1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hogue knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Gym55Rat, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

Anyone have experience with Hogue knives? Specifically I'm looking at the 3.5" blade ex01and aluminum handle scales. Any feedback would be great.

Last edited by Gym55Rat, Jun 15, 2016
  2. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

sorry no one has answered you yet, I don't own any Hogue's but from what I hear people are generally pleased with them

3. kdurt

kdurt Loaded Pockets

I handled a couple at a gun show and was impressed with the quality. Almost pulled the trigger on a 4" bladed one that had an unusual blade shape and killer colored and shaped g10 handles. Probably doesn't help you much though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tyman26

tyman26 Loaded Pockets

My neighbor has one, very nice knife, well worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Unwisefool

Unwisefool Empty Pockets

I've owned two, lost the aluminum handle one but it was one of my favorite knives. Easy to sharpen and held a good edge. Solid lockup as well.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

6. FateOne

FateOne Loaded Pockets

The aluminum ones are pretty slippery for me. In the auto especially. I really like the 4" in black G10. I also have a tanto in green G10 but am not a big fan of tantos for EDC. They look cool though :)

The aluminum is especially bad on the EX01A auto. It has jumped out of my hand and I dinged up the frame on my aluminum. I also have a G10 auto and have not had a problem with it.

I think I have 6 EX01s currently, dupes of the green tanto because I got a good deal. My favorite is the 4" black gmascus. I fell in love the first time I handled it and paid full retail for it at Cabela's when they first came out years ago.

7. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

+1. I had a aluminum one too, very slippery. I know some folks who put track tape on it but it looked like crap. I sold it. Nothing wrong with the build quality or steel, I'd just suggest a g10 handle myself.

8. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the replies. Solid advise. I have been selling off some of my knives in preparation to buy a higher end knife. Emerson horseman, spydie yojimbo2, and the Ex01 are all on the short list.

9. anthonyawaken

anthonyawaken Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just recently picked up two of the EX-01's, one in G10 - The other in Aluminum. Both are 4" blades. My last higher end knife purchases were a couple of Benchmade's and I had looked at the Hogue knives when I purchased those. Well, low and behold these knives plagued my mind until I bought them lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Thoughts:
    - They are extremely smooth, are well made with good materials and are very sharp.
    - So far they seem to be very tough and oriented as a knife that can handle heavy-use with no problems.
    - I was really drawn to the feel of both of these knives in hand, even the aluminum version which reportedly was a little slippery (I've personally not had that issue)...So I had to buy both.
    - The blade centering is perfect, the fit and finish are excellent, and they just look good. And the action...Oh man, the action is the smoothest of any knife at this price point (and even better than some $400-500 knives I've handled). The feel of these knives in hand are what got me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time will tell with more use/wear how these knives hold up and impress me. So far I'm a big fan and believe if you're interested in checking them out than you certainly should. Careful if you pick one up in person though - You'll end up with two like I did

Hope my thoughts and pics help give others a better idea about these knives.
    - AnthonyAwaken.com | Sent from my phone & probably filled with typos & auto corrects

Gym55Rat and Unwisefool like this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

anthonyawaken: I must have missed it in a previous posting or thread. Which steel does each of these use?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. anthonyawaken

154CM with a RC 57-59 blade hardness
    (from their site)

- AnthonyAwaken.com | Sent from Mobile (auto correct & typos in all their glory)

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

anthonyawaken likes this.
  13. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

Thank you for posting your pictures and review. I still haven't seen the knives in person. That will change this weekend and I will update with my decision.

14. anthonyawaken

You are very welcome. I am sure you'll be impressed with them! I'm excited to hear your thoughts once you handle them.

- AnthonyAwaken.com | Sent from Mobile (auto correct & typos in all their glory)

15. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't own one but I've played with several a couple of times and I was impressed with them. They're light, comfy, smooth, and fun to flick open and closed. Smooth as butter and FAST too. The detents on the flipper knives did seem a smidge heavy, but when you overcame them the blade rocketed out, so it worked out in the end.

16. Gym55Rat

Gym55Rat Loaded Pockets

Did not get a chance to swing by Warriors and Wonders this weekend. No new knife updates, but my dads wedding was a good time.