1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hiking DSLR pack

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by LaVillaStrangiato11, Jan 3, 2019.

1. LaVillaStrangiato11

LaVillaStrangiato11 Loaded Pockets

Hey all

Looking for a new pack for my camera gear. This is when I go out on day hikes and/or just taking my gear out and about. I usually just throw the body and lenses into separate pouches then into another pack, but I want something more engineered for DSLR and glass so I do not have to pack items separately.

Gear I have right now that needs to go in the bag:

- Canon 5D Mark IV
    - Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L II IS USM
    - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS macro
    - Canon 16-35 f/4L IS USM
    (I do not have a walk around lens yet for the full frame, so mainly it will be macro shots and birding)
    - Canon Speedlite 430EX II
    - Tripod (so it definitely needs a tripod pocket with buckles or something to hold it down
    - accessories like spare batteries, external battery pack, cords, ear buds, SD cards
    - random other stuff like snacks, beanie, extra socks, hoodie, wallet, keys, bandana, IFAK, etc...

A plus would be maybe an option to open the pack for a side access to the camera so I can just sling the pack around for quick access. I have had sling packs before. They're just ok. Would prefer a backpack though.

Side pockets would be nice forwater bottle, tripod. So really just a solid pack for camera gear, a couple lenses (so padded inserts), and space/zipper pockets for accessories. Laptop compartment may be nice, but not necessary since I will not be hiking with it.

Looking at the Lowepros 450 larger ones, but not sure if it will hold the boddy attached with the 100-400 inside.

Thanks all so much for your time and responses. Happy New Year!

Last edited by LaVillaStrangiato11, Jan 8, 2019
    #1 LaVillaStrangiato11, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

I love my Vanquest Trident. The larger one has a tripod pocket on the side. It is a little pricey but you have some very expensive gear you're carrying around so maybe it's worth the cost to you. It has been for me.

I have never used the 100-400mm and am unfamiliar with its size. I would assume it would fit but I would check measurements to make sure.

3. ChrisS

ChrisS Empty Pockets

I'm currently using an F-stop Tilopa. It's definitely on the spendy side but build quality and the variability of the inserts is fantastic. With the xl insert it should hold everything you've listed including the body attached to the 100-400. The only issue is that its only rear entry for the camera compartment.

Ross2187 likes this.
  4. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

Here's what I'm hiking with, the padded section is a little small for your gear list, but where this pack really excels is in having your camera/walkaround lens readily accessible, and also being a totally reasonable backpack for actual hiking, with room for a coat, lunch, water bladder, etc.

It's by FAR the best backpack for actual hiking with camera/drone gear I've encountered - well-designed, stable, comfortable, and fairly reasonably priced. https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Photo-Sport-300-AW/dp/B013GUN6W4/

I don't have the 100-400, but this one fits my 6Dii with 70-300L, and has room left in the camera section for another mid-sized lens.

The 200 size is quite small, really only appropriate for mirrorless, but the 300 is a good balance of enough room for camera gear, enough room for 10-Essentials or similar, and a comfortable size/weight for day hiking.

5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I won't claim to have tried everything out there, but I can tell you my search for camera hiking / travel backpack ended when I tried F-stop.
    I would recommend you to find a store and try the different backpacks, so you can find the best combination of pack / insert (ICU) for your needs.
    https://fstopgear.com/

Edit: I don't think they have any models with side entry. I use my bags in combination with the Capture pro from peak design. It might not be the best solution for everyone, but I think its perfect. I think side entry is nice on typical day packs, but when you stuff heavy camera gear and some hiking gear in a lager pack with chest and hip support, swinging that beast around for side entry isn't all that easy.

Last edited by aicolainen, Jan 23, 2019
    #5 aicolainen, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  6. Joseph08

Joseph08 Loaded Pockets

You got a pretty nice gear.

7. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

FYI, I've posted my Lowepro Protactic 350 AW II in the for sale section, which happens to have back, top and duel side loading. :p