1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Honest Keychain Tool Question

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by DCBman, Aug 16, 2016.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I have a sincere question related to keychain tools...

I've carried a couple of various tools on my keychains for years. One is a NiteIze Doohickey and the other is a generic small button shaped LED light. I carry a fairly normal compliment of EDC stuff in my pockets (small SAK, Fenix light, etc.). I'm pretty sure I could count on one hand the number of times I've ever needed to actually "use" a keychain tool. In fact, one time I made a point out of opening a box with my Doohickey just so I could say I've used it.

I see all these exotic Atwood tools and the like here, all manner of mini-pry bars and so forth. I'm really wondering how much these get used in real world practice. Please don't get me wrong, I think they look really cool and are interesting in their form (almost like art in some respects), but what about actual "utility"? So, to my question...

Do you actually "use" your keychain tool on a frequent basis, or is it really more of a novelty?

Thanks (and I mean no disrespect by my question).

Tony Sal, Warsong, TV09 and 2 others like this.
  2. Joshetect

Joshetect Loaded Pockets

I think it depends on what you do on a daily basis and catering your EDC to that.

also.

Better to have it and never use it, then to need it and not have it

For me I use most everything I carry at least once a week. If it goes some time and I find its just weighing me down, out it goes

Warsong, DCBman, TV09 and 2 others like this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have used my Doohickey fairly often to open bottles of 'adult beverages'; I've also used the pry edge on occasion to help open a taped box. I don't carry the same light you do (NiteCore Tube in my case), but having it with the keys has been helpful. Except of course when I drop the keychain :eek: !

For actual prying though, I have one of the little Ti pry bars from CountyCom on my tool dangler. Also a LM Squirt PS4. I've used both; not on a real regular basis but when I needed something it was nice to have them right there.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Warsong, dc3 and DCBman like this.
  4. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I normally don't carry anything on my key ring other than keys. Recently I added a Victorinox Alox Mini-Champ to the key ring. It gets occasional use.

5. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I have a Leatherman Style PS and that gets used fairly often. Not every day, but certainly often enough to keep around. I also have a Griffin Pocket Tool, which is used less often but if I need a pry tool or a bottle opener that's my go-to. I also have a GPT Mini but it's used as a dangler rather than a tool.
    I keep this set of keys with me, but sometimes it's in the backpack instead of the pocket. But I'd much rather have them around than not.

Warsong, DCBman and Water-Rat like this.
  6. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

I too have a NiteIze Doohickey, which I use often. The Biner gets used to clip my work keys to personal keys in the morning, and unclipped when I get home. This keeps my keys together during the day, removes bulk from my pocket at night, which I like.

I have also used it as a screwdriver, bottle opener, and surprisingly (to me anyways) as a ruler reasonably often.

I occasionally use the wrench for loosening the screws on the back on a computer case.

It doesn't pry particularly well, and usually use the blade on my MT (kept close by) for opening boxes.

I don't have a keychain flashlight. Maybe someday. I usually have flashlights close by, and use my phone (BLASHPEMY!) as a flashlight if I need a light and I am not super close to one of my flashlights.

Warsong, DCBman and Water-Rat like this.
  7. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

This is a great question in my opinion. There are many answers, I have found.

A few months ago, I found myself changing the configuration of my keychain frequently depending upon what else I was carrying on a given day. If I was carrying my SAK Cadet/ Super Tinker and E05, the SAK Classic and Nitecore Tube were given the day off. If I had my LM PST on my belt, the SAK Classic stayed on my keychain because there was no tool overlap between the two.

I guess I'm still looking for the right balance between redundancy/backups and excess bulk.

Also check out threads I started recently entitled " Keychain tools vs their pocket sized counterparts" on this forum and "Multitool alternative to multiple keychain tools" on the Multitool forum. I was surprised to find that there is a subset of EDCers who just don't like and don't use keychain tools AT ALL. Some of them say that they find larger tools to have superior functionality, and some don't like any excess bulk on their keys. One responder considered keychain tools to be useless "trinkets" and says he gave up on them many years ago.

I'm a keychain tool guy. I like little gadgets. I think there's room for both keychain and larger EDC tools. It depends on what you do and where you do it I guess.

Last edited by bryan123, Aug 17, 2016
    Nenavist and DCBman like this.
  8. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I have a few different "tools" on my keychain, more during the summer because of not needing to be blade free and having less pockets. As far as prytools go, my current prytool on my keys is a CRKT KERT. It gets used a few times each week for breaking tape, turning screws, undoing knots, opening packages, cutting cordage/straps, etc. I have a County Comm widgy bar in my work bag that gets used for bigger pry jobs a couple times a week.

I also have a Style PS on my keys. It's a great little tool. It hasn't been getting too much use over the summer, but during the school year, it handles various tasks during my school job. It's great to have a little pocket multi with pliers but without a knife.

Dan76432, DCBman and dplafoll like this.
  9. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

This. Keychain pliers are super handy; sometimes you just need something extra with which to grab, or maybe you need some extra reach. The Style is a great example. I love mine, worth every penny.

