1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Higonokami friction folder.

Discussion in 'Knives' started by MOD-u-LAR, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I'll probably get one at some point too. I was under the impression that most of them were Super Blue steel? Also anyone who has a link for a dealer who sells the legit real thing, post it up. There's a lot of copies out there.

2. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

Search on eBay. Most, if not all, the listings there should be from a dealer that sells genuine Higonokamis. The only high profile "counterfeit" is the Maruyoshi Higo Knife (the one with the drawing of the samurai on the handle), which are apparently made by someone who worked with Kanekoma but left due to some disagreements between the two. From what I hear, the Maruyoshi knives have a better fit and finish than the Kanekoma Higonokamis.
    Be sure to post pictures when you get it.

3. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

The one I bought is a Kanekoma. I went with 100mm LL instead of the 120mm EL because New Zealand has rules against importing folding knives with a blade length over 100mm, and while I'm sure the 100 is less than 100mm on the blade, I'm not so sure about the 120. If they're hand made there will be variation, and that means that the blade might be over 100mm which could end up with it confiscated. That would suck.

4. Nilloc

Nilloc Loaded Pockets

5. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

That's the one I bought from. It's from Japan, so seems unlikely that it's a knock off, not least because it costs as much to make a knock off as a genuine item.

Nilloc likes this.
  6. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

What do you guys mainly use these for? JW I kinda want one but never really heard of them til now.

7. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

I think I'll keep it to take out and admire periodically. I can't see any use that I don't have another knife that'll do the job just as well. To be honest a Svord is probably a lot safer for use as a pocket knife.

8. =RedFox=

=RedFox= Loaded Pockets

The smaller ones fit nicely in the side pocket of skinth as a back-up blade. Thats what I use em for....oh and they're inexpensive

littlequick likes this.
  9. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I had one a year or two back and gifted it to a friend of mine who was absolutely fascinated with it. Now he always has it in his pocket with him and I keep it sharp for him. Probably the best gift I've ever given since he and that knife are pretty much inseparable. Thanks to this thread I just ordered another one. Both the gifted one and the one I ordered are Nagao made. Once Nagao passes on there won't be any more makers of genuine Higo no Kami knives so they'll become collectible. Definitely worth having a few of!

10. Nilloc

Nilloc Loaded Pockets

I ordered a 95mm Nickel plated with laminated steel blade. Can't wait to get this in and see how it feels. If anything, I'll store it away and give it to my son one day when he gets older.

11. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

They're insanely simple. They aren't the most ergonomic blades in the world, but they're super intriguing and fun to fondle. For the price and the quality of the Aogami Blue Steel it comes with it's hard to find an excuse NOT to have on in my collection. Hence why I made the order with no looking back. :)

12. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

A very nice little knife, and from a minimalist perspective terrific. Blade, handle, and the rivet that acts as a pivot. It makes the Svord with 8 components look positively extravagant. The blade is about 90mm long, and the handle slightly over 100mm. The edge is sharp enough to take hair off, but not what I'd call scary sharp (mind you my standards have probably changed since I started sharpening my own knives).

Not sure I'd ever carry it out of the house (there are a list of knives competing for my attention) but it certainly opens letters nicely.

13. KOKUSHI MUSOU

KOKUSHI MUSOU Loaded Pockets

What a coincidence. Mine just came in today too.
    [​IMG]

Liberteer, Xiii, Nick4305 and 3 others like this.
  14. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

Drool. Must resist.

15. Nilloc

Nilloc Loaded Pockets

Got mine today in the mail...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xiii, =RedFox= and Freman like this.
  16. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

Sorry, old thread, but...!

I noticed Shun (the Kai USA kitchen knife line) makes one of these in VG-10 as a "Gentlemans folding steak knife."
    Anybody have one? It's quite a piece at about $150.

17. lekvar

lekvar Loaded Pockets

I've seen them posted here every now and again. Absolutely gorgeous knives.

18. Knucklehead203CT

Knucklehead203CT Loaded Pockets

Just ordered mine!!!!

19. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

One of my favorite and most carried knives. I love mine. I want another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

20. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I like them, too, except that the blade touches the handle and that it's so hard and brittle that I can't sharpen it on my diamond stone without making a second bevel. I was reading that you must use a softer stone for sharpeing, but that's not for me.
    So I just use the second bevel and installed a stop pin made of a nail. Not perfect (not brass...) but working:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the way, the dark color cames from vinegar. Wrapped the blade in kitchen paper and put vinegar on it to get this pattern, same on the handle, but there it didn't work so good and I was too lazy to do it again.
    Oh, and the knife smells fishy after that "treatment", better consider it and use mustard instead...

Xiii likes this.