1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Homemade Tritium Key-Fob

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by Dafabricata, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Recently my friend (whom I live with) purchased a mini-lathe from a local consignment shop for $100. We purchased a few extra's (tooling) to allow us to start working with it. Neither of us have ever used a lathe before , but seem to be picking it up slowly.

I wanted to make a tritium pod for my keychain, but decided to start by making one for my friend first. He supplied the four 2 x 10 tritium vials (2 blue and 2 green). This was made over the span of a few days. I worked on it for a little bit each night before going to bed.

Originally I was just going to use a single 2x10 vial but got an idea for a single pod using all 4 vials. The aluminum rod was turned down to the basic shape and then was offset in the 4-jaw chuck to allow the 4 small bore holes for the vials. Next the material in the center was removed to cut into the bore holes for the vials, in turn creating slots. A small ball end mill was used by hand to debur and finish the slots and holes. After the vials are installed, an o-ring is cut and stuffed into the holes to secure them. A slit-ring was added to the op to finish it off.

This was an great project that made me realize just how thought out your work has to be so that it flows in a process with minimal steps and zero back-tracking and one tiny mistake( slightly offset vial hole) . Maybe someday, I'll be able to make stuff like this in titanium...but for now aluminum will have to do.

Hopefully the owner will be able to get it coated. Maybe HA III or DLC. We plan to cover the vials with clear epoxy for protection. Really happy with the way this turned out and I have something pretty cool (IMO) in the works for these 2 large vials that have been laying around...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

Wow! That looks really good. Any plans on making more?

3. gr8tbaldone

gr8tbaldone Loaded Pockets

Excellent work! I want one.

4. Hatethatgiraffe

Hatethatgiraffe Loaded Pockets

That's really accomplished looking :)
    I'd love one! But I do have a bit of a tritium addiction lol

5. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

VERY nice! I really like the design of it, very creative.

6. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

I have no plans to mass produce them, but would be willing to consider making a few for interested members with the understanding that they would not be perfect as they are done freehand, and I'm still very new to the lathe....no promises though.

Just got back in from the garage and found the majority of the materials for the "other tritium projects"
    We are in the process of relocating the lathe to a new STURDY workbench and made many improvements to the surrounding lathe location.

This first fob is going to be hard to part with! Luckily I've had a week to enjoy it!
    I have a few interesting ideas to try out and will update this thread or start a new one if it turns out as I hope.
    I'll keep you guys posted. I have a feeling you tritium freaks are going to like them....:evilgrin:

7. armyof1

armyof1 Empty Pockets

Very nice!

8. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

I would love one of those or close to it.

The only change would be larger tubes to hold the trit in a clear rubber/plastic tube for protection.

I would pay for one, send me a pm if you would be willing to sell one.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

9. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

how much money are we talking

10. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

Nice work. Great design and I bet it is very bright with 4 vials.

11. hazna

hazna Loaded Pockets

Very nice work! I have a penchant for tritium as well. Please let me know if you are planning on making some more of these for sale.

12. attorneyadrian

attorneyadrian Loaded Pockets

Wow, thats awesome. Nice work!

13. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

sweet. i wish i could fine a lathe for $100

14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Nice work! Very creative!

Just a suggestion for protecting the vials... clear heat shrink tubing. It will provide more scratch and impact resistance than epoxy and you've already created a nice "waist" in which it could be set.

15. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

I'd be interested in buying one of these, but I know it'd cost way too much for me.

16. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Just a reminder:

MEMBER RULES- PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

#9 ...Any commerce or invitation for commerce should be contained within the MarketPlace boards. Posts that contain invitations to bid, sales promotions, offer of services, or feelers outside of these locations will be edited or deleted. A link or promotion in your sig line, as long as it meets the current restrictions, is fine. Please see the FAQs for sig line restrictions.

New Rules: Rules for Home Craftsman effective 9-21-2009

Effective September 21, 2009, Manufacturers / Distributors and Craftsman wishing to promote products on EDCForums will be required to hold a Manufacturer's Badge or a Craftsman’s badge in order to market on the forums. Only Badge holders and the staff will be able to start threads in the Manufacturers' or Custom section; any active member will be able to post in those threads. Badge holders will be allowed to initiate sales threads about their products in the proper place in the marketplace. They can, however, answer questions regarding their products in other parts of the forum.

Regards,
    The Moderative Power BSF

17. INKGUY79

INKGUY79 Loaded Pockets

I'm interested!

18. lazybusinessman

lazybusinessman Loaded Pockets

wow that looks awesome!

19. QtrHorse

QtrHorse Loaded Pockets

That has to be the best tritium fob I have ever seen.

I would also like to see the holes slightly larger so you could cover the tritium vials in clear heat shrink or a very thin clear tube for protection.

20. lmorrison17

lmorrison17 Empty Pockets

Is that a 38DD light on your keychain?