1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hinderer XM18 Homemade Modifications

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Dafabricata, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

I've seen all sorts of beautiful Hinderer knives and a lot of the available add-on accessories for them. Most cost more than I'm willing to spend or aren't really my style.

I wanted to "personalize" the XM18 that I bought from Vesp last year to make it a bit different.
    The first attempt was just a filler that fits between the regular spacers. It was made from brass along with a brass filler tab for the pocket clip filler tab. Both have tritium slots. I've never seen someone utilize this spot for an add-on accessorie but it seemed like a simple modification without doing anything permanent or difficult.

When I remembered that I had some bronze (I liked the way it seemed to blend well with the titanium and brown scale), I decided to try something a little different.
    The 3 holes for the spacers were transfered to the bronze for the holes to be drilled. The original spacers will not be used for this, just the studs and screws. Next a scrap piece of aluminum was drilled with the same hole pattern to allow the new spacer to be mounted for milling operations. After roughing out the basic shape, I decided to keep the profile of the exposed section squared off, not to match the contour of the frame. I also added a green tritium in the slot.
    Anyway, after several hours, the new spacer/liner is in place. I'm undecided as to if the sides should be chamfered or not. I also made a bronze filler tab with tritium for the pocket clip tab and a bronze disc to replace the stock one. Everything can be switched back to stock within minutes.
    I know not everyone will like this but so far I'm enjoying it. The sloped ramp up front feels really nice when my thumb is placed on it while open.

For some reason the bronze spacers profile reminds me of the horses mane...

Feel free to post any modifications you've made to your Hinderer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Dafabricata, Feb 7, 2014
    Jramirez9083, Fukurai, Vesp and 16 others like this.
  2. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice work! Looks a little steampunkish.:)
    Did you make the clip hole filler piece as well?

FenixArcher and Dafabricata like this.
  3. MarauderX

MarauderX Loaded Pockets

Love the look of it. Great job.

Dafabricata likes this.
  4. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I really like your work, very good craftmanship, wish I could work with metal just half that good.
    I just don't dig the Hinderer design, too beefy and CNC style for my tastes :p

FenixArcher and Dafabricata like this.
  5. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

That's sexy. Makes one wish those were standard options on Hinderers.

ATB,
    Sam

Adahn and Dafabricata like this.
  6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Maybe somebody from the forum knows people at Hinderer's or they read here as well? Would be a cool idea for them I guess, or maybe at least something for the aftermarket :)

7. Dafabricata

This is an aluminum scale that I'm making for my XM18.
    Dragon-Skin grip.
    WIP pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xiii, Fukurai, Vesp and 8 others like this.
  8. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

Very nice work! I just got an XM-18 a few days ago, and I must say I think a custom backspacer is the best modification I can imagine for this beast.

Dafabricata likes this.
  9. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Very, very, very nice!!!

I have been wantin to add trits to my EDC knife, and I think this has done it.

Dafabricata likes this.
  10. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Very awesome!

Dafabricata likes this.
  11. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Fantastic, all of it!

That has got to be THE coolest grip pattern I have EVER seen! I'd probably go nuts trying that! Its gotta be a real P!TA to mill and not screw up your spacing/offset... would be for me anyway...;) You never cease to impress me!

Each row is stepped down from the last.... does the whole scale have taper to allow this, getting progressively thinner toward the butt end as it steps?

OR Did you angle the cuts in slightly so just the curves are deeper than the points, providing the illusion of an endless step in, but staying on the same plain? (I figure not likely, but it just struck me that its technically possible...)

OK, looking closer, I *think* you let it actually step down and let the scale get thinner as it went...

What dia mill are you using, about 1/4"? Now I'm thinking I'm gonna Have To try that on the next Cryo scale I do... :D

12. Dafabricata

Thanks for the nice comments guys.:D

AK, the head was tilted on the mill to cut at an angle and across the same plane.
    I do like your idea of steping down as well...might have to try that sometime although it adds another step into the mix.
    I'm using an 1/8th inch end mill and it is very time consuming.
    The offset isn't that bad. Just be sure to triple check if you ever question your next cut.
    This grip pattern is actually one that I first saw on an Ed Brown 1911.

A bronze scale was also started tonight. I had to leave the unheated shop at 4am due to cold feet and needing sleep. I'll post some pics of it once I'm a little further along.

13. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

You have skills and good tastes, sir !
    Nick

Dafabricata likes this.
  14. Dafabricata

Getting closer. The overall OD is about 1mm larger allowing me to slowly remove material until it matches the original scale size. Another hour or two with the files and sandpaper and it should be ready for whatever finish I decide to do.

[​IMG]

jeepsrjason, cowsmilk, Adahn and 5 others like this.
  15. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Dang, looks great. Really dig the spacer with the GITS/Trit fob. Keep posting more pics ;)

Dafabricata likes this.
  16. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Oh lucky you that you have time for that. I just waste my time in the forum :p

Fukurai and Dafabricata like this.