1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hiking and Coffee

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by quadrille, Oct 9, 2008.

1. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

Any one have any suggestion on what equipment (jetboil) or otherwise to make a good cup of coffee in the woods?

Thanks!

2. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

Jetboil has a very good solution if you have their system. They have a French press accessory the fits their PCS cooking pot or their 1L hot cup. Expensive for what it is at $20. Their French press unit might fit other containers if the size is right. It must fit precisely in diameter. If you own the Jetboil PCS this is probably a good option. It breaks down and stores inside the basic cooking pot.

Also, Bodum, who makes a big selection of coffee presses, makes a coffee press travel mug. A coffee press built into a fairly standard .5L travel mug. I have not used this unit.

If you are car camping, you can bring a regular press pot in glass or stainless. Best coffee in the woods. IMO, French Press is the best way to make coffee no matter where you are.

Mark

3. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

A Zassenhaus Turkish Mill for grinding and Stainless Steel or Copper Ibrik brew a killer cup of Turkish coffee with any camp stove. Check out Sweet Maria's for both.

4. mrmakochan

mrmakochan Loaded Pockets

If you have access to a Japanese market, try looking for instant drip packs.

There are a number of good brands such as Key Coffee and Blendy.

Basically its a single serving coffee that has coffee grounds in a filter that you place over a cup. Pour water over it and have instant drip coffee.
    Linky Dinky
    Another Pic

It is a very good cup of joe. And I am big coffee connoisseur and I know good coffee. I make my own coffee and Americanos at home. But when I travel or go camping this is the next best thing, especially since the packs are so light.

5. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

If you just want a plain, generic "cup o' coffee", Maxwell House sells their coffee in tea bags. You can pick up a box at your grocery store. I keep some at home, work and a couple in my bag. Heat some water whatever way you can.

The bags came in handy recently when I got up in the morning at the power was out. Just used a teapot on the gas stove for the water.

6. Brickout

Brickout Loaded Pockets

7. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

I do not like the maxwell house bags, has anyone used a jetboil with a french press? Looks like a great idea, not sure how to carry milk or cream into the woods.

:(

8. StSumwhere

StSumwhere Loaded Pockets

Last edited by StSumwhere, Oct 21, 2013
  9. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I cannot drink coffee without cream (in a pinch, milk) and sugar. I mean, for me it is a "why bother" moment if I can't have cream and sugar. But for cream, how about some of those little creamers that they serve in restaurants, like the little Land o' Lakes ones? Mini Moos, I think they are called. They are always sitting out unrefrigerated.

I have the little French press in a mug setup--found it at Starbucks a couple of years ago. Here's one in titanium by Snowpeak--a bit bigger in ounces of coffee. And here's one by Bodum. Mine is a Bodum like this, but about half the size. And this one looks pretty sturdy.

10. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

Planetary Design makes some fantastic press mugs. They come with two lids. With the regular drinking lid, my Boot Cut press mug holds 20 ounces of coffee. With the press lid, you make the coffee in the mug and then drink right out of it, too. The drink hole in the lid has some mesh in the opening to keep you from drinking any grounds. I've tried a number of different press pots and this one makes the best press coffee I've ever had, hands down. With the press lid, mine makes about 16 ounces of coffee.

Caribou Coffee sells them and I'm sure they can be bought from other places as well. I ordered mine online because I didn't want a big logo on it.

11. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

Im not a coffee or expresso drinker but I have to say, that handpresso is pretty dang neat.

12. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

...and for heating it, I think an alcohol stove might be ideal. Quiet, lightweight, compact, and nearly odorless. My favorite is the Penny Stove. It's easy to use and heats well. My whole kit (except for fuel bottle) fits inside an Olicamp 16oz. cup (available from Campmor).

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

13. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

I just stick a filter in a folding funnel and pour the hot water through into a insulated mug. I use a MSR Whisper Lite Intl to boil water, but it is more of a hassle than a Jetboil or other gas canister style stove.

14. itsrob

itsrob Empty Pockets

I've tried all sorts of things, but the cheapest/easiest method that makes coffee I enjoy drinking is the filter cone. Brews slower than a funnel so you get better coffee, and is cheap and light (though the cone can be sort of bulky). Uses #4 filters. Available in the piedmont of NC at the grocery store and kitchen supply places for $10-$15 with a coffee pot. You don't need the pot, just set the cone on top of your mug, put in filter, coffee, and boiling water, and wait.

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Black-Manual-Coffeemaker-2-6/dp/B0000CFLCT/

They also sell a smaller version designed for single cup use, but I've never seen one in person so I've not tried it. Gets good reviews, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-640008-Coffeemaker-Cup-Manual/dp/B0014CVEH6/

One of the things I like about the #4 cone might not work with a #2 cone -- as it is I can pour in the right amount of water to fill my mug all at once but with a smaller cone you might have to pour more than once to fill your mug.

I actually alternate between using this and a french press at home, as the coffee is quite good using this method.

15. Phaeton

Phaeton Empty Pockets

After French press, I think Melitta makes the best coffee. Added advantage is you do not have the cleanup mess that you do with the press.

The #2 filter will make 2 cups (American cups) of coffee. They also sell the filter cone with a 16oz travel mug to make a complete system. You can carry your filters and coffee inside the cone a mug to save space. The cone itself weighs almost nothing-under 2 oz.

Mark

16. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

I have me one of these for my Nalgene:
    [​IMG]

17. Jambo

Jambo Loaded Pockets

Can't believe no-one's mentioned this yet!

Aeropress

I just bought one over here in the UK, it makes such good coffee and it's so hassle-free I'm going to give my coffee/expresso machine away. It's that good.

18. Grizhicks

Grizhicks Loaded Pockets

I have a metal thermos from REI (about 16 oz), that has a screen in the lid. Drink straight from the thermos and the screen blocks the coffee grounds. I use a course grind (press grind), and it works very well, AND does not seem to get bitter after sitting a while. My 2-cents. -- Greg

19. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

It does make good coffee if you like non-acidic coffee... but it kind of kills Kenya AA and such.

20. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

I have to try an Aeropress! It sounds great!

Thank you!
    Dirty Bob