1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Holy grail of external hard drives

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by klaiviel, Oct 2, 2009.

1. epicelite

epicelite Loaded Pockets

Get a SSD!

Some of them come with a USB port built in! :0

2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

My WD Mybook has so far treated me well, bulky and dependant on power, but cheaper for the memory.

If you want something as a properly portable drive then the WD passports seem a great option.

3. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

This is another advantage to rolling your own drive, bare drives have 3 year warranties. BUT no drive warranty covers data loss so backing up the backups is critical. I am currently looking for a good offsite backup company as further redundancy.

4. klaiviel

klaiviel Loaded Pockets

5. klaiviel

klaiviel Loaded Pockets

Wow they changed that price fast. Sorry guys, the price has gone up back to $109.99. It was good while it lasted..

6. andreww

andreww Empty Pockets

So, I'm totally new to the forums, but my solution was fairly cheap (and waterproof, too). I put a WD passport elite (320 gb I believe) into a pelican 1020 case. I don't think it would be rugged while it's running, but for me that's not an issue. Just thought I'd pass along another option. YMMV.

Andrew

7. copierguy_mobile

copierguy_mobile Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a WD essential 250GB for $60 at Wal-Mart. I don't even think that's a sale price.

only bummer is that it didn't even come with a slip case, so now I'm hunting for a good compact case for it.

-Greg

8. alanb

alanb Loaded Pockets

Apricorn makes some great, small, rugged external drives. I've been using one for 5 years. Perfect for my extensive travel needs... I'm out of the office traveling to client sites 5 days a week.

AJ

9. smokeybehr

smokeybehr Empty Pockets

I use a Vantec enclosure with an 80GB HDD for work, and the only problem is that some of the older Dells won't recognize it as a boot drive, while the WD passport works flawlessly.

I EDC a 500GB WD Passport with all my important docs and tunes.

10. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Smoke,

That is true, the WD Passport boards have an emulation built in where the Vantec boards are just a bare bones interface.

I only use my drive for storage so I did not mention that thanks for bringing it up.

SM

11. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

Lacie Rugged drives are pretty awesome, lots of padding, shock protection, usb 2, firewire 400/800, up to 500gb storage and powered through the data cable.

12. ethernectar

ethernectar Empty Pockets

Have traveled a lot with Lacie Rugged drives without any issues. Plus, FireWire 800 is smoking hot but next ones will be eSata.

13. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

14. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

I've had a very expensive MacAlly enclosure die on me in just a couple years of normal use (the Firewire/USB board died, not the HDD) so this rather turned me off the idea of "dumb" external HDDs. :shrug: Just went and maxed out the internal drive, this was much more gigs for the money.
    Maybe sometime a "smart" one, with its own LAN, WiFi, torrent, FTP and HTTP downloading and media player functions - but this is rather outside the scope of this discussion.

15. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

I've done my research and read some bad reviews from WD, maybe you guys had other experiences but personally i am going with a Seagate... might want to check it out guys? they have the fewest bad reviews, and my dad who is a Computer Database Administrator at a university swears by em.

16. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

17. Perfectionist

Perfectionist Loaded Pockets

True, I always use full size Seagate drives in my PC - they have a better reputation and a longer warranty! :luck:

As far as WD My Passports - they seem to be pretty reliable ...... if it lasts for 3 years, I'll be happy ...... by then 10Tb drives will be available or hopefully SSD's would have become affordable! :highfive:

18. sanddragger28

sanddragger28 Empty Pockets