DCBman likes this.
  10. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I try to only carry what I need or have needed in the past. I have an olight on there which I use all of the time and there have been plenty of times in the past when I needed a light...any light and didn't have one. A blade is also very useful and I think it's something everyone can use at some point. I have a Leatherman Brewzer that I have used to pry although rarely, but I moslt use it to open boxes, clean fingernails, tighten or loosen a screw, and a lot more, it's probably the most valuable tool I've ever carried next to my light. I don't carry anything I dont use or don't think I will use. EDC is more than just carrying "cool" tools to me.

Water-Rat, DCBman and sungame like this.
  11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I would say it depends not only on what you do on a daily basis, but on what else you carry on person every day.

If you already carry a pocket or full size multitool, knife and flashlight, the odds are you will not use their keychain sized counterparts all that often. In that case, I guess you could regard them as backups. While I am all for backups in situations where there is a real chance that my life could depend on a certain tool, I really don't go for redundancy in my actual, on person EDC.

If, on the other hand, your keychain tools are all you carry, you probably use them a lot more often.

Personally, I am not a great fan of keychain tools as such. I find most tools labeled "keychain" way to big and bulky to carry on an actual keychain. On the other hand, the tools that are actually small and lightweight enough for keychain carry are mostly too small, flimsy and awkward to be of much use to me, although I admit that they are usually better than nothing at all.

For the above reasons, the only tool I actually carry on my key ring is a Fenix E01. This is actually small enough for key chain carry, yet still bright enough for most everyday tasks, and it runs forever and a half on an AAA battery. Since it is the only flashlight I carry on person on a daily basis, it does see use at least every other day - more often in the winter season.

I also own and use a Leatherman Style CS. I find it way too big to carry on my key ring, but I still carry it on occasion. It is a quite capable little tool, and small and innocent enough to carry on many occasions where even as "large" a knife as a standard SAK would be frowned upon. On these occasions, I do not carry other bladed tools, so I use it for everything from opening packaging and drinks to (un)screwing screws, and removing loose threads from clothing.

Dan76432, O_G, Water-Rat and 2 others like this.
  12. Moshe ben David

I am with the school of thought that says there is no one single right answer to all of this. Strangely enough, I find that I often go to the 'keychain tools' a bit more often just because they are more immediately to hand than the larger MT which I keep in my bag. Between the keychain tools and the two blades usually in my other pockets I'm pretty good to go.

OTOH, I also agree with those who point out the keychain tools by definition are just so small that they cannot replace their larger cousins. I'm just fortunate enough I guess that I don't often need a more robust plier or wrench. Which leaves my other tools sort of neglected I suppose.

Hey, if it works for you, it works. At least that's my motto on this subject.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

jaya_man, Water-Rat and DCBman like this.
  13. Fire tripper

Fire tripper Loaded Pockets

I carry a Swiss tech 6-in-1 and I mainly use it for cleaning my fingernails. But it does come in handy everyone in a while for those little recessed screws on electronics.

14. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I carry a pair of Sliver Gripper tweezers and Inchworm and Centipede measuring sticks on my keyring. My Pocket Wrench II travels in my back pocket.

luke270 likes this.
  15. Moshe ben David

In addition to the tools on my Pickpocket dangler, I carry a P-38 can opener and a Sears 4-way flat screwdriver in a leather coin pouch in my RF pocket. Its always with me; they're flat enough to sit well in the pouch. Actually travel better there than on a keychain or dangler.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ran23, bryan123 and dplafoll like this.
  16. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Moshe do you mean the leather pop-open coin pouch? I have the same one and I have a P38 and Sears screwdriver in mine too, along with a Levenger single sheet cutter, safety pin, and Listerene breath strips. And sometimes coins. I call it my EDC coin pouch.

Shabbat Shaolm,

Dov Ben Yitzchak Yosef

17. Moshe ben David

Mine is the type that when you squeeze it, it is like the blades on a camera lens spiraling open. My Dad o.b.m. carried one most of his life; said he'd bought it in France when he was posted there at the tail end of WWII.

You carry a heck of a lot more on your keychain or in this pouch than I do!

Shabbat Shalom!

Moshe ben David

Warsong and bryan123 like this.
  18. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

[quote="Moshe ben David, post: 2581306, member: 68351"

You carry a heck of a lot more on your keychain or in this pouch than I do!

Shabbat Shalom!

Moshe ben David[/quote]

Hmmm... currently on keychain: lanyard, 3 keys, door fob, car fob, Nitecore Tube, SAK Classic, duct tape roll, safety pin. Where can I downsize?

19. earbear

earbear Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

So this is my toolchain, i always have this in my pocket. The ledlight gets used every day. The boker prytool every now and then, scraping, poking, rubbing, digging, extract nails, etc. I don't use it often, but when i do i'm glad i had it with me because otherwise i had to use my folding knife or my fingers.
    The mini pliers are a god send really for me. I use them allot, maybe not daily, but allot. Unfortunatly, the scissors and file on this gerber dime are absolute crap. They simply don't function as such. Also the flat portion on the pliers makes me lose my grip often on tiny stuff. And the wirecutters, barely function. I've ordered the leatherman style PS recently, and if that functions better i'll probably use the multitool everyday. I don't cary on person a full size multitool so this is all i got next to my folding knife if i don't carry my bag. Nowadays i can't imagine being without them really.

Warsong likes this.
  20. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

As a dad of a toddler the screwdriver on the leatherman PS is the perfect size for opening battery doors and general toy assembly. It gets used so much. I am now the go to box opener (with my knife) and assembler (with the style) at all birthdays.