1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

high quality lighter

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by asd123, May 11, 2015.

1. madlag

madlag Banned

Cobra, thanks for the info. That's quite nice indeed! I assume it seals and doesn't leak fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. madlag

madlag Banned

Yes sir. As far as usage I smoke a pipe so I may not strike mine as often as you, but I do run it for longer periods at a time. 1 light for the initial burn, then tamp it and light again. -I do this for each smoke. First light is about 5 - 10 seconds and the second is more like 25 - 30 seconds or so. I expect our mileage will vary a bit but I can't wait to hear your report.

I've used a :censored: zippo for years and have to fill them every three days. I never truly filled them up to where I thought they should be bc they would leak everywhere.

3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

madlag, it does, indeed, seal. Also, it has a 'tank refill system' that slides in from the bottom. You can just see the base of it in the photo. The only thing I haven't found yet is someplace that sells additional refill tanks.

By the way, if you plan to purchase one definitely shop around: you're in the USA so the best price, including shipping, should be about $35.

Here Comes The BOOM and madlag like this.
  4. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Ahh nice, so yours is seeing a fair bit of use as well then.

I'll post up once it arrives, it's now spent longer in customs than it took to travel from japan to the UK :( . I just hope it arrives before i go away for the weekend on friday :cry:.

QuodErat, madlag and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. madlag

madlag Banned

we need a "show your lighters" thread hehe

6. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

you mean like this one. http://edcforums.com/threads/show-your-edc-lighters.75745/

My Field S, should arrive today after being held hostage in customs for 3 :censored: days :mad: .

Cobra 6 Actual, if Douglas ever suss out a UK / European distributor, i'd probably order a few more of their lighters. But for now i think i'm done with ordering from japan, i don't have the patience to wait for customs to pull their finger out, plus the customs charges where half the value of my order including parcel farce's handling fee.

7. Cobra 6 Actual

Yeah, that's one of the problems of newer companies: distribution is uneven. I'll bet you could easily convince Heinnie Haynes to start carrying the full range of Douglass lighters, though.

4rmless, QuodErat and madlag like this.
  8. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Now there's an idea!

You evil enabler, you.

Oh and my field s arrived safe and sound this morning, absolutely love the design of this, it's so well thought out. Lights first time every time, now just gotta see how long it lasts between refills.

QuodErat, madlag and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. Cobra 6 Actual

Hey, that's our job: Enablers helping other enablers! Thanks again for the PM! And that Douglass Field-S will get even easier to use as it "breaks in."

QuodErat and madlag like this.
  10. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Frankly, my Maratac stainless steel never fails me and keeps zippo fluid a long time.

11. madlag

madlag Banned

Mine is still running strong on the fluid I put in it. It's also starting to get a nice patina

[​IMG]

I love this thing!

12. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Lol, you are welcome.

To be fair it's not exactly hard to use now, it's not as easy as a zippo, but it's on par with my imco's.

Only downside is i've now seen the full range and have another 3 or 4 models i really want to buy. So far the list includes the L, A2, F-70 and i've just seen the K type, which is now top of my list.
    Take it you mean the "peanut" lighters, i've got a mini version that lives on my house keys and a larger one in my main fire lighting kit. Cracking bits of kit, but being a smoker, i couldn't use one as an everyday lighter.

madlag, Lellobeetle, QuodErat and 2 others like this.
  13. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

Yeah, easy for me to say because I'm not a smoker, so don't use it every day, but it's solid and doesn't leak and it's a tank. I also carry the small Zippo fuel canister and between the two, never run out of fuel.

madlag and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  14. madlag

madlag Banned

I considered one of those as a backup but I try to keep my keys slim as possible

15. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

Yeah i have a fuel canister with the peanut lighter in my main fire lighting kit (it probably needs slimming down a bit tbh as there's far too much in it). They are handy little things.

I keep the fuel canister in my bag and just a mini split pea lighter on my keys, i also always have a mini clipper on me and a couple of cheap lighters stashed in the car.

Thinking about it, i always have at least 3 lighters on me, my main one (now a field s), the split pea and a mini clipper. Plus there's at least another 2 lighters in my bag and about 3 other ways of making fire (matches, ferro rod, fresnel lens). I may be a bit of a pyro at heart :).

Cobra 6 Actual and madlag like this.
  16. madlag

madlag Banned

My gosh man! We call that being a fire bug

17. Cobra 6 Actual

No, Madlag, I call that "my kind of guy": the exact mix of fire-making tools may be a bit different, but I like the concept. In emergency services we talk about having critical positions with extra people cross-trained as being "three deep" ... it works for EDC tools, too! (I know you're just kidding with him, by the way.)

CSM-101, karandras and madlag like this.
  18. madlag

madlag Banned

hehehe I know. Yea I carry all my junk around too. You should see the crap packed into my truck man.

19. Cobra 6 Actual

That is why we Americans love trucks ... mine is the same way!

karandras and madlag like this.
  20. karandras

karandras Loaded Pockets

LOL,

Yeah 1 is none, 2 is one and 3 is better.

It's seriously annoying when you are desperate for a smoke and you have no way to light it, so i learnt my lessons quickly.

I do tend to have a fair bit of redundancy built into my kits as you never know when something will break, get lost or generally just cause you issues. My edc bag is a rush 12 so i can't carry too much, plus we have some weird and wonderful laws over here in the UK that effect what's able to be edc'd. But yeah there's a GHB & a fairly comprehensive FAK in the boot of my car (4x4) that'll see me right if i ever need them.

Edit: here's a pic of my field s in chrome, as there's only pics of brass ones in the thread.

[​IMG]

SMAJ and Cobra 6 Actual like this.