1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Home-made Surefire E-Series Lanyard Attachment

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by 0dBm, Nov 18, 2006.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Like many here and on CPF, I carry a Surefire E-Series-sized flashlight daily. I do not like the only attachment point on the E2E and the E2O-the end of the pocket clip. I don't like the pocket clip either, but that is another story.

This is about my solution for a lanyard attachment other than the pocket clip.

I found a compression ring from a local hardware store. I don't recall the exact name of this product, so if I am in error, kindly please correct me and provide the official name.

The inside diameter of this ring allows the rear section of a Surefire E-Series battery tube just forward of the rear threads to fit inside it. McGizmo's Aleph and Balrog's tubes will also fit. I am using Balrog's in the photos below.

Once again, I use Spro split rings. I use the smallest size that I could find to attach to the hole on each end of this ring. I use a larger one as the actual lanyard attach point. The larger ring is just large enough to be practical and small enough to keep it from being too obtrusive.

I have been using this setup for weeks now and I like it.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/0dbm/DSCN6506.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/0dbm/DSCN6509.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/0dbm/DSCN6510.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/0dbm/DSCN6511.jpg[/img]

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Clever, 0dBm. Looks like a snap ring. (I heard a slang term for them years ago, but I won't mention it in mixed company.)

3. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Very nice idea!

Could you skip the third split ring on the snap ring, and attach the McGizmo clip directly onto the 2 smaller split rings?

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Possibly, if one's finger dexterity is still intact. My old, fat fingers are just too shaky to get a firm grasp on those teneee split rings that are only 1/4-inch in diameter. :p ;D

Those rings are small. That McGizmo clip is the second to the smallest-the Nano size.

5. alphazulu

alphazulu Loaded Pockets

I can't wait to try this on my E1e....I just wish I'd thought of it!!

6. cssims

cssims Empty Pockets

While I don't have the ring he's using in hand, I just tried untwisting both the tailcap and the bulb on my E1e and neither take much unscrewing until they won't allow it to turn on. Unless we find one of these rings that are really really thin I don't see it working.

Edit: when I say won't turn on I mean always on, not the momentary, but even then, it's still not much until it won't work either way.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

In a bit of rush to finish the post, I completely neglected to qualify the utility of this setup.

The battery compartment is an E-Series compatible tube made by fellow member Balrog. The switch is a stock Surefire Z52 Lock Out Tail Cap (LOTC). The head is a Mcgizmo Aleph A-1 with a Ti Bezel. The Light Engine is a beautifully-tinted WXOS LuxV with a BB700 Driver.

It outputs a lot of light and it does get hot in about 90 seconds. It is a flashlight that I do not use frequently and I prefer to use it in bursts of no more than 20-25 seconds per burst.

That means that the Z52 is always in off position until I depress the button. This lanyard attachment will not allow the swith to activate to keep the light on constantly when the cap is tightened to its max travel. It is a limitation that has its merits.

8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

cssims,

Welcome aboard. ;D

9. Underhill
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Underhill Perpetually Hungry

Very clever!

10. tobrien

tobrien Loaded Pockets

Sorry to bump an old old thread but I found this one via google and WOW