1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Homemade Smartphone Case with Tritium / Tripod & Flashlight Mount / Add on Lense

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Dafabricata, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

This was inspired in part by a conversation that I had with my Mother. She told me about a lense kit for the iphone that allows for different options (zoom, fisheye, etc...) I don't own an iphone and don't want one but I do enjoy my Droid X, and got me thinking...
    I salvaged every remaining good part from a telescope that broke during a windstorm and had a collection of small lenses from the spotting scope. After taping one of the lenses to my droid, the macro shots were MUCH better!! When I stacked 2 lenses on top of each other, the zoom action and clarity got even better!..like a microscope!

Originally I had planned to make a slip on aluminum cover with the lense set inside and a 1/4 - 20 threaded hole for a tripod. After several drawings, I decided to just go all out and make an entire case. Theres a thousand high-tech, cool cases for the iphone but nothing cool for the Droid X, and especially nothing with the features I wanted.
    Starting with a plate of 1/2" and 1/4" aluminum, I scribed out the basic dimensions and squared up the 2 blanks that were rough cut on the bandsaw. After everything was square, 4 small holes were drilled and counter sunk in the corners. Tapping the holes allowed me the keep the 2 pieces together in correct placement throughout.

I worked on the milling operations on and off all weekend, going home only to eat, sleep, and shower. This was the first time I had to keep strict tolerances to ensure proper fitment of the phone and all button location holes, speaker and microphone, and power/USB ports.
    Two theaded holes on either side of the case allow for attachment to a tripod and I can now mount my 007T flashlight to the top for camera or video lighting. A green tritium vial was added to the top...just because.

All thats left to do is figure out how to make the thread-on lense for the case. Pretty sure what I have in mind will work, but need to do a bit more refining before moving forward. I've had the mill for about 4 years, but only recently got very interested in machining. In fact it only ran for the first 4 months I owned it before the inverter blew. BTW, it a smaller hobby mill..no CNC.
    The wallets and key fobs have really been my only other projects that I've done on the mill so I'm still a total newb and have a TON to learn. OH! And a ton of tools/tooling to buy.:sigh:

Since I don't have a proper internet connection at home to use with my laptop and camera, I have to use my Droid for camera and internet uploads. Unfortunatly, that also means I can't post a picture of the phone in the case. Maybe I can take a picture of it in the mirror...hmmmm

I'll continue to add pictures as the project progresses. Eventually, I'll either have this anodized or cerakoted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HybridMomentsPass

3. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Looks pretty sweet. What's the weight?

4. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Nice work!!!

5. WWW

WWW Loaded Pockets

You say you're a newb but to me that look like the work of a pro!!! The case mounted on the tripod with the light look SO sick!!! I going crazy with your homemade stuff post's!! Great work man, best wishes and take care!!

6. tattoosteve99
    • In Omnia Paratus

tattoosteve99 EDC Junkie!!!

Ok where can I get one? That's so wow!

7. rockingthe2

rockingthe2 Loaded Pockets

Amazing, but that turbohead 007 intrigues me!

8. Dafabricata

Thanks guys! The more I use the case, the more I like it! Having the 2 threaded holes allows for all sorts of possibilities for add-on accessories and I've got all sorts of stuff in mind. Since the rail on my AR is tapped for the same thread, I could even mount it on the side to video while shooting!:laugh:

Jonb74, not sure of the weight, but its not very heavy. I still have a few final cuts to make that will lighten it up just a little bit more. The bulk of the weight comes from the 6 blocks and the unmilled area under the camera. I left it thick so there is enought "meat" to thread for the add-on macro lense. After that is completed, the surrounding area will then be milled to make it look nice and help reduce weight more. All wall thicknesses are pretty thin, but not too thin.

WWW, Thanks a bunch! Hearing that type of feedback means more than you know!

tattoosteve99, I wish I could offer these for sale, but considering how long it takes to make, either it'd cost a good bit or I'd loose my butt making these. If I had a CNC, things would be MUCH different. If someone was seriousely interested and cost didn't turn them off, I'd consider doing another.

rockingthe2, The 007T was a design I had in my mind for a while, but didn't have a lathe that could cut Ti at the time. I had tranquilitybase over at CPF turn my idea into reality. For me, the 007 now fits in the hand even better than before and the throw from the MCR27 short reflector combined with an XM-L is a vast improvement over the stock McR18 reflector and Seoul LED. Easily one my favorite lights and the one carried most often.

9. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

Wow your work is amazing!

10. Dafabricata

RyanMalpiede, Thank you!

Got busy rearanging the shop and had not spent much time on the phone case. I did finally make the hole in the case for the camera lense today. Still trying to figure out how exactly I want to seat the macro lense. Before moving the shop around, I did start on a "steady-grip" for the phone to mount in. It allows the case to be sucured in place while using both hands to get an extra sturdy grip for better pictures and video. The Droix X2 doesn't have a physical button for the camera' but rather a button you press on screen which causes movement everytime. The steady grip allows you to reach out with your thumb and gently press the screen. It also it threaded for 1/4 - 20 for tripod mounting and flashlight mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CAMERA likes this.