1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Home/Outdoor Defense Gun

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by WildEMT, Aug 31, 2008.

1. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

I'm not talking about the guy like you and me who shoots every other day, im talking about the mother of the guy like you and me or the random girlfriend, etc... who may at one time or another have to use the firearm to defend themselves, or you or me while were laying knocked out on the bathroom floor because someone got the drop on us....

but hey,if we press pause and give them two hours of training and having they have the training and fortitude not to limp wrist it under pressure...hey your right.

we can also take into fact that statistically 1-4 rounds are fired per incident and they are at a range of less than 3 feet.

if were talking tactics and quoting people like massad, then perhaps look at elmer keith for the wheelgun side as well?

p.s.- to clarify, im a auto guy as is apparent by my name, however we all must face the cold hard facts that not everyone is a gun person, and auto's no matter how reliable we like to think they are, are case by case, more prone to failure when compared with a wheelgun.

2. R.Neville

R.Neville Loaded Pockets

Modern automatics beat revolvers in terms of durability under severe conditions. Moreover in a Glock a jam can be cleared
    in seconds whereas in a revolver it may have to go to the gunsmith. If we were preparing for statistics we wouldn't own guns.
    Imagine two moving attackers- do you take 6 or 13 shots? And outdoors, where police is far away, the possibility of bad humans
    isn't really reduced.

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

While it can happen in more than 30 years of shooting revolvers I have yet to have one not work. I have not seen one that belongs to someone else fail either. I do know that when you do have a failure it is catastrophic. I do know that revolvers have failed and failed badly, I have just not seen it. I have seen many autoloaders fail to feed.

I will never say a revolver is better than an autoloader for most things but I will also never say that the autoloader is better for everything.

If you were to ask me to get a single hit as quickly as possible from a holster I will pick the revolver every time. If you ask me to point shoot a fairly close target very quickly I will pick a revolver every time. If you ask me to shoot silhouette with a handgun I am using a single shot unless you require a repeater. If a repeater is required I will go with a revolver. If I will be at contact distance with the target I want a revolver. If I am shooting something that is big and bites I want a revolver. If I have to shoot from inside of a jacket pocket or a sleeping bag it will be a revolver.

If I could only carry one handgun and I was in a war zone it would be an autoloader no doubt. If you told me I had to live off of the land and could only have one gun and it was a handgun it would be a revolver.

Probably all the rest of the time it will be an automatic. For most things I will use an autoloader but not for everything. I for the life of cannot today imagine not having both revolvers and automatics. They are different animals. There is a large overlap in what they do and are for but they both have major strengths and weaknesses. There really are niches that goes both ways where one is superior to the other.

4. vhend

vhend Empty Pockets

Walther PPS .40 gets my vote. VERY slim and easy to carry.

5. Brother wolf

Brother wolf Empty Pockets

Hard to go wrong with a stainless Ruger GP-100 .357 magnum. I love mine.

6. LauraQ

LauraQ Loaded Pockets

Glock 19.

7. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I added a Glock Tactical Light/Laser 21 to my Glock 23. Makes the need for sighting accurately a non issue when you are jolted awake, confused, disorientated, in the middle of the night. Just put the red dot on the shadow that shouldn't be there and pull. Almost as good as a shotgun.

Parawolfe

8. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

The best gun is one that you can shoot accurately. It's not as easy as you might think. I've said this before in other threads but I'll repeat it. If you are new at this, start with a .22 and a thousand rounds of ammunition, get some instruction, and learn to shoot.

Trying to learn with a center fire gun, let alone some of the hand cannons that people are recommending here, is not a good idea. If you really want to own only one gun, buy a good used Ruger .22 target pistol, learn to shoot it, then sell it and buy your center fire gun. Or if you just have to have a CF, start with a heavy 9mm or some other mouse gun with inexpensive ammunition and moderate recoil. Get instruction and practice, practice, practice.

If you don't believe me that it is not easy, go to a range and watch the shooters. Typically half of them could do more damage to the center of the target by throwing the gun at it than they can with their shooting. You do not want this to be you.

9. Hectorx

Hectorx Loaded Pockets

Glock the Apple computer of the gun world. If you want to be one of those people go ahead, otherwise go with the revolver, it's a better double duty option.

10. Kabong30

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

Wow, a slam on Glock people and Mac people in one stroke!

11. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

Since I have no intention of getting into some sort of armed standoff/shootout with law enforcement, home defense to me is an intruder situation. And a intruder isn't going to come to my residence, announce their presence to let me know they'll be back to conduct a home break in. So let's be real. I don't care who you are or how much training you have, if you are startled awake in the middle of the night, disorientated and confused, you aren't going to be firing at someone very accurately. You have to assume you will only have seconds to react, so your heart rate will but up from being startled awake at the very least. Anyone with training can shoot accurately but in the heat of battle when nerves are jumpy and the ole heart is racing it's a different story. In most cases the entire situation isn't going to take long enough for you to settle down. You most likely will fall back to the training you received but that isn't going to keep your physical impairments in check. That is why it is important to have something that is very easy to use, something that is instinct and doesn't require you to take very much time to aim. And that is why a shotgun is hands down the best weapon for home defense. If you use a handgun then you need something like a light or a laser that will allow you to quickly point and shoot too. But just the second or so it takes to switch them on might be a second or two too long. So stick to the good ole dependable pump shotgun.

Parawolfe

12. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

That's pretty funny.

Glocks are known to be cheap, ugly, and reliable.

Apples are shiny and expensive.

I'm lost to what was being compared here.

13. Kabong30

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

Really? That's not usually the word that springs to mind when I think of Glock.

Also, My Mac wasn't all that expensive, and in the 2 1/2 years I've had it, I've had ZERO issues, it's extremely reliable. (not that it's urbane to the discussion, but blind Apple hate bugs me.)

14. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Maybe I should have rearranged the words in that sentence a little; the impression that I get is that Glocks are the some of the cheapest handguns that are also extremely reliable, which explains why all the police departments have them. They're a "safe bet" in the handgun world, if I was going to get a handgun that I didn't care how it looked and I knew it would always go bang, I would get a Glock. To me, expensive = 1911, Sigs. But I don't like handguns very much.

Down, Apple fanboy - I never said Macs were unreliable. You can't really argue that fact that Apple doesn't have a budget line (think sub-$1000 notebook or $500 desktop), and there's a small premium for the exterior. I was thinking of getting a Mac to do some iPhone app development, but computers don't really interest me anymore.

Shooting at unidentified shadows? Remind me not to stay over at your house. And I hope you don't have kids or pets.

15. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

My wife and I are child free and the only pet that could be confused as a human sized shadow sleeps at the foot of the bed and would alert us to any intruder. Be aware of your surroundings, make sure that everything you care about is behind you the rest is a target.

Parawolfe

16. leroy

leroy Empty Pockets

For what it's worth. Been shooting for 40 years; handloading over 30. Of the two choices you've listed; i like the Glock 32. They are ultra reliable and pack a genuine whallop. Additionally, they wont kill your pocketbook. They are used by several top notch State Police and Highway Patrol Organizations. I carry and regularly shoot the compact version of the glock 32; the glock 33. Spend the time to learn how to use this gun and it will serve your needs well. If you have the time and inclination; you may want to take a defensive oriented shooting or handgun carry class if one is available in your area. I would recommend (as others have said) that you make sure you get a good holster that covers the trigger guard of your glock. In spite of what is said in advertising; there is no safety on a glock except the person using it. If the trigger gets pulled, it will go off and shot you.
    Hope this helps.
    Kind regards,
    LEROY

17. thatJeffguy

thatJeffguy Empty Pockets

Of those, the Glock.

You're getting a lot of the performance of the .357MAG but you've got 12(13?)+1 before you've got to reload. The .357SIG round, a Speer 125g Gold Dot Hollow Point, coming out of my P229 SIG (which has a barrel thats marginally shorter than yours) comes to a mean average of 1360fps. A wee bit more barrel, it'll be about the same. That's a lot of "hole" to produce in a target. Also, Glocks are fun to shoot, accurate from the box and semi-automatic, versus a wheel gun.

How many military's in existence today use wheel guns?

18. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

Honestly there is no one gun for both woods and home protection. For outdoors protection I like to take a large or extra large frame S&W in a caliber that will blow holes through a 5+ foot thick hunk of meat (i.e. a bear) because where I live that's the biggest meanest thing I'm likely to encounter. But I live in a housing complex so if someone breaks in I can't be shooting at them with a .460 S&W Magnum I need something smaller. What you need to do is ask yourself if the gun you want can handle the bigger tasks without being so big that it's too big for the smaller tasks.

19. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

My choice, REM 870 or Rem 1187 for home intruder. less collateral damage to your home.

20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Please elaborate on your statement; particularly the word "less."