1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

High quality "Rescue" tools ?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Draglid, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

That is exactly my thinking as well. Nobody needs a 10-in1 with a LED light, whistle, normal blade, belt cutter, carbide tip, etc.

I carry a knife anyway, would like to add a simple punch. An auto punch is awesome, but I have had a few hang up on me in the workshop. I think a kubaton type punch is basically completely unbreakable - at the correct hardening. I have seen videos of stainless tips fold over after banging against glass.

bpa likes this.
  2. Wo0ki3

Wo0ki3 Loaded Pockets

Benchmade Triage with the blunted sheepsfoot is a pretty stellar tool and quite EDCable if you're no dealing with tight pockets. Rides low and snug all day long for me.

Loadout likes this.
  3. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

So I broke down and ordered one of the Solo Scientific auto punches. Not yet sure how I will test it when it arrives.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Loadout: any auto junkyards near you? I've seen on these forums some guys took devices like this to a junkyard to test on car windows...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Loadout likes this.
  5. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I'll definately have to make a plan when I receive it.

6. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

INGEAR AutoXscape 3-in-1 tool

[​IMG]

Blackheart likes this.
  7. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

Boker Plus Jim Wagner Rescue. Had one for awhile. It was pretty beefy and solid, but too big for me. I carry a Buck Strap Cutter now. The Boker is still a great rescue/first responder tool, though.

[​IMG]

Not my pic, taken off google.

Nick4305 and WillAdams like this.
  8. Chris_1001

Chris_1001 Loaded Pockets

Bought two on Tuesday. One for each car.

Loadout likes this.
  9. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

You could also check out eickhorn.
    http://autoknife.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2601
    In this handle, they former produced a knife for german special forces. But the knife itself is against the law in germany, that is why you do not see it very often. And propably it is the reason for the remake as a "tool".

Last edited by andy3101, Apr 7, 2017
    #29 andy3101, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  10. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

MOD CQD MkII

11. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

My speculation is ceramic and many metallic window breakers use frequency to break the side window auto glass (the old ninja rocks method). With water on one side of the window, the frequency resulting from the strike is dampened. I believe a stout hammer blow is still a viable tool, but more than willing to be schooled by someone with some understanding of crystalline fracture.

It does make me think about how would a Tesla handle being submerged due to their electric doors and unusual geometries. Going out the window may be the only option.

12. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

So my Solo Scientific punch arrived yesterday. Now I just need to find a window to test it on....

13. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Time to visit your local junk yard methinks!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

14. hibby

hibby Loaded Pockets

Dunno about crystalline fracture, but I know about fracturing and bruising bones and tissue when you crash and airbags are deployed. I couldn't swing a hammer with any force last time I crashed.
    If the car does fill up with water, the resistance created by the water during a hammer type swing will not be enough to break windows.

15. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Although it has a slightly different focus, the Leatherman Raptor shears have a belt cutter and breaking tip.

tbzbbt

16. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Boker tech tool has a glass breaker and versions 2 and above have a serrated belt cutter as well. None of the blades lock which could be a bonus depending on where you live. I like mine.

17. Lannister
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

For a multitool, Leatherman has the Skeletool RX

18. SlimJim16v

SlimJim16v Loaded Pockets

Yep, if under water, I doubt anything but a spring loaded punch would work.

Oh, if you're not worried about underwater, you can get replacement caps for the end of Maglites with carbide tips. I have AAs with these in our cars. However on a C or D Maglite the added weight would be a great help.

Also have the ResQme.

Last edited by SlimJim16v, Jun 16, 2017
    #38 SlimJim16v, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  19. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

Benchmade Triage... Bombproof and very pocketable/useful just as a knife that also has rescue tool features. Google it and check it out. Comes in Black or Orange...

Wo0ki3 likes this.
  20. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

I have a benchmade triage, and the way I look at it is this... It makes a great strong bombproof pocketknife and I would pay the price of admission just for that. The side benefit is that I never have to think to remember to bring anything else with me to have my rescue equipment on my person. Since I'm not an EMT/Fire/Police Odds are I may never need to break someones window or cut a seatbelt, but the fact that the knife is no bigger than a ZT350 means I'm basically getting those features at no size/weight penalty and they are always with me. The breaker and cutter on the triage are both replaceable as well if you are a hard user.

I have seen at least 3-5 cars in my area/year drive off a bridge into water and I decided about 5 years ago I would not be "that guy" that drowned because he was trapped in his car and could not get out. I also bought less expensive keychain models that serve the same purpose off amazon for my family members to have in their car. Just so happened I needed to replace my pocket knife at the time and saw this as an option I thought would work well.