1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Hike carry?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by larcher75, Apr 7, 2017.

1. larcher75

larcher75 Loaded Pockets

I plan on doing a lot of hiking this year and just curious everybody's preferred carry method while hiking. Was thinking owb but afraid my pack might be in the way of a clean draw but worried iwb might not be good due to sweat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. heck333
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

heck333 Loaded Pockets

I generally carry OWB, but my pack doesn't have a waist strap, so there is nothing in the way of a clean draw.

What are you planning to carry? How do you normally carry? Whatever you decide, try it with your fully loaded pack at home. That way you can make sure you have free access to your pistol.

Greg

LivingUpNorth, larcher75 and Wishoot like this.
  3. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

What are the chances of you running into other hikers? Are you more worried about 2 legged vs 4 legged creatures? When I would hike the eastern Sierras I would actually shoulder carry a 6" .357 in one of those US Military issue tan shoulder holsters. While my buddy would OWB carry a fully loaded Berretta M9. After 2 days of that he put it in his pack. We ran into a bear but we all screamed and ran away. Including the bear.

4. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Depends on:

- What you plan on toting.
    - Where you plan on hiking.
    - What threats could potentially develop during your hike.

Where I hike, I'm far more concerned with 2-legged predators than I am the 4-legged variety. I'm comfortable with my 9mm Shield IWB at around 3:00 and a reload. My day pack doesn't interfere with quick draw.

If I were hiking where bigger animals where a threat, I'd probably opt for a bigger gun with bigger bullets in a Hill People kit bag or a good chest rig.

DCBman and Dirty Rod like this.
  5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

You know, out in the backcountry / wilderness, is about one of the few places where I don't feel compelled to carry a pistol in a ready condition. Oh sure, on the Kenai or Russian during springtime I carry one (not sure if it's more for the bears, or the nut cases), but otherwise, meh, don't need the additional weight. Yeah, I might stick a pocket pistol in my pack, but about 95% of the time I even forget about that. Animals don't worry me nearly as much as crazy people do! In more populated areas, I'm armed 100% of the time. That's where the real dangers are.

It's a shame really (for some) that about the only place they really can carry a sidearm is in the backcountry. It's a travesty in my opinion (2nd Amendment rights trampled all over). This is why I consciously choose where I live, and proudly open and/or concealed carry...always. I actually prefer open carry because it's sooo much more comfortable. Plus, I think it's a much bigger deterrent the clowns who've got some (not so) 'bright' idea about doing something stoopid.

Anyway, to your original question...there's really three options. One, is a chest rig, or two, you can modify your pack load belt to accept a holster, or three, you can get a gun belt long enough to fit over the top of your pack belt. If you wear one side of the belt just over the top of your load belt it will stay put. Otherwise, just stick the pistol in your pack in an outside pocket. Don't worry, it's pretty unlikely you'll get into a quick draw match with a critter. Bears and cougars are a little different story, but most average hikers don't really get into their 'hood' too much. Plus, they'll know when they do...or should anyway.

#5 DCBman, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Dog boy, alessandro.salvi and Wishoot like this.
  6. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Agree with Wishoot. Depends on where, how long you might be out, and what kinds of animals might be in the area. That said, I never change my carry method. Even while hiking, same IWB holster, same draw stoke, however I might bring an extra mag. I'm generally more worried about food, water, med kit, a fixed blade, and any survival gear I might need.

Dog boy and Wishoot like this.
  7. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Actually, now that I think about it, I've seen some pretty slick chest rigs integrated into pack harness straps. There's usually quite a bit of flexibility to rig this arrangement on upper pack straps.

ballistic and Wishoot like this.
  8. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Yeah, really unless you're in AK, remote Colorado, northern WY or northern MT, the 2-legged critters are far more of a risk than 4-legged ones. Cats are the biggest issue here in CO (especially this time of year). Bears more so in northern WY and MT. AK is a different matter. I guess I should probably include northern and western Canada too.

Wishoot likes this.
  9. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I'm still searching for the perfect solution, myself. The best I've come up with, like others have mentioned, is a holster on the pack's waist strap or a chest rig. Trying to tighten a padded waist strap over the top of either an OWB or IWB setup was just too uncomfortable.
    If I wear a smaller pack that doesn't have/need a waist strap, I'll go OWB for quickest access.

Dog boy likes this.
  10. larcher75

larcher75 Loaded Pockets

I prefer to stay concealed if possible, I live in a very gun unfriendly state and prefer to not alarm any other hikers I may come across. Has anybody tried appendix carry while wearing a day pack?

11. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

I carry AIWB regularly with a light day pack. The short version for me is AIWB and most significant/padded waist belts do not work well with my geometry. Some skinnier belts simliar to Arcteryx in the one inch range seem to work slightly better on my frame. The bigger issue is a decent cover garment that works. You will be compromising no matter what, often going without a waist belt.

Outside, I have a rural/hiking threat environment with Cougars, meth labs/small grows and assorted ne'er do wells. I carry a handgun as part of anticipating those risks, albeit low risks.

In the past, I vary outdoor recreation carry to the activity.
    Running, scrambling and heavier hiking with a survival systems chest holster (even some kayaking)
    Biking and kayaking with a Kelty sling pack (highly recommended) or an old Action Direct chest pack, which looks a lot like a Hill People chest bag
    OWB, as noted, the most comfortable when in the trail

Dog boy likes this.
  12. Thesteve_global

Thesteve_global Loaded Pockets

I've never carried while hiking, i usually have my SOG Seal Pup handle down on my left pack strap and binocs on my right. In the event that I'm somewhere where bear mace is appropriate, that goes below my binoculars.

If I were to have a desire to pistol carry, I would say chest or thigh rig. Thigh rig probably being preferable since I have my chest loaded up pretty decently.

[​IMG]

mn_five_oh and rkazooti like this.
  13. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

14. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

Saved me the trouble of a long post!:cool: I have two Kit Bags and use them a lot for camping and hiking. Occasionally I'll carry two sidearms while on the trail, my normal EDC gun (either an HK P30S, P2000 or VP9) IWB @ 3:30 and an HK USPf9 in the KB. More often I'll go with just the KB if it's overnighter or just the IWB if I plan to be home before dark. The reason is that the USP is set up with an Inforce APL light. Years ago while camping I needed to use my sidearm at night (this was before I had any WMLs) and it was eye opening! If I am going to be out in the woods after dark I want to have a gun with a light on it.

15. RogueDuck01

RogueDuck01 Empty Pockets

I always carry hiking/backpacking.
    Taurus TCP 380. Pants cargo thigh pocket on strong side.
    Small, very lightweight and makes a lot of noise!
    Gun loaded with 2 extra full mags - Still lighter than most EDC rigs.

rkazooti likes this.
  16. rkazooti

rkazooti Loaded Pockets

My trail cams have picked up bear, wolf and large cats around my property over the years. When I'm hiking with the dogs or Grandkids I want to be sure to hit what I'm aiming at. [​IMG][​IMG]

T-3 and huntnow like this.
  17. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

If I am in a state park on a day hike I don't carry. It is illegal to do so in my state. However, if I am camping/hiking/fishing in national forest area or on private land, I will carry OWB concealed.

rkazooti likes this.
  18. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

I almost always carry a Glock 35. It has been with me for a few longer treks. While it's a large handgun, I find with a good holster it's not uncomfortable at all. I shoot it pretty well so that always encourages me to carry it. That and a 15 round mag.

rkazooti likes this.
  19. EldoEsq

EldoEsq Loaded Pockets

Glock 23 for me... Still conceals very well and only give up 2 rounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

rkazooti and huntnow like this.