have a keychain bottle opener, why not have something that can serve more than one purpose?

313 and Water-Rat like this.
  15. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

@Nenavist -- who makes those clips and connector? I am only familiar with the tec accessories ones and these look interesting!
    Thx,
    P.K.

16. cricketofdeth

cricketofdeth Empty Pockets

Before I went with the KeyBar, I had a button light, and TT Chopper on my keychain.
    Both saw regular use.
    The Chopper scraped and dug anything I didn't want to use my fingers for, and is a boss at pulling staples.
    Button light for normal lighting things.

Now I just carry an actual flashlight, use the flathead screwdriver on my SAK Cadet.
    The keychain tools were very convenient, but not overly missed.

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I carried a few for a short time and I found that they were just "trinkets" as we called them during my youth in the 1950s. I eliminated ALL of them because each of them had limited functionality because they were so small. I found greater utility in the Wenger Evowood S557 SAK because that model had all the tools that I would ordinarily and routinely use combined in ONE package.

ballistic likes this.
  18. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I use my TT Chopper almost daily. I use the box opener for cutting open lots of things. It works real well at opening the annoying plastic packages that a lot of things come in. The bottle opener also gets used sometimes when I'm out different places.

#38 SOS24, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  19. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

20. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I work from home alot - I have a wave on my desk but the amazing how much I use my mini champ, and a AAA olight (which is paired to it)is more than enough light should I need it.

The minichamp is always there so can get into boxes or scribble something, adjust the flame on a lighter or (as happened today) extract something gumming up my keyboard.