1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hiking Boots Aficionados

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by ArkansasFan30, Jul 2, 2017.

1. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Begging on your knowledge of hiking boots, I need help.

I have wide feet. In boots/shoes that make EE with, I get those (11EE) and never have problems.

Now, when it comes to hiking boots, there aren't many manufactures making EE width just generic "wide." I've bought some Lowas and Vasques to try on, but they're not wide enough. I don't want any more Merrells. I don't find them that comfortable for long and probably wouldn't under load.

I've used Danner boots many times in the past, and they make a some to fit. However, their hikers are kind of heavy.

Any options? Many thanks.

The local outfitter doesn't carry wides. *Eyeroll*

2. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

I have EE feet too. I used to LOVE Vasque Skywalks back in the 80s.
    Anyway, I had some luck with work shoes lately: couldn't find my size in wide and the saleswoman suggested going up a size. I was dubious, but it turned out to be a Jedi moment. Most comfortable shoes I own now. The only caveat is that I have to wear them with two pair of socks.

3. ArkansasFan30

I did that as a teenager with Doc Martens before going to an actual boot store one day and finding out, bada bing, my feet were wide.

4. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

Give it a shot. What the heck.
    I'll tell you what though, they sure don't make em like they used to. If I were looking, I'd start from scratch and just try as many as I could. Easier if you have a decent outfitter near you, but even THEY are not like they once were. :-(

5. buck268

buck268 Loaded Pockets

Which model danners are you looking at? My 453 hikers are not what I'd call heavy. Certainly lighter than my favorites, my pair of ICH/crate rim hikers.

The 453 runs a lot roomier than the crate rim in my experience. I have 13d in one which fits very welll and 14d in the other, which also fits very well but slightly narrower.

6. ArkansasFan30

I ordered the Danner Mt Adams boot about an hour ago with 25% off at Shoes do com. I think 57 ounces in weight. They "look" comfortable. I was considering the Danner Light IIs but wondered about manuever ability. I took a look at the 453s.

I want as good of a general purpose outdoor boot as I can get.

I'd love to try out a Saloman but no wides.

Guido Nova likes this.
  7. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Boots are very hard to select based on recommendation from other people. Each paw is different. I am 12 EE. Wide with narrow heel. Broken and frostbitten toes. What terrain ? What loads ?
    For any hiking boot you need to size at least one size up. Going down you need the extra space. I have used Asolo, Hanwag, Raichle, Lowa and Zamberlan .
    Zamberlan wide is just not wide enough.
    Lowa is a lottery.
    Raichle stoped making my boots. Those were the best.
    Asolo sassloong (not sure if still made) was a dream. Light and wide. Not suitable for the mountains in the winter but rest of the year... Great!
    I am currently running Hanwag GTX Alaska Wide. After experimenting with insoles and socks I skip the firs two eyelets and the boots work . Great boot . JUst the German wide is not wide enough..
    Loads around 40-70Lbs .

8. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

If you can find some Keen boots they are made wide. Even in the normal width hikers like the "Austin" model, they are nice and wide for my EE feet. (Look like duck feet!).

surefire7 and ArkansasFan30 like this.
  9. ArkansasFan30

I've seen mixed reviews for the Danner I just ordered. If they don't work I'll give Keen a look. If that doesn't work, well idk what to do. I'm not too jazzed by Merrells and didn't like my Columbia boots.

10. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

+1 for Keen. Have owned Redwing, Soloman, Merrel, North Face, and Keen... Keen beats them all by far, IMO.

surefire7 likes this.
  11. Cuester

Cuester Loaded Pockets

I have wide feet issues but the Zamberlan Vioz gtx boots fit perfectly and size up in half sizes which is nice. Just don't look too long at the price....

12. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Another vote for hanwag and meindl both work for me I'm currently using haix which after the first day have been like slippers and seem quite a wide fit

13. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

14. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I have very wide feet myself, and have a hard time finding footwear that fit. This is made even harder by my feet being ridiculously small. Try finding anything on 5EE!

Luckily, boots are somewhat easier than shoes. My current hiking boots are a pair of Garmont Syncro II Plus GTX.

While Garmont doesn't do different widths, the Syncros are pretty roomy, width a generous toebox. They are not very high as hiking boots go, and have a strange, notched cuff. This makes them less than ideal for wading shallow streams or wallowing in the mud. Other than that, they are great allround hiking boots.

The boots are made from full grain leather, and feature a very grippy Vibram sole and rubber toe protection. The strange cuffs offer lots of support without being stiff, and the boots feel stable without being to heavy.

I've worn mine from seashore to summit for four years, and they are still going strong.

15. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

What size are you ! Can you please measure the widest part of your insoles? Appreciate it !!!
    Good boots are always pricey .... if they fit it is worth it. As long as you do not tell the wife.

16. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

I have wide feet too. Just got Merrell MOAB Wides with Gore-Tex. Super happy with them! And if you want something even lighter but not waterproof, Altra Lone Peak 3.0. They're more of a trail-runner, but light and made for wide feet (though they don't call it a wide-width).

17. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

I wore the MOABs in the past... while initially nice, they wore out incredibly quick (insoles, interior fabric, soles, ankle padding, etc). I had to replace them every ~5mon, and after 3 pairs, I moved on to Keen. I hope you have better luck with them.

18. ArkansasFan30

Yeah my beluga colored pair have rock hard insoles now. I should really see if Merrell sells replacements. Overall, the shoe works for casual use, but they're not what I'd want for distant or repetitive use especially under load.

19. Cuester

Cuester Loaded Pockets

I'll get to this tonight and get back to you.

20. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

THNX!