1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hip Flask suggestions

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by doug_the_donut, Jun 4, 2011.

1. doug_the_donut

doug_the_donut Loaded Pockets

I'm considering purchasing a hip flask. My last one (a rather beautiful piece) rusted from the inside after not being used to a few years. I'd usually be carrying Whiskey or Brandy in it.

eBay has several listed starting such as THIS which ships from Hong Kong for only $3.76. Granted, it's stainless steel instead of covered with leather, but I don't mind that.

Now I have 2 questions:

1) Whether I should buy a cheap one like the link I posted or invest in a more expensive one.
    2) How can I prevent the flask from rusting up again?

Thank you for your time.

2. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

Snow peak has several sizes of Titanium flasks that will never rust, but cost over $125. Whether you buy affordable gear or pay more for the best gear available? That's a personal choice.

3. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

Cheap flasks

I had one that was more than $10 from one of those mall engraving stores. It was cheaply made and developed a leak on the bottom edge where the welding had a pinhole sized leak in it.

My only other concern about cheaply made flasks is that a non food safe welding flux would be used, like one with lead in it or something... I don't know much about welding however... so perhaps this isn't a realistic concern.

4. chico13

chico13 Loaded Pockets

5. mrbickelsworth
    • +1 Supporter

mrbickelsworth Loaded Pockets

Stainless steel flasks in general shouldn't have a problem rusting. I know nothing about quality issues regarding their construction, plus it's hard to tell because prices can be all over the map. The only suggestion I would make is stay away from pewter because I've heard that it can impart a metallic taste to its contents.

I came across this flask on a trip to england. I really liked it because it's slim and more pocketable, and the wool wrap with leather trim is unique. But $70 for a flask is a little rich for my blood. ;D

http://www.highgroveshop.com/gifts-stationery/gifts-by-recipient/for-men/highgrove-check-slim-hip-flask/c-gif00099/

6. mrbickelsworth
    • +1 Supporter

mrbickelsworth Loaded Pockets

Or you might consider a Stanley Flask. I think it'll be heavier than almost any other option, but the construction quality and durability is almost undeniable.

7. doug_the_donut

doug_the_donut Loaded Pockets

I think I'll probably save up for one of those Snow Peak flasks. Thank you for your help everyone!