1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Homage watches pro et con

Discussion in 'Watches' started by gstojinovic, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

My order from military time took just over a month---i shouldn't worry yet....

2. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Appreciate the feedback. By my calculations, the one from MT hopefully will be here in the coming week. The Getat I sent back....not really sure. It was going to cost half the price of the watch to ship it back to Hong Kong with insurance, so I just sent it 1st class. Maybe a mistake on my part.
    I'm also waiting on my Aristo Kampfschwimmer to come back from MotorCity watchworks. Sent it in for a heavy bead blast. Probably got a few more months before it shows up.

3. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Update: Military Time homage arrived today. I ordered the Ti winder. First impressions.....swapped the band for a tan Panatime strap before I took the plastic off the crystals. Band that came with it is not horrible, but fake croc is not my thing. Watch is light. Got serious doubts that it is truly titanium, but looks ok. There are some finish marks on the case, and a few sharp edges here and there. It will be ok for a casual/semi dress watch.
    Also got a reply from Getat stating my watch had arrived. It took almost a month going 1st class! He said he would get the replacement shipped out soon.

4. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Good news finally arrives! I went with the brushed stainless on my next order. I was thinking Ti but as you state, it may or may not be and I didn't think it was worth the extra $$ to find out. They are fun everyday watches that perform well and look good once you ditch the cheap looking strap.

5. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Kind of wished I had went with the SS. I will have to say it is very light.
    My wife told me the new trend is for women to wear oversized men's watches. She has been eyeballing mine this afternoon....... I may break down and give her the Getat when it returns. Then again, maybe not. Lol.

6. hatchetjack

I'm giving my son my Parnis homage once my MT shows up. He was looking for a dress watch.

7. Blak Smyth

Blak Smyth Loaded Pockets

Not happy at all when my the face of my homage has turned inside the case and is no longer perfectly alligned.

8. hatchetjack

I often wondered about that, especially on the sandwich dials.

Blak Smyth likes this.
  9. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

Perhaps this can be fixed--Amazon carries double sided watchmaker tape which is pre-cut into micro squares...several sheets for about 20.00. This tape is often used to secure loose movements within a case with no supports or to secure a loose dial to a movement with no studs.

Open the case, check first to see if there are any internal supports for the movement to lock it into place that may have come loose---

I doubt there are any, probably the fit of the movement in the case was what they depended on to hold the dial aligned...take the pre-cut micro tape squares, (with tweezers they are really, really small) and with the dial aligned properly use as many squares as necessary to secure the movement to the case edges. Sort of like building a column of tape from the case edge to the movement. Make sure or trim the tape squares to insure they do not interfere with the closure of the case back.
    I would repeat this process several places between the movement and the case to insure no vibration or additional shifting of the movement inside the case in the future.
    Although this sounds like a jury-rigged solution--it often works for years if done properly.
    I hope i made sense explaining this.

You may want to think about giving it a try--of course i may be completely off base since each of these watch batches are unique.
    But this is a fix requiring no special tools or parts.

Blak Smyth likes this.
  10. 38snubby

38snubby Loaded Pockets

I have a bit of experience with Homage watches and Reps. This website is a valuable resource;

http://www.homageforum.com

I would also like to point out that if you are in a rush to get your watch don't order from any of these dealers. It takes time they do not stock all of the watches on their sites. The way it works is like this;

You place the order and pay
    The dealer then sources the watch and any special parts (2-10 days)
    The watch is then shipped (14-25 business days)

Getat is a bit slower then Jackson at Military time or Helenarou.

11. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Get an inexpensive real watch... Don't get a "homage" People will notice. You will know. It's not the same.

Once of my favorite real watches is the Seiko Black Monster, inexpensive and got more comment then my expensive watch. But be let it be known, first my watches are for me, not to impress.

12. hatchetjack

I think most of us get them because we like the form factor and styling, same as someone who owns a dive watch from Orient, Seiko, Citizen or Invicta which are homages of the classic Submariner. As long as it's not carrying a counterfeit branding I don't see an issue. As for me, I like the look and so the watch (all sterile dials) is for me and they do get compliments but that's not why I wear them.

13. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Update....I received a email over 1month ago that Getat had received my defective watch and was making it right. One month ago I got another email that the new watch was shipped and included a tracking number ( which I never was able to use). I sent a email on Saturday last week asking if he could please check and see if he could locate where my watch was located. I have yet to get a response as of Wednesday the 30th.
    As for my homage from Military Time, it's ok. It is running about 5 minutes fast every 24 hours. I'm getting maybe 36 hours on a full winding. It's not saw a lot of wrist time as of present. I do think both experiences have satisfied my curiosity with the homage from these particular dealers and timepieces.

14. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Update...and probably the last....

It's now 11-9-13. I sent another email to Getat on Monday and have not received a reply. That brings the total of emails sent without a reply to 3. Either my watch was lost in transit, is being held in customs, or was never sent. It still may show up, but I am starting to seriously doubt it. I guess what I am most disappointed by is the lack of communication from the seller. While I don't have a money tree in the back yard, I am willing to write this off as a life lesson. I have always been cautious about purchasing items that have to ship international. I have been lucky until now. I think I will stick to purchases with vendors in the US when possible.

15. Blak Smyth

Blak Smyth Loaded Pockets

Homage watches are not made to impress people, they are made for those who love but can't afford the original design.
    If you buy a homage you should not try to pass it off as the original, that would be fraud not homage.
    If you could afford a Panerai, you would not buy a homage.

hatchetjack likes this.
  16. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Final Update....
    Watch arrived today 11-18-13. Watch took almost 7 weeks to arrive after shipping notice was sent. I had ordered a black face, green Superlume dial and hands, stainless with polished bezel case, screw in spring bars, plain black band.
    I got a stainless case w/ polished bezel, brown face with yellow numerals, no Superlume, no screw in spring bars, and black fake gator band. This is the same watch I sent back minus the brown band. It has the same crappy spring bar release that I specifically stated I did not want.
    My recommendation? Do not order from Getat. Communication is nonexsistant, orders are filled incorrectly, and quality is poor. I paid extra for features I never received and had to pay return shipping for the defective watch. Your results may differ.