1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

high quality lighter

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by asd123, May 11, 2015.

1. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

karandras, I smoke the occasional cigar so I know what you mean about needing a light sometimes. But, I've even had other situations where a light was needed. Good example: I was taking a Hapkido weapons class and the instructor decided we should use the wooden practice sword, the Mokgum, to extinguish a candle flame without touching the candle. (I know, this sounds easy ... but it's not, especially with a downward stroke).

Anyway, he had the candle all set up on a wooden stand ... but no lighter or matches. Seventeen people in the group ... no lighter or matches ... EXCEPT I had a trusty Bic and some matches in my truck.

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Aug 28, 2015
    QuodErat, karandras and kertap75 like this.
  2. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Not that there's anything Wrong with that :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

malraux72, CSM-101, karandras and 2 others like this.
  3. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Seems like if there is a possibility that fire can be kindled, you will kindle it! Come hell or severe high flooding

4. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

At least there was one pyro in the group.

Even before i started smoking, i always carried a lighter on me. It's something to fiddle with as well as something to help keep me warm / find my way / light a smoke etc.

Oh and my douglass is still going strong after 5 days of heavy use (went camping friday till yesterday), not managed to make it run out of fluid yet.

QuodErat and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. KMajors

KMajors Loaded Pockets

I have a Xikar Executive. It makes a nice strong jet flame but requires quality butane.

6. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

I understand the need to have flame on your person. Even 3 yerars after having quit smoking I still always edc atleast 1 lighter. Usually a True utility keyring fire stash

7. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

I must stop checking this forum out! I am going broke! I need a Douglass Field S lighter like I need another hole in my head!!! Ha!!!

8. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

lol, they are fantastic bits of kit. Mine's still going strong after 8 1/2 days solid use. I'm kinda interested to see how long it lasts before i have to open the reserve tank.

mauiblue, madlag and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Well it's day 22 and i still haven't had to open the reserve tank yet, gotta say i'm amazed.

Makes you realise just how inefficient / wasteful a zippo really is.

QuodErat, madlag and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  10. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

I think that's the second to last thing I said just before ordering mine. (The last thing I said was, "Oh, what the :censored:".)

madlag likes this.
  11. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Lol yeah same, now thanks to you lot i've got a K & L type on their way as well :oops: . Sometimes my bank account really hates this forum :p.

QuodErat, madlag and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  12. madlag

madlag Banned

Lol yea I think I've refilled mine twice since I've had it. It's amazing how long it keeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

14. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

Any suggestions on where I should buy a Douglass lighter. I've seen them on sale at Blade HQ. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

QuodErat, Cobra 6 Actual and madlag like this.
  15. madlag

madlag Banned

I ordered mine from blade hq.

16. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I don't and have never smoked. I live in a part of Texas where it gets cold enough to need fire MAYBE 10 days a year. That said I TRIED carrying a Zippo but it NEVER lit when I needed it to. I carried a Peanut lighter for a while. Now I have a Butane Jet Lighter in the truck. A butane Torch here by the desk. A Ronson Jet Lite by my bed. And Bics here and there. Those Bics ALWAYS light!

Whoops! Most of the regular sized butane lighters around here are King made in Thailand. But they light first time EVERY time.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  17. madlag

madlag Banned

This may be totally subjective and unscientific but I don't like the whole "disposable" mentality. BIC's are good and have there place. -I've empties many of them. I read once that a bic gets around 30 or so minutes of flame time so it costs roughly 3 cents per second to use or something like that. My gut feeling is that one of these Douglas lighters will eventually pay for itself and look good while doing it. Plus, there's no waste.

I'm not a hippy or anything I just miss the buy something and use it forever mentality. We all waste but I have to be idealistic somewhere. A man used to save his salary for a watch that was passed down for generations...now we use 'em till the battery dies and buy another.

18. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I will grant you that madlag. But I haven't actually bought a lighter in two or three years.
    And the main use I have for them is burning the end of paracord. Which doesn't occur ALL that often.
    One of those Douglas lighters would be cool. But I don't NEED one.

19. madlag

madlag Banned

Heheh I don't think any of us need half the stuff we end up buying here. Truth be told we could all make do with a sod buster or cheapo fixed blade and a bic.

20. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

I think madlag hit the nail on the head, i could easily not have bought a douglass lighter and carried on using a zippo or a bic / clipper lighter (hell i got stung for half the cost of the lighter in import duties etc but i've still gone and ordered another 2 versions). But there's just something to be said for a quality product. I'm fairly confident that with a bit of tlc my field s will outlast me and will be something i can pass on to my son once he's at an appropriate age. Although if he ever tries to smoke, i'll tan his backside regardless of how old he is at the time.

The older i get, the more i value the quality and longevity of something (ok except cigarettes). Maybe i'm just getting tight with my money, but i'd much rather pay 4 times the price for something that lasts 10x as long.

But each to their own.