1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

High quality "Rescue" tools ?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Draglid, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Draglid

Draglid Empty Pockets

Does anyone know of any high quality rescue tools/knives ? I've been looking around for one but can't seem to find any with the requirements I need that actually have good reviews.
    By rescue tool I mean something with at-least a seat belt cutter and a glassbreaker (preferably one that works underwater), anything extra is just a plus !

Any recommendations ?

2. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

3. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've always trusted my Leatherman Wave to do those things and many other tasks on-scene.

4. Draglid

Draglid Empty Pockets

That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks !

KeyeEl likes this.
  5. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

You're welcome :)

6. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

This or/and this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I admit not as compact as a MT but these two things will cut just about anything you needed cut that isn't paper. Plus on box cutters you can even get the hook blades but I am sure you can cut a seat belt just as a easy with this.

7. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

As far as MT and this is coming from a long time owner of the Wave; get the Charge instead.

8. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I've been looking for something similar for a long time, I'd like to have a glass breaker and maybe a strap cutter like what's on the knife below, the only other requirement is that the blade must be under 3" and non locking!,......just because of the nonsense law we have here in the UK.

Also due to the non locking blade aspect I'd like a finger choil/guard to be present, just to give a degree of safety to the user, whenever the blade is used. I've looked at the Spyderco UKPK Rescue knife many times, real shame that it doesn't have a window breaker otherwise I would have bought a few for family members etc.

[​IMG]

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and Journo like this.
  9. CanadianFireFighter

CanadianFireFighter Loaded Pockets

Check out the Benchmade Triage 916, my duty knife that stays with me all the time.

10. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I can’t see what speedy meant because of the removed hotlinked images.

There’s the Victorinox Rescue Tool; usually you find the OHO, but if relevant there is or has been a THO version, too. Basically a knife, it has – among other tools – a front shield saw (replaceable), a seat belt blade and a window breaker (replaceable).
    The Leatherman Raptor is shears-based, with a window breaker and a seat belt hook blade. The other tools are more medic-orientend.
    Both have similar prices, at least here in Germany.

11. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

Just a heads up the ResQMe tools are only a good choice to keep in a car or something for a single use. As a FF/EMT lots of guys I work with had these and they wear out fast. Do not expect these devices to work more then a handful of times so if you want something for fire/rescue/survival use look elsewhere.

P.S. Expect it to take multiple tries to break a window of a modern car with one of these.

P.P.S. My recommendation for the OP is the Leatherman Z-rex tool

12. Draglid

Draglid Empty Pockets

hmmm, thanks ace19636 il look into more of a multi tool then.

Nyfe likes this.
  13. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

I've been very happy with my raptor. Before that I had a spyderco assist which doesn't have a dedicated belt cutter but I was also quite pleased with. Only got rid of it because it was a little awkwardly thick for the carry I was looking at back then. But as far as windows go a good old fashioned punch is still my preferred tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

Another good choice is Victorinox Rescue Tool its one I use regularly.

15. eqlzr

eqlzr Loaded Pockets

Draglid: You raise a fascinating question that I've never heard before. I wonder which glassbreakers don't work underwater?

16. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

I do not know for sure but since most of the spring loaded ones are kinda gimmicky and barely have the power to break a window above water I would imagine most would not be able to do it underwater. Now that being said most fixed glass breakers would be able to if you could get the momentum.

17. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

Old thread, but still relevant.

Has anybody seen/used the Auto Glass Breaker from Solo Scientific? Looks like a quality tool that will last.

18. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I keep a Victoinox Rescue tool in my car.

19. Loadout

Loadout Loaded Pockets

As much as I appreciate and use multitools, I'd really like to get a good dedicated punch and belt cutter.

Nobody seen the Solo Scientific punch in the wild?

20. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

My inner-knife-a-holic says the Benchmade Triage is the hot ticket as it is also useful outside of the realm of rescue. The old EMT in me says carrying a simple spring loaded center punch and trauma shears is all that is needed. Back when I was an EMT there were only a couple times where I needed to cut a seatbelt to extricate someone and both times the shears were all that was needed. It's amazing what those inexpensive ($5-$6) shears can cut. As to the center punch, they don't cost much and work every time, you might only have to take it apart and oil it once in a while.