1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

high quality lighter

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by asd123, May 11, 2015.

1. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

News flash: Douglass is also making a camo lighter:

[​IMG]

Man, if they'd put some MOLLE on that it would cause every mall ninja to swarm while trying to buy!

Seriously, in addition to the camo one, the Company is now selling a Sterling silver-plated one. Next time I have $1,1000 laying around I'll get it (OK, not really ... the chrome one works just fine!).

Bad Company and madlag like this.
  2. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

I quit smoking years ago due to health reasons. I actually used to smoke nice cigars from Dominican, Honduran, Nicaraguan, and even some Cuban. Part of what I also miss is the whole ritual of snipping the cigar head, and taking out a nice lighter to gently warm the wrapper. Keeping the lighter is like a little memento from that time.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. madlag

madlag Banned

yea thats a very sharp lighter indeed.

Bad Company and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. Doc Steelgrave

Doc Steelgrave Uber Prepared

Class act!

Bad Company and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. Ben Rubinstein

I was excited about the look of that Douglass until I saw the price!

I use the standard Zippo pipe lighter. Love the use in all weather, especially for the long lighting time that a pipe requires where being wind proof in invaluable. I do not however enjoy having to use ranger bands or refill constantly. I know there are different inserts, non of which appeal for my aesthetic taste or usage but how hard can it be to design a zippo with seals around the lid? It does seem obvious. Would have to be silicone and the hinge would have to be redesigned to allow the lid to sit slightly higher when closed but otherwise it's long overdue, would probably be simple enough and as a result cheap.

6. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

Thanks Doctor

7. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

I smoked 40 sigarettes a day for years and finally quit 3-4 years ago. In adition to 4 zippoes, several cool sigarett cases and an onyx ash tray i carry around another little memento from my smoking days: Asthma (god's way of telling you that you have smoked quite enough for one lifetime)

8. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Check out the douglass / marvelous type k, it's basically a zippo without the leaking and it's much cheaper than the field s. I'm also pretty sure the field L has the same o-ring seal around the wick as the field s (just no seal around the flint), but you might want to double check on that.

I have both a type k and a field L, but i've not used them yet as this bloody Field S won't run out! 34 days of solid use and it's still working!

In the morning and if i remember, i'll check the field L to see if it has the o-ring or not.

9. Ben Rubinstein

I tried googling the douglass type K and came up with an article on colonoscopy. :)

10. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Oh yes, that'd help to find a matchbox in the dark... as it does, like, 99+% of all modern lights ;)

Any compact handheld device that's supposed to produce fire and/or light should be GITD orange with a tritium on top!

madlag and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  11. madlag

madlag Banned

and small as humanly possible;)

12. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Douglass / marvelouss are just brand / range names of the japanese lighter co who actually manufacture the lighters. The type K is sold under the marvelouss range.

However after actually having a play with mine (type k) it'll still have some leakage / evaporation as there is no seal on the lid. Once my field s runs out i'll fill the type k and see what kind of time frame i'm getting out of it between refills. Oh and the field L doesn't have a silicone seal around the wick like the field s has either.

Hope that helps.

13. nbehrman

nbehrman Loaded Pockets

Cutlerylover on youtube does a really good full review of these. (Spoiler alert...he likes 'em).

14. Ben Rubinstein

Anyone use these high power torch/jet type lighters with a pipe? Seems to make sense for easy and quick lighting regardless of wind, problem is that I can see myself easily damaging the briar and also sucking in super hot air.

Got my eye on a wenger asterion.. :)

Last edited by Ben Rubinstein, Oct 3, 2015
  15. madlag

madlag Banned

I've used them before but don't like it. As you say it's either the pipe, or your tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

well i've just gone to light a smoke and it's finally ran out, so i make that 37 days or approximately 780 cigs.

Also when i tipped the reserve tank in, there was no signs of any evaporation.

That's mighty impressive in my book.

I've since topped it up properly and refilled the reserve tank and i will leave it to sit until i've had a play with the Type K and then the Field L and ran both of them out.

17. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

... 37 days: dang, that's awfully impressive! Thanks for keeping count for us ... I'll bet no one at Douglass has taken the trouble to do something similar.

madlag likes this.
  18. madlag

madlag Banned

Yea ill second that dang. 37 days and almost 800 cigs. Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

While I agree with your sentiment absolutely, please see exhibit a.

Exhibit a. Harley-Davidson

1930s technology, premium price. Huge brand image. Very loyal customer base.

When Harley introduces a new engine, or god forbid... electric arggghhhhhhh!!!!

Make the Zippo modern, lose the classic fans, or maybe convert them?

20. Ben Rubinstein

Nah be sensible and just sell the seal as an add on. Cummon Kickstarter, that's an idea that would sell!

madlag likes this